Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm The lack of marketing for this show is something else. Sometimes I forget this is coming this year.
Apparently in the beginning Daima was supposed to be a project without Toriyama, but then he got involved and contribute a lot.

I would like to know how much changes Toriyama did and who had the brilliant idea of turning the entire main cast into kids.
Yeah,no, if the marketing started so early people would be burnt out of the show before it even began.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 pm

Fall 2024 is still a while away. I’m assuming it won’t premiere until October at the earliest, so it’s not like there’s a rush for Toei to reveal more information.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 pm

I would definitely wait until August before complaining the show has no marketing

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 pm I would definitely wait until August before complaining the show has no marketing
People in 1983

This Dragon Ball Manga thang has no marketing to it, Lame. Wont sell one book!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:07 am

Why does Daima need marketing when it's coming to TV? The marketing will do itself.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:41 am

Pretty much all anime receive advertising, it's rare for anime not to at least get one trailer. Normally there's a spike in advertising 2-3 months before a series airs; one common trajectory is for a show to get a teaser when first announced (an announcement video without any footage from the show), sometimes years in advance, and for the proper trailer to come during the anime season prior to the show's airing. Normally I'd say that since Daima has already gotten two trailers that that might be it, but the second one being labeled Character PV: Goku obviously implies that other character previews will follow.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:41 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:07 am Why does Daima need marketing when it's coming to TV? The marketing will do itself.
I think the whole Netflix binge watching killed the awareness of people of how media should be marketed.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:36 pm

The show has zero risk of bombing. I'm not worry about marketing at the moment.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:28 pm

I wonder if Toei will make simuldub in several languages for Daima or it will be up to the companies that obtain the license to decide when to dub it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 pm

Marketing is still a thing in Japan. I know the US has a habit of just dumping shit and never thinking twice of it, but that's a result of executives being dumb as hell lol.

Heck, Daima is being prompted through events/con led by Iyoku upwards of a year before release. Promoting Daima has been a pretty obviously important thing for the production committee.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 pm Marketing is still a thing in Japan. I know the US has a habit of just dumping shit and never thinking twice of it, but that's a result of executives being dumb as hell lol.
And even that's a relatively recent phenomenon. Companies like Netflix just decided word of mouth can do its thing and then they cancel a show when their unadvertised show doesn't get as much viewership as they hoped.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:07 pm

People complaining about lack of marketing for a show 6 months away need to get a grip.

But I realise this is a common thing with some Japanese properties but all you really need are a couple exiting trailers a month or 2 before release and the hype train will fuel itself.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:05 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 pm Marketing is still a thing in Japan. I know the US has a habit of just dumping shit and never thinking twice of it, but that's a result of executives being dumb as hell lol.
And even that's a relatively recent phenomenon. Companies like Netflix just decided word of mouth can do its thing and then they cancel a show when their unadvertised show doesn't get as much viewership as they hoped.
Yeah, they'll produce stuff, avoid paying people, and then sort of just dump shit, and it's exhausting because it feels like exceedingly poor running of a business and a creative business. Like, there's not even any pretense going on anymore, they're just doing what they think will cost the least and absorb the most profit.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:00 am

Hey guys, I'm back. Anyways, if Dragon Ball Daima ends up coming to TV/streaming services only, I hope that in Japan, at least, it airs in the same timeslot as DB, Z and GT - every Wednesday night at 7PM. Not only would it be a cool callback to the past, but it'd also allow for less censorship in the TV version. It'd build anticipation for the next episode, which can lead to more online discussions and fan engagement between episodes, like when Super was still airing. (too bad I was too young to participate!) And it's just like DB Ireland said in another thread - a weekly schedule on TV offers a time for people to tune in, where you know countless other fans are doing it at the same time as you.

Surely some of you guys remember the joy of going onto Adult Swim every Saturday night at 8PM to watch a new episode of Dragon Ball Super, right? I sure as hell do. I'd like to have that same experience with Daima.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:12 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:00 am Hey guys, I'm back. Anyways, if Dragon Ball Daima ends up coming to TV/streaming services only, I hope that in Japan, at least, it airs in the same timeslot as DB, Z and GT - every Wednesday night at 7PM. Not only would it be a cool callback to the past, but it'd also allow for less censorship in the TV version. It'd build anticipation for the next episode, which can lead to more online discussions and fan engagement between episodes, like when Super was still airing. (too bad I was too young to participate!) And it's just like DB Ireland said in another thread - a weekly schedule on TV offers a time for people to tune in, where you know countless other fans are doing it at the same time as you.

Surely some of you guys remember the joy of going onto Adult Swim every Saturday night at 8PM to watch a new episode of Dragon Ball Super, right? I sure as hell do. I'd like to have that same experience with Daima.
It's been announced for TV in Japan.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 pm

Dragon Ball Daima should have better writing compared to Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super.
Other anime has surpassed Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, while DBS failed to surpass it, instead it is inferior compared to those two.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat May 04, 2024 5:42 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 pm Other anime has surpassed Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z
That's all subjective you know. For me and many other people, DB franchise stands at the top.
Most of these other anime wouldn't exist without it either...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 04, 2024 6:10 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:42 pm
super michael wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 pm Other anime has surpassed Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z
That's all subjective you know. For me and many other people, DB franchise stands at the top.
Not all anime is Naruto and One Piece

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sat May 04, 2024 10:32 pm

Most anime wouldn't exist without Kimba The White Lion, including Dragon Ball itself.
Therefore, Kimba The White Lion is superior to Dragon Ball and every other anime combined.

...see how flawed that logic is?
As influential as Dragon Ball is/was, having Z's/GT's/Super's level of writing today is unacceptable.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 05, 2024 5:49 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:32 pm
Most anime wouldn't exist without Kimba The White Lion, including Dragon Ball itself.
Therefore, Kimba The White Lion is superior to Dragon Ball and every other anime combined.

...see how flawed that logic is?
As influential as Dragon Ball is/was, having Z's/GT's/Super's level of writing today is unacceptable.
Yet Super was one of the most popular, ground-breaking, and beloved Anime of the 2010s.

You are sorely mistaken if you seriously think that Zoomer and Gen. Alpha kids care about writing.

The fact that they love trash like Jujusu Kaisen is proof of it. DBS clears its competition.