Funimation Release Doesn't Include DB OP2 & END 2-4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Funimation Release Doesn't Include DB OP2 & END 2-4

Post by PrinceVegetto » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:16 pm

I came across the following video today and realized Funimation never included this in its release of DB. It failed to include the other OP and ENDs too.

Does anybody know why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsspV1qKcI

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Release Doesn't Include DB OP2 & END 2-4

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 pm

I assumed it was because Toei either didn’t provide FUNimation with the animation, or that the video quality was too poor, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable about how these things work can shed some light on it.

PowerPhantom245

Post by PowerPhantom245 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:09 pm

Because it's Funimation.
What do you expect? lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm

Minor pedantic correction. The Funimation release does have the second ending. They don't have the first ending
The two endings are nearly identical but the second ending is updated to include Kuririn and Lunch and omits some scenes in its place like a cross dressing scene between Bulma and the boys and Bulma looking forlorn on her bed

Version 1 https://youtu.be/mUXe8vqdvx4?si=WKtHSDjsD31vSH9R

Version 2
https://youtu.be/jvazPsZaU-s?si=CH6v4oFkUAYn6odP

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 pm I assumed it was because Toei either didn’t provide FUNimation with the animation,.
This is without a shadow of a doubt what happened. It's not even a unique thing. The Pioneer release of Sailor Moon S and SuperS only got the second opening for the respective seasons which spoiled some mid season changeovers for both. Harmony Gold appeared to have only gotten the second opening to original Dragon Ball since that's what they used. I'm fairly certain Funimation might have originally only gotten the Cell saga version of Head Cha La since that's the footage they mined for Rock the Dragon. (Also someone who actually grew up with that dub correct me if I'm wrong but I heard the Latin American Cloverway dub also used the Cell saga Head Cha La animation from the beginning)

It's easy to blame Funimation for everything and they deserve a lot of it, but things like missing openings and endings and missing insert songs on the Japanese music track are definitely a Toei thing

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:47 am

Right, it's very likely Toei didn't hand out the original masters.
The Latin American dub, which is extremely faithful to the source material, didn't get the alternate openings and endings for the original/GT either. We never got an adaptation of "Don't You See!" and I'm mad.

Sailor Moon was the same, we never got any alternate endings other than the very first one.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:47 am.

Sailor Moon was the same, we never got any alternate endings other than the very first one.
Tbf the 2nd ending in the first season kind of sucked imo. No big loss

The 2nd ending in SuperS was fun though.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am Tbf the 2nd ending in the first season kind of sucked imo. No big loss

I would put up with Princess Moon if we didn't lose Otome no Policy, Tuxedo Mirage, Watashitachi ni Naritakute, Rashiku Ikimasho, Sailor Star Song and Kaze mo Sora mo Kitto, and many of the insert songs like Ai no Senshi or La Soldier.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:47 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am Tbf the 2nd ending in the first season kind of sucked imo. No big loss

I would put up with Princess Moon if we didn't lose Otome no Policy, Tuxedo Mirage, Watashitachi ni Naritakute, Rashiku Ikimasho, Sailor Star Song and Kaze mo Sora mo Kitto, and many of the insert songs like Ai no Senshi or La Soldier.
Oh my bad. I misunderstood and thought you only got the first opening for each season not just literally the first opening for the entire series.

Yeah it definitely sucks losing all those songs

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm Minor pedantic correction. The Funimation release does have the second ending. They don't have the first ending
The two endings are nearly identical but the second ending is updated to include Kuririn and Lunch and omits some scenes in its place like a cross dressing scene between Bulma and the boys and Bulma looking forlorn on her bed

Version 2

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 pm I assumed it was because Toei either didn’t provide FUNimation with the animation,.
This is without a shadow of a doubt what happened. It's not even a unique thing. The Pioneer release of Sailor Moon S and SuperS only got the second opening for the respective seasons which spoiled some mid season changeovers for both. Harmony Gold appeared to have only gotten the second opening to original Dragon Ball since that's what they used. I'm fairly certain Funimation might have originally only gotten the Cell saga version of Head Cha La since that's the footage they mined for Rock the Dragon. (Also someone who actually grew up with that dub correct me if I'm wrong but I heard the Latin American Cloverway dub also used the Cell saga Head Cha La animation from the beginning)

It's easy to blame Funimation for everything and they deserve a lot of it, but things like missing openings and endings and missing insert songs on the Japanese music track are definitely a Toei thing
Yup, and to get a creditless version of the first and second Cha-La OPs they had to splice in footage from Movies 1 and 2 respectively with the 3rd OP.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm Minor pedantic correction. The Funimation release does have the second ending. They don't have the first ending

Version 2

Yup, and to get a creditless version of the first and second Cha-La OPs they had to splice in footage from Movies 1 and 2 respectively with the 3rd OP.
Thank you, I remembered hearing something like that before but couldn't remember the specifics. :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am
Those are fighting words. It's way better than the first one.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:48 am

PrinceVegetto wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:16 pm I came across the following video today and realized Funimation never included this in its release of DB. It failed to include the other OP and ENDs too.

Does anybody know why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsspV1qKcI
Funimation couldn't add op v2 and ed v1 3 4 simply because Toei only provided them with 16mm with creditless op v1 and ed v2
kineko video managed to get few episodes reels given internationnaly and they simply don't have NEP and japanese op end , only creditless op v1 and ed v2, i suppose that at that time, Toei probably didn't have anymore the others creditless as you can see in the japanese dragon box that also only have NCOP V1 and NCED V2

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am
Those are fighting words. It's way better than the first one.
I don't even like the first one that much :lol:

Now, I will fight you if you insist Princess Moon is better than Maiden's Policy, Watashi-tachi ni Naritakute, and Rashiku Ikimasho

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm

As some posts above have said, in topics like this, people definitely need to consider what part that Toei themselves have to play in all this, since it's been established time and time again that they're nowhere near being satisfactory in the home release department either.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm Version 1 https://youtu.be/mUXe8vqdvx4?si=WKtHSDjsD31vSH9R
Holy shit, I skipped all the EDs when I watched the sub, I had no idea this version existed. Yamcha makes kind of a cute girl???

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:46 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm Version 1 https://youtu.be/mUXe8vqdvx4?si=WKtHSDjsD31vSH9R
Holy shit, I skipped all the EDs when I watched the sub, I had no idea this version existed. Yamcha makes kind of a cute girl???
Honestly being able to see the correct OP and EDs and the NEP was the highlight of watching the Dragon Box version of og Dragon Ball. Kind of ruined the Blue Bricks for me but oh well

But, God, if we had to be stuck with one version of Romantic Ageru and Makafushigi Adventure I'd have pick the cross dressing one and the Piccolo era one

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:49 pm

If that animation with Goku and the others in dresses had been done today, especially by a Western company, there would’ve been a bunch of outrage from Internet grifters.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:05 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:49 pm If that animation with Goku and the others in dresses had been done today, especially by a Western company, there would’ve been a bunch of outrage from Internet grifters.
Gods forbid if they ever saw episode 5 of Dragon Ball, or its thematic remake in GT.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:05 am
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:49 pm If that animation with Goku and the others in dresses had been done today, especially by a Western company, there would’ve been a bunch of outrage from Internet grifters.
Gods forbid if they ever saw episode 5 of Dragon Ball, or its thematic remake in GT.
They seem to have a recency bias when it comes to their outrage about this stuff. You don’t see them making videos with stupid thumbnails for those old Looney Tunes shorts where Bugs Bunny dresses like a woman and kisses Elmer Fudd on the lips. Truth be told, I imagine that a lot of these reactionary YouTubers who make these videos for a living don’t particularly believe the nonsense they spout about the “woke mind virus” destroying entertainment. They’re just grifters who realized that pandering to the Gamergate crowd/MRA crowd is a very lucrative business model that requires little effort.

Anyway, I admit that I’ve veered a bit off topic here. Just felt like making an observation.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:34 pm

A few years ago kei17 posted a spreadsheet of different OPs/EDs and if their creditless versions had ever been released or provided for dubs after the early 90s. If memory serves, DB OP2 and DB ED3 are both presumed to be either completely lost or unavailable to Toei.
I don't know why Funimation's release doesn't include any of the (available) alternate endings, or why Toei didn't provide them if that is indeed the case.