Is original Dragon Ball really that unpopular?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Is original Dragon Ball really that unpopular?

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:05 am
GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:13 am A bit of a late addition (and realization) since the thread has gone 18 days without any posts, but...

Production order is really the only valid order to approach this franchise with. And apparently, even the original DB is still being referenced out there, with the most recent example I know being Edens Zero by Hiro Mashima. That first chapter is practically lifted straight out of Dragon Ball's, it checks all the right boxes.
It's funny because while Toei and Shueisha can be almost as bad as Funimation in treating the pre-Saiyan Dragon Ball as expendable, it's not like they completely ignore it. Z only viewers would have no reason to know who the fuck the Pilaf gang are and the Mafuba makes a comeback in the Zamasu arc. We even have the Red Ribbon army as focal point of Super Hero and even though Z only viewers would be familiar with them via the Cell saga it still has a reanimated montage of the Red Ribbon saga proper from original Dragon Ball.
As someone who started from Z, I thought Garlic Jr. from that post-Namek arc, was that Pilaf person but older and meaner, lol.
And when they talked about the RR army, Dr. Gero and Goku beating them when he was a kid, I assumed Dr Gero had already appeared on DB. I never went back to checked that out, not back then at least, but that sure made me want to revisit the original show.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:54 pmFirst this still doesnt contradict anything. I dont expect people to give One Piece 19 episodes to get good,
I distinctly remember way, way back in the day I had given One Piece more than 50 episodes to "get good". When it never did and I gave up on it, I was immediately told by One Piece fans on this very forum that I "hadn't seen anything yet" and that I need to make it to somewhere well over episode 250 (note, that's equivalent to a vast majority of DBZ's entire run) in order to get to where the series "really gets going".

This would not be the last time I was told this either over the years, and have even had some OP fans give me ridiculous numbers like "you need to make it to episode 820" or what have you.

I think you vastly underestimate the degree to which many One Piece fans are clinically insane and delusional.

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:04 pmAs someone who started from Z, I thought Garlic Jr. from that post-Namek arc, was that Pilaf person but older and meaner, lol.
I'm always amused by how many people (particularly people who were old school Ocean/Saban dub fans in the mid/late 90s) seemed to believe that. Its kind of buried by time and the later FUNi in-house dub and its Cartoon Network run, but for a time in the late 90s (when Ocean/Saban was the main English dub around), this idea that "Garlic Jr. was a later manifestation of Pilaf" seemed to be kind of a low-key dub misconception held by a surprisingly wide array of folks within that audience back then. :lol:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:33 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:20 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:54 pmFirst this still doesnt contradict anything. I dont expect people to give One Piece 19 episodes to get good,
I distinctly remember way, way back in the day I had given One Piece more than 50 episodes to "get good". When it never did and I gave up on it, I was immediately told by One Piece fans on this very forum that I "hadn't seen anything yet" and that I need to make it to somewhere well over episode 250 (note, that's equivalent to a vast majority of DBZ's entire run) in order to get to where the series "really gets going".

This would not be the last time I was told this either over the years, and have even had some OP fans give me ridiculous numbers like "you need to make it to episode 820" or what have you.

I think you vastly underestimate the degree to which many One Piece fans are clinically insane and delusional.

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:04 pmAs someone who started from Z, I thought Garlic Jr. from that post-Namek arc, was that Pilaf person but older and meaner, lol.
I'm always amused by how many people (particularly people who were old school Ocean/Saban dub fans in the mid/late 90s) seemed to believe that. Its kind of buried by time and the later FUNi in-house dub and its Cartoon Network run, but for a time in the late 90s (when Ocean/Saban was the main English dub around), this idea that "Garlic Jr. was a later manifestation of Pilaf" seemed to be kind of a low-key dub misconception held by a surprisingly wide array of folks within that audience back then. :lol:
I was talking about myself. Also I commend you on your patience with One Piece. But I still stand by what I said, if you are not enjoying yourself within 3 or 5 episodes one should just drop it and just admit its not their thing. I still thank you for sticking so far with One Piece even if you didnt really enjoy it aftera all.

EDIT: Also please dont use terms like clinically insaane to describe One Piece fans or just people you dont like in general. Delusional sure, CLINICALLY INSANE is really loaded and is pretty much an ableist slur. And I am not saying this because I like One Piece but as a person with mental issues (Who actually sympathizes with you and understands you gave it every possible chance AND also hates the idea of "This 52 episode long series gets good at EP 35!") I think its cruel to just hastily apply it to people you dislike.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:33 pmEDIT: Also please dont use terms like clinically insaane to describe One Piece fans or just people you dont like in general. Delusional sure, CLINICALLY INSANE is really loaded and is pretty much an ableist slur. And I am not saying this because I like One Piece but as a person with mental issues (Who actually sympathizes with you and understands you gave it every possible chance AND also hates the idea of "This 52 episode long series gets good at EP 35!") I think its cruel to just hastily apply it to people you dislike.
Noted, apologies.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:56 pm

Having Garlic Jr actually BE a strong version of Pilaf would have been an interesting idea though
It beats the "comedic" returns we got in GT and Super.

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tamagon » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:51 pm

As a mentally ill One Piece fan, I'll give Kunzait the pass to mock OP fans /sarcasm

People who say to watch a 100 episodes or so of OP to "see if you like it" feels like an attempt at tricking people into committing to OP via sunk cost fallacy or something. OP certainly gets better as it goes on, but a lot of what it's about is pretty evident early on.

To answer the thread's question, DB is certainly in Z's shadow, that's true even in Japan. To what degree its overshadowed depends on the country. I think most long-runners will have its "golden age" in the eyes of the public, so to speak, it's just real evident with Z because it's specifically marked as its own separate anime, and that just so happens to coincide with most of Z's golden age. As another shonen example, look at how most JoJo merch was based on Part 3 up until the anime.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:57 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:20 pm I guess it's more unknown than unpopular. Lot's of markets started with Z and then went on with GT. When you like a fighting show like Z or GT it can be tough to go to Dragon Ball next, since the tone is so different. I can see the more childlike tone putting off a lot of people.
Dragon Ball is a great series but I do think it works best as part of a trilogy, since what happens escalates in Z and then GT.
I would argue that GT is more different in tone to DBZ than DB is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:12 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:20 pm

One Piece is the only show I know where its fans will tell you straight faced "You have to watch the first 200 episodes and THEN it gets good". The "it gets good later on" argument is usually applied to a single season (so like 13-22 episodes) not twice the length of most tv shows.

As opposed as I am to skipping original Dragon Ball at least "It doesn't get good until Toei added Z to the show's title" people just argue to go straight to Dragon Ball Z not "watch the first 153 episodes and THEN it gets good" . And the people who advocate for watching original Dragon Ball actually enjoy it and aren't telling you to watch it out of obligation.

TL:DR: If a show needs over 100 episodes to "get good" and this is the common recommendation it's probably not very good.

I'm surprised the "Garlic Jr and Pilaf are the same character " conspiracy theories didn't exacerbate when Funimation's in-house dub of original Dragon Ball started airing on Toonami and Funimation just gave Pilaf the exact same voice as they did Garlic Jr*

*I know technically the whole Garlic Jr and Pilaf have the same voice actor who uses the exact same voice for both started in Canada with the 95 DB dub and Dead Zone but I don't think too many people watched the 95 dub

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:37 pm

It probably shouldn't even be a matter of "when it gets good" in the first place; If it isn't for you, then it isn't, regardless of what the series may or may not become later on.

YoungDefender

Post by YoungDefender » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:32 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:37 pm It probably shouldn't even be a matter of "when it gets good" in the first place; If it isn't for you, then it isn't, regardless of what the series may or may not become later on.
Agree to an extent with the caveat that it really depends on what the first exposure is. Imagine if the first episode someone saw of Z was the one were Gohan finds the buried robot in the cave and says "sheesh, 291 episodes of this?". Granted this is an extreme and unlikely example but just to make the point that what you see in episode 9 is basically a completely different show than the episode that ends the Cell games.

In that specific case the answer I think absolutely is, "just keep watching".

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:34 am

YoungDefender wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:32 pm . Imagine if the first episode someone saw of Z was the one were Gohan finds the buried robot in the cave and says "sheesh, 291 episodes of this?". Granted this is an extreme and unlikely example but just to make the point that what you see in episode 9 is basically a completely different show than the episode that ends the Cell games.
While I'm sure Funimation agreed with you since they originally cut the whole episode out (saved the beginning and ending that got attached to the dino episode) the robot episode is honestly one of the best one and done episodes of Z so I think it would have caught my interest.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:39 am

Ironically while I disagree with Defender, they have a point, but in a way they didnt intend. What if someone LOVED that robot episode and expected to see DB be that touching and heartfelt? Its still a very different episode. The most unique and different from the lot.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:20 pm I distinctly remember way, way back in the day I had given One Piece more than 50 episodes to "get good". When it never did and I gave up on it, I was immediately told by One Piece fans on this very forum that I "hadn't seen anything yet" and that I need to make it to somewhere well over episode 250 (note, that's equivalent to a vast majority of DBZ's entire run) in order to get to where the series "really gets going".

Apologies for the necropost, I know this is well over half a year old, but I wanted to add my two cents as to an experience I had recently that PERFECTLY demonstrates EXACTLY what you were talking about here.

While searching for something else I can't remember at this point, I ended up randomly stumbling upon a Reddit post that was from somewhere around three or four years ago where the poster complained that Sanji (you know... the guy who's probably the third or fourth most important character in a series that apparently has over a thousand characters at this point) hadn't received any real character development or fleshing out and never really became anything more than the insufferably annoying stock pervert character whose deepest, most complex trait is that he won't fight with his hands because he's a super-dedicated cook (*yaaawn*).

And OOOOH BOOOOY the way the responses JUMPED on his ass... just about EVERY comment was chastising the poster for having not read up to the then-current arc, and the guy was literally APOLOGIZING because he had only read up to a certain arc and hadn't fully caught up with the series yet. Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I decided to look up the arcs they were talking about... I don't for the life of me remember the names of the arcs nor do I care, but the then-current arc that 90% of the comments claimed finally gave Sanji his long-awaited backstory and development occurred OVER 900 MOTHERFUCKING CHAPTERS IN. In contrast, the arc that the poster had read up to was OVER 700 CHAPTERS IN.

SEVEN-FUCKING-HUNDRED!!! Imagine being harshly criticized because you've "only" read 700 chapters!!!! And even worse, imagine feeling like you need to legitimately APOLOGIZE for it!! Do these people SERIOUSLY not understand how ridiculous it is to say something like that?? I honestly cannot think of another super-long-running series where a huge portion of the fanbase will ride your ass when you complain that nothing's happened for literally hundreds of chapters, and genuinely think that "You just gotta read a few hundred more chapters, bro!! DUH!!!" is a reasonable, appropriate response. Even if someone is just an absolutely HUMONGOUS OP fan... HOW do they not realize how separated from reality they've become once they start making arguments like that?

Like, I understand why Cure Dragon doesn't like the term "clinically insane" despite the fact that you were clearly just exaggerating for a joke... but I don't think Cure Dragon would object, nor do I think it's even much of an exaggeration, if at all, to say that AT THE VERY LEAST One Piece fans certainly suffer from an UNBELIEVABLY severe lack of self-awareness.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:19 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm
Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:20 pm I distinctly remember way, way back in the day I had given One Piece more than 50 episodes to "get good". When it never did and I gave up on it, I was immediately told by One Piece fans on this very forum that I "hadn't seen anything yet" and that I need to make it to somewhere well over episode 250 (note, that's equivalent to a vast majority of DBZ's entire run) in order to get to where the series "really gets going".

Apologies for the necropost, I know this is well over half a year old, but I wanted to add my two cents as to an experience I had recently that PERFECTLY demonstrates EXACTLY what you were talking about here.

While searching for something else I can't remember at this point, I ended up randomly finding an Reddit post that was from somewhere around three or four years ago where the poster complained that Sanji (you know... the guy who's probably the third or fourth most important character in a series that apparently has over a thousand characters at this point) hadn't received any real character development or fleshing out and never really became anything more than the insufferably annoying pervert character whose deepest, most complex trait is that he won't fight with his hands because he's a cook (*yaaawn*).

And OOOOH BOOOOY the way the responses JUMPED on his ass... just about EVERY comment was chastising the poster for having not read up to the then-current arc, and the guy was literally APOLOGIZING because he had only read up to a certain arc and hadn't fully caught up yet. Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I decided to look up the arcs they were talking about... I don't for the life of me remember the names of the arcs nor do I care, but the then-current arc that 90% of the comments claimed finally gave Sanji his long-awaited backstory and development occurred OVER 900 MOTHERFUCKING CHAPTERS IN. In contrast, the arc that the poster had read up to was OVER 700 CHAPTERS IN.

SEVEN-FUCKING-HUNDRED!!! IMAGINE being harshly criticized because you've "only" read 700 chapters!!!! Do these people SERIOUSLY not understand how ridiculous it is to say something like that?? I honestly don't know if I can think of another super-long-running series where a huge portion of the fanbase will ride your ass when you complain that nothing's happened for literally hundreds of chapters, and genuinely think that "You just gotta read a few hundred more chapters, bro!! DUH!!!" is a reasonable, appropriate response. Even if someone is just an absolutely HUMONGOUS OP fan... HOW do they not realize how separated from reality they've become once they start making arguments like that?

Like, I understand why Cure Dragon doesn't like the term "clinically insane" despite the fact that you were clearly just exaggerating for a joke... but I don't think Cure Dragon would object, nor do I think it's even much of an exaggeration, if at all, to say that AT THE VERY LEAST One Piece fans certainly suffer from an UNBELIEVABLY severe lack of self-awareness.
As a One Piece fan it breaks my heart to see the fandom behaving this way. This is what caused to have my "5 episodes tops" thing with ANY media. Doing this to newbies is an awful thing to do. If you dont like something by then its just NOT FOR YOU and I dont condemn anyone who gives up by then. And yes, I DO NOT object to that UNBELIEVABLY severe lack of self-awareness part.

The only piece of media that truly did take more than that to get good was Pretty Cure Splash Star for me.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 pm

I think the One Piece fans telling you to get it a hundred or whatever episodes are all teenagers or in their early twenties. I watched a ton of episodes of the series, and you know what? The problems with it never get fixed. Even now, with Episode #1,101 having just aired, it still has the same issues—a slow plot, characters who don't really grow or have relatable experiences, terribly written female characters, et cetera—and the thing is, it'll never change. The series buys into its own hype and refuses to do self-examination.

Life is too short for this "Watch a hundred episodes" shit. If your series takes more than three or five episodes to take off, your series sucks and you should rethink how to create a beginning that draws in viewers.

And, again, I think that a lot of this has to do with age. Many of us being told to give these types of series a watch are adults, with less time and energy to waste on a series that's bad. Hell, I don't have the time or energy to even watch the series I enjoy now. How are you going to tell someone to watch 100 episodes when three episodes alone is an hour of someone's life?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:20 am

Funny thread in that I can definitely corelate with both DB and One Piece. When DB started in Germany in the 90s, I watched Digimon and avoided the series for a year, because it was outdated looking, slow, somehow it didn't grab me. Then I saw the match of Goku vs Piccolo Jr. on the tournament and thought, wow, that looks interesting, reminds me of Street Fighter and kung-fu movies and then I jumped into to french version by happenstance around Goku and Vegeta fight in Buu arc and was like, whoa, the updated artstyle somehow resonated with me, I did like the character designs for characters like Trunks and Buu. Went back to DB and watched it with Z from the beginning simultaneously.
I have saw the series in it's entirety years later, when I was 14/15 for the first time. It all clicked way before, as in the age of watching TV when things were actually airing and you have missed a lot sometimes, there was this sense of getting the overarching plot with curiosity about the stuff you have missed. Later, I had setup VCR to record DBGT from Polish TV, when I was engaging in sports and other stuff after school :lol:

With One Piece, I got into it out of the hype as the next big shonen after DB and bigger than Naruto in Japan.
The first problem was, that I wasn't and I am not really a fan of pirates, their romanticized version similar to how knights are portrayed, doesn't appeal to me even more for some reason.
But, gave it a chance. It was harder for me, as I was in my twenties already, to watch show for kids as most of the humor didn't land, but as I am fan of fighting and shonen elements, there were similar beats to some of the Dragon Ball, some of the world building appealed to me as well and One Piece fans were boasting how cool the cast and characters are and that in contrast to DB, the autor paid more attention to them plus that he was brilliant in foreshadowing. They weren't entirely wrong, quite the opposite on paper :)
I fell in love with the character of Zoro, Nami was a strong character compared to the fetishized anime female characters, that I hate and are one of the reason, that I can't stand Gundam Seed series, even tho I am a huge fan of Gundam in general.
The character specific humor made me laugh. Chopper is cute and funny thanks to his Pikachu voice actress :)

BUT it has incredibly slow moving plot with no endgame in sight which lead me to fatigue around 600 episodes on Fishermen Island (with the autor saying that we are actually in the middle), where the mermaid princess drove me crazy with how unbearable she was and many of the female characters were these classic damsel in distress tropes in contrast to Nami, her sister and mother.
The Alabastra arc was super boring, but I continued as I didn't had anything else to watch and invested a lot already into the show.
That arc in the sky with the god, or that horror themed one were awesome, then it actually started to get good for me and felt some pay off.

But that's the thing. With Dragon Ball, I had this sense of DB, Z, GT, enclosed shows with beginning, middle and end.
As a kid, I was sad about GT ending, but the older I was and finally read the original manga, I have really loved the ending from Toriyama, which basically gives you the option to dream and fantasize about what's next with the characters and coming up with your own stories, as it leaves you to want more. As Super came in, I was on the hype train and told many times how this is the continuation I wanted as a kid and that it will probably rectify lot of the GT problems. In a sense it did, but also created a load of different issues, production quality aside.
The fatigue hit again, as I kinda started to feel that I am watching basically the same thing, I did watch in Z, but it already appealed to me less then the original show did, for many reasons.
One Piece is basically building up, building, building up with no end in sight, where I feel that if Luffy won't get the One Piece at the end after all this time you invested in the show, people will be devastated like they were with the Game Of Thrones and the arcs basically feel like a filler that keeps you from the end game.
Maybe, if Luffy reached the One Piece sooner, as part of an shorter and enclosed series and then in went into different direction, I might feel a sense of completion and maybe, would give the next series a try.

It's hard for me to really judge a kid's long running show as an adult with less time and more comfortable with limited and enclosed shows,
but I agree with everyone, that if the show, story and characters do not appeal to you up to like 5 or 6 episodes, you should probably drop it and do not feel bad about it. 100 people, 100 tastes.
But I can see being a huge fan of something and being basically overwhelmed by it (experience that was prevalent on elementary school), to believe and say that it is awesome and you should definitely watch it, as a recommendation. But not to force people into the stuff you like, if it's not their cup of tea. Same with cult movies and good movies, etc. Is Oppenheimer well crafted and good movie? I'd say yes, but it doesn't mean that it's the best movie ever and everyone should watch it. Same with going to invest hundreds of hours for some show to get good.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:07 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 pm I think the One Piece fans telling you to get it a hundred or whatever episodes are all teenagers or in their early twenties....

...And, again, I think that a lot of this has to do with age. Many of us being told to give these types of series a watch are adults, with less time and energy to waste on a series that's bad. Hell, I don't have the time or energy to even watch the series I enjoy now. How are you going to tell someone to watch 100 episodes when three episodes alone is an hour of someone's life?
Just to clarify something:

I myself was at least 21 or thereabouts when I first started posting on this forum, and certainly wasn't much older than maybe 22 or 23 when the initial One Piece incident I recounted earlier in this thread had occurred.

Even back then at that age, this whole "you have to get to at least episode 31,567,357,3647,336 before things REALLY get going and pick up, otherwise you can't judge it" thing was beyond ludicrous. By the time I was 18 or 19, I had two jobs, I was going to college full time, I was dating, I had a large friend group that I'd go out regularly with, and by age 20 I was also struggling with chronic health issues and had to navigate the fucked up U.S. healthcare system on top of all those things, etc.

In other words, even at 18, 19, or 20, most normal people still have a fucking life. Depending on where you live, if you're anywhere from 18 to 21, I got news for you: you're an adult. You're not a "kid" anymore. Endless free time to watch cartoons all day tends to go bye-bye for most people by the time college rolls around, or hell, even by high school.

If you're a late-teenager or early 20-something who is able and willing to spend days and days and days at a time blowing through a zillion hours of something like One Piece, that isn't normal (or healthy) for that age. At that age, you should be going to school, working, doing fun things with friends, working toward some kind of essential life goals, etc. You know... living.

The point is, age isn't really a valid excuse here.

The fact that I, as a then 22-ish year old full grown fucking man, who was an employed college student with a girlfriend and a healthy, functioning social life and real adult problems in life on top, took enough of what minimal free time I DID have back then (and to be sure, I probably have even way less now today as a 40 year old man) to watch 50 syrupy/schmaltzy-ass fucking episodes of One Piece... frankly that is BEYOND charitable and dare I say, of nigh saintly-patience (to say nothing of incredibly fucking dumb on my part, I make no bones about that) for most average, regular people at that age and with a regular, active adult life to lead.

Though in my defense, at that point, I was still coming off of almost a dozen years throughout whole the entirety of the 90s, and with little tips of the late-most 80s and early-most 2000s sprinkled in, of not being steered TOO wrong very much at all by most anime recommendations, particularly ones as near-universally enthusiastic as the kind One Piece was getting at that point... but also I wasn't quite just yet fully hip to the MASSIVE change in audience that anime had experienced right around this point and the full ramifications of the transition from the 80s and 90s direct market to the 2000s kids' TV-centric market (though I certainly would be in very short order not long after that).

Point being, I was still at that point in the habit of taking word of mouth from the broader anime community/audience at least mostly seriously, and One Piece was being hyped up, even back in the early/mid 2000s, as being the anime equivalent to The Human Condition Trilogy or something. I was still used/conditioned to THAT level of hysterical hype and universal praise from so much of the anime audience being reserved for stuff like Galaxy Express 999, Ashita no Joe, Grave of the Fireflies, Ghost in the Shell, Angel's Egg, Patlabor, Perfect Blue, Robot Carnival, etc.

So generally speaking, I had more than a decade of being trained to listen to that kind of glowing word-of-mouth from the community (of the 80s and 90s at least) and being usually rewarded with something incredibly special. One Piece was one of several early wake-up calls to me that those days were over with now, and the makeup of the fanbase and what sort of creative elements it valued/prioritized in anime titles wasn't in any way remotely resembling what it once was.

I'm not in any way exaggerating: in 2003/2004, mass throngs of fairly grown people not too much younger than I was or pretty close enough to the same age as me, were unironically talking about this dumb fucking pirate anime like it was life-changing, mind-rewiring stuff, and the edgiest, most engrossing shit Japan had ever put out in the history of all Japanese anime and media.

Just the first few episodes of "You're Schmoopy! No YOU'RE Schmoopy!" thinly and unconvincingly disguised as swashbuckling pirate adventures quickly put the lie to that nonsense, but I still soldiered on for several dozen more episodes out of a combination of disbelief at what I was seeing, mixed with morbid "rubbernecking a car crash" bile fascination, and just the sheer stark contrast between the description/hype of the fanbase for this thing vs what was actually there on screen in front of me in reality. Eventually though I threw in the towel, and I think I watched a bunch of Michael Mann neo noir, Richard Linklater & Sidney Lumet dramas, and Hong Kong Heroic Bloodshed movies for the following few months after just to rinse the taste of emotional diabetes and manchild from my synapses.

I digress. My main point being, the whole "Well these are just 'kids' in their late teens and 20s, so its understandable that they'd make the case to give a schmaltzy pirate cartoon written and presented in the most emotionally histrionic way imaginable more than several thousand episodes before it gets halfway kind of interesting, maybe" is in no way a valid or acceptable case to be made here.

Even at 18 to 20 years old (hell, ESPECIALLY at 18 to 20 years old), there's something seriously and worryingly amiss if mainlining thousands upon thousands of hours of a cartoon that consists of little more than the core cast of characters whining and sobbing hysterically about the joys and importance friendship is somehow more appealing to you than just... going out and hanging out with your actual, real life friends.

Because I spread them out a whole bunch (for obvious time and life reasons), those 50 episodes of One Piece I watched took me, I dunno, probably several weeks for me to get through. But I knew/know of plenty of people, including within this very community right here, who ran through WAY more episodes than I did in a fraction of that time. At roughly the same age I was back then circa 2003/4/5-ish, which was college age for me, and maybe late high school at the youngest for a lot of these folks back then.

This is partly why both One Piece itself, and moreover the diehard, dedicated, and fanatical nature of its fanbase for much of the last 20+ years now, has always left me not just mystified, but also maybe just a touch concerned in some ways. Because people with a full, normal adult/young adult life and with a healthy, functioning, active social life... they don't need to vicariously experience friendship and camaraderie through the conduit of a shitty kids' cartoon (that's ostensibly aimed at pre-teen kids, but is written and presented more as if its aimed at toddlers). They can just go out and experience the real thing for themselves, no problem.

At 18 to 20 years old, no one should NEED to be told by Luffy (through a hailstorm of tears and sobbing) that "Friendship is the most awesome, important thing ever!" 90,000 times per episode across thousands of episodes of One Piece... its the emotional/psychological equivalent of being stressed so urgently the health need for bathing and showering regularly. By 18, it should be a total non-issue and long-since old hat. It shouldn't need to be stated, restated, and certainly not sobbed over so much.

And moreover, if you're an 18 to 20 year old who needs to be told about the importance of Friendship and needs to experience it vicariously through this cringe-filled cartoon because its so lacking in your own life....

...then more than just the fact that that's not healthy or normal, its also more to the point incredibly, deeply, and genuinely, sincerely sad and tragic. Like, for real.

This actually kind of seamlessly branches off into a WHOLE other tangent that warrants its own thread quite frankly, so I'll just stop here for purposes of not derailing this thread any further than it already has been.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:43 am

I've got a bit further in One Piece (like 150ish episodes) and do intend to one day see the entire series (even if that's by the time I retire) but I agree telling people it gets good after several hundred episodes is absurd. I don't know if some of the One Piece fandom even realize that's giving their beloved show even bigger shoes to fill. There's so many great long running series out there, but no one gives a reason why One Piece is so much more special. I've legit heard some One Piece fans say they're on their 5th/6th rewatch, like, how does anyone find the time for all that? I didn't have the time to rewatch Dragon Ball that often when I was at second level education, never mind college.

One thing that's great about Dragon Ball is if you want to introduce someone you can't go wrong with the movies, which are short but sweet 40-48 minute flicks that give you a feel of the story and the world. I'd say any of the 3 original Dragon Ball movies give someone a solid introduction, maybe not Sleeping Princess if horror isn't their thing, but definitely Legend of Shenlong and Mystical Adventure.
Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:07 am
This actually kind of seamlessly branches off into a WHOLE other tangent that warrants its own thread quite frankly, so I'll just stop here for purposes of not derailing this thread any further than it already has been.
I believe this has been done before but if you have any original ideas along those lines (which I wouldn't be surprised if you do) go for it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:52 am

I don't think I can even give anything 5 episodes. It might be unfair, but there have been plenty of times when I started a show, decided to give it a chance well into a handful of episodes, it never gets good, and then I feel like I have to keep watching because hey, maybe it'll get good and I'm way too invested to not finish. My wife and I went on a streak of just horrendous shows that ended up being a complete waste of time.

Two episodes to hook me in some way or I'm passing. It honestly shouldn't take any more. I'm not saying that the entire story needs to be laid out in two episodes, but there has to be something to hook me. If the main protagonist(s) doesn't appeal to me or if the subject matter doesn't appeal to me or anything at all, then I'm out.

It's like Death Note. I was very, very late to the Death Note party, but I like it as an example. Obviously the story didn't unravel in the first two episodes. But, I had it on in the background once and episode 1 was okay, but episode 2 had that L broadcast and as that unfolded, I was totally hooked.

If a series can't do something to make me believe that I would enjoy it by episode 2, I'm sorry. I'm not willing to spend 10 hours of my life watching something that I'm not interested in just hoping it gets good.

I have gone back and forth with myself on One Piece, but I have this mentality that if I invest my time into something, I have to watch all of it. I can't imagine watching a portion of something--just feels incomplete. And every time I kick around the idea of getting into One Piece, I look at the episode count and it turns me off. I am not wasting all of my free time watching something that I might or might not like. At best, I'll get bored and drop out early. At worst, I'll actually like it and feel like I have to dedicate years and years and years to watching it all. Nah.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 am

I've given up on shows after 1 episode because of how disinterested I was in what was going on. These days I'm more of a movie guy anyways. But my general rule is to at least try for 3 episodes.

I do get that some shows do take a while to get going. Telling someone they have to get through 200 episodes before a show gets good is batshit though. And I know from experience that's the One Piece fan mentality.

Bringing this back to Dragon Ball I do think the first arc isn't really that good and I'm not even sure I could have gotten into it if I was expected to start from the beginning. If I were to recommend Dragon Ball to a newcomer I would probably say start at the Red Ribbon arc (around episode 30, since episode 29 is a transition episode) or at episode 14 with the Tenkaichi Budokai arc. Then if they like that arc start from the beginning (and of course I wouldn't tell them they need to watch the entire arc first) or maybe just recommend a really good one in done episode of the series as a sampler.

Likewise, with more episodic shows I would just recommend an episode I really like instead of proclaiming "the first season is rough but it gets really good by season 2!"