"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Re: "Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by Rinsankajugin » Sun May 05, 2024 12:30 am

Didn't Raging Blast 1 and Ultimate Tenkaichi have cutscenes? I feel like there should be a basis there, especially since the devs named dropped UT's Japanese name (Ultimate Blast) in the gameplay showcase.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 05, 2024 9:27 am

^ Were they on-par with the Budokai 1 cutscenes?
Did they show unique models and animations like Bulma finding a spaceship with Mister Popo in a landscape that was made just for that scene and Kame Sennin receiving a phone call at Kame House? Nope.

From the get-go, they had some basic animation of Bardack horizontally rushing to nothing and then cut straight on being on the ground to face Freeza, no real direction trying to emulate the original scene. And then characters standing still with mouthflaps and - like BT3 - gameplay special moves triggering automatically to fill in the so-called cutscene sometimes. Even Goku flying on Kinto-Un with Piccolo to find Raditz was mostly an idle animation with the background passing by. This is NOT what Budokai 1 cutscenes were like.

Ultimate Tenkachi used stiff preset animation, making characters like the Saibaiman facing Krilin rush one meter away before standing still in mid-air, then one second later cut to the in-game character-switch mecanic to make the Saibaiman somehow arrive from the sky like any character switching it, etc. And would you call that on-par with Budokai 1's fully storyboarded cutscenes?

Even Kakarot, the most detailed story rendition in DB games yet, mostly uses stiff preset animations triggered between lines and avoids modeling anything unnecessary and creating unique animations and unique 3D models like Budokai 1 had.

No DB game has managed to reach the level of constant cutscenes devs could afford back then with the limited content and the limited graphical/animation complexity of the time. I don't see this new game doing better.
There's a difference between asking for cutscenes with half-assed animations and shortcuts like all DB games have done after Budokai 1 and asking for full-fledged cutscenes with hundreds of unique animations that actually reproduce the staging, the storyboard of an episode with nothing really "preset" and everything done for every single movement and camera angle.

And if you want a more simple way to consider this all: why would this game - that has more 3D models to handle than most console DB games before simply with its roster at this level of technology - be able to generate cutscenes with thousands of unique models and animations like Budokai 1 did when no DB game has been able to do that for the past 20 years because it's too much to handle with the budget and time constraints?

So yeah, much as I would love it and it makes me really hope I'm wrong and you're right, right now I can't imagine having cutscenes showing Goku meeting Enma and Kaio in the afterlife, Piccolo fusing with God, Cell walking among empty clothes in the empty city, Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Gohan walking out of the Room of Spirit and Time with their torn clothes and talking to Karin and Yajirobe before the Cell Game or everyone saying goodbye to Future Trunks in the proper clothes that they wear just for that scene.
This is how far Budokai 1 went and this is not how far this game is going to go according to me when it already has to model from scratch 160 characters and animate their dozens of in-game moves in dozens of wide landscapes, all of it with a current-gen level of details without noticeable technical issues...

I say the game is simply going to use the "tools" it already has to include for the gameplay anyway, like BT3.
What you'll see in the story is what can be told by placing the characters meant for the gameplay in the landscapes meant for the gameplay with the animations meant for the gameplay (special moves, maybe characters switching, transformations...). And it works when those gameplay characters, landscapes and animations are already meant to be impressive like cutscenes!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 05, 2024 12:21 pm

Infinite World did have fully rendered cutscenes, although they were few and far between, so even then, it’s not quite as ambitious as the first Budokai game.

UT also had those 2D animated cutscenes, if that counts.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon May 06, 2024 2:53 pm

As far as game cutscenes go DBZ Burst Limit had pretty good cutscenes, I'd put that one up with the original Budokai. DB FighterZ was fine, I don't have major complaints outside of a boring story. DBZ: Kakarot was good when it was good, and bad when it's bad.

As much as I would love something as beautifully rendered like the Naruto Storm series, or some stuff from the Guilty Gear series, I couldn't see it happening the way I would want. One can dream though...
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Tue May 07, 2024 9:14 am

The DBZ version of 17 has been officially revealed as just "Android 17", no (Z) classifier like with Goku or Vegeta.

This leaves a lot of implications with the classifications of other certain characters. Since Frieza and Broly both have the (Super) classification, it's safe to assume that their DBZ versions will just be called Frieza and Broly. The reverse goes for Piccolo as well, since it's pretty obvious the Piccolo they've shown off has the moveset of Piccolo (Early) from Tenkaichi 3. There's a good chance they might have given Piccolo (End)'s old moveset to a new version of Piccolo, most likely a Piccolo (Super).

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed May 08, 2024 8:11 pm

Rinsankajugin wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:14 am The DBZ version of 17 has been officially revealed as just "Android 17", no (Z) classifier like with Goku or Vegeta.
While that does make sense, where are you seeing him being known as "Android 17"? Only the Super version is mentioned on the website.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Wed May 08, 2024 9:52 pm

Thanos wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:11 pm
Rinsankajugin wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:14 am The DBZ version of 17 has been officially revealed as just "Android 17", no (Z) classifier like with Goku or Vegeta.
While that does make sense, where are you seeing him being known as "Android 17"? Only the Super version is mentioned on the website.
The twitter link that shows off DBZ 17, who is only mentioned as "Android 17". I know the Sparking Zero site only has Andriod 17 (Super) at the moment.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat May 11, 2024 2:28 am

This leaves a lot of implications with the classifications of other certain characters. Since Frieza and Broly both have the (Super) classification, it's safe to assume that their DBZ versions will just be called Frieza and Broly. The reverse goes for Piccolo as well, since it's pretty obvious the Piccolo they've shown off has the moveset of Piccolo (Early) from Tenkaichi 3. There's a good chance they might have given Piccolo (End)'s old moveset to a new version of Piccolo, most likely a Piccolo (Super).
Aw, man! So we won't get a Frieza who goes from 1st form to Golden?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat May 11, 2024 3:15 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:28 am

Golden Frieza was still of the Z brand so theoretically we could, but then there would be no reason for Frieza (Super).
I'll just be glad if all of Frieza's forms are in again, as they have been since the very first Tenkaichi game.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat May 11, 2024 8:01 am

sangofe wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:24 am Does anyone else than me think the english subs for the trailers are atrociously bad?
I don't pay much attention after the horrid dub-sub treatment of Kakarot in-game, but I guess this is some machine translating at it's finest :)
Xeogran wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:15 am

Golden Frieza was still of the Z brand so theoretically we could, but then there would be no reason for Frieza (Super).
I'll just be glad if all of Frieza's forms are in again, as they have been since the very first Tenkaichi game.
It would be super interesting, to be able to have blends of character's tranformations and skills based on character, rather than have Z versions, Super versions and what not. It created it's own set of weird things, but it was cool in Budokai series, to be able to go with one Goku, that had SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3 and 4 on him with Infinite World having GT Goku, that followed his GT progression of course.

I'd like to have the classic Sparking! option, of being able to pick character and his starting transformation, as well as be able to progress further. Golden Freeza to me is basically "SSJ Freeza", hence I can imagine his first form with three transformations and the last one being Golden or having Z and Super Freeza, as Z Freeza also had his 100% power form and that creates linear trans issue.

But I am fan of less character slots in favor of having the penultimate versions of them transcending the series variants.
Last edited by MCDaveG on Sat May 11, 2024 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat May 11, 2024 9:58 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:01 am
sangofe wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:24 am Does anyone else than me think the english subs for the trailers are atrociously bad?
I don't pay much attention after the horrid dub-sub treatment of Kakarot in-game, but I guess this is some machine translating at it's finest :)
Xeogran wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:15 am

It would be super interesting, to be able to have blends of character's tranformations and skills based on character, rather than have Z versions, Super versions and what not. It created it's own set of weird things, but it was cool in Budokai series, to be able to go with one Goku, that had SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3 and 4 on him with Infinite World having GT Goku, that followed his GT progression of course.

I'd like to have the classic Sparking! option, of being able to pick character and his starting transformation, as well as be able to progress further. Golden Freeza to me is basically "SSJ Freeza", hence I can imagine his first form with three transformations and the last one being Golden or having Z and Super Freeza, as Z Freeza also had his 100% power form and that creates linear trans issue.

But I am fan of less character slots in favor of having the penultimate versions of them transcending the series variants.
Aren't rather the subs dubtitles? Machine translations would probably be better.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:23 am

So apparently, we're going to be getting new info on the game every month now going forwardImage

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon May 13, 2024 11:56 am

I hope we get some information about modes soon like Story Mode or a mode like Galaxy Mode from RB2

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Tue May 14, 2024 9:14 pm

https://exputer.com/news/games/dragon-b ... 4-release/

Game was rated in Singapore, comes out this year

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 15, 2024 3:22 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:14 pm https://exputer.com/news/games/dragon-b ... 4-release/

Game was rated in Singapore, comes out this year
Can you please explain to me how we know that means it comes out this year?

From what I read about rating, it is:
July 2021) A video game content rating system is a system used for the classification of video games based on suitability for target audiences. Most of these systems are associated with and/or sponsored by a government, and are sometimes part of the local motion picture rating system.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed May 15, 2024 10:27 am

I was actually about to ask if there's any tentative release date.

The first "trailer", if you can call it that, came out on march of last year, and now they are saying we'll get news every month, so it would make sense the game is coming out this year.
I mean, 12 months of constant news and trailers sounds too much, how much can they put in the game to keep showing us a peak for that long?

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu May 16, 2024 1:32 pm

Characters confirmed:
Goten (Base, SSJ)
Kid Trunks (Base, SSJ)
Kale (Base, Controlled SSJ)
Caulifa (Base, SSJ2?)
Gotenks (SSJ)
Kefla (SSJ)

Stage confirmed:
World Tournament

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:41 pm

Fusions confirmed. I wonder how if the system is the same, taking Blast 1 stock to fuse.

Also... does that also confirm TEAM BATTLES? That bottom right image... not sure what that screen would mean. Questions for later...

Nitpick: I really don't like the colors for the SSJ hair and the skin... Trunks' hair color looks almost just like his skin color in that first shot.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Fri May 17, 2024 12:43 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:41 pm Also... does that also confirm TEAM BATTLES? That bottom right image... not sure what that screen would mean. Questions for later...
Indeed, the scan does say 5v5 battles are returning. Honestly glad, that's what I've been waiting for personally. And with 5v5s back, so are mid-battle fusions!
miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 pm Kale has yellow hair.
If I remember correctly, the yellow-haired form is regular Super Saiyan, and the green haired one is Super Saiyan 2.