Little known facts about your broadcast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Little known facts about your broadcast

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 08, 2024 9:23 am

Is there anything you know from watching Dragon Ball growing up that a lot of fans may not be aware of and isn't well documented or at all? Think of stuff that could easily be mistaken for being a mandela effect.

I've mentioned this before and I've not seen it said in other places, aside from some Youtube comments requesting promos but there was a programming block predating Toonami that aired Dragon Ball Z called A.K.A.

A.K.A was hosted by Jackie Potatoe, a character that resembles Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory with an afro that aired weekday nights between 7 and 9pm showing a good selection of shows new and old (at the time) like the Banana Splits, Wacky Races, Hong Kong Phooey, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Help!... It's the Hair Bear Bunch!, Harlem Globetrotters, Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory itself, Freakazoid and had an original show called Cult Toons.

While no promos seem to have survived I do remember A.K.A aired Dragon Ball Z at one time, possibly around the time it premiered in March 2000 as I seem to recall watching a rerun of some of those early episodes with Raditz at 7.30pm after the 5pm premiere. Hopefully someone out there still has the promos, it would be another great find in the never ending search for the abundance of lost media out there.

Little history lesson but back in the 90s Cartoon Network shared a channel with Turner Classic Movies on cable packages in the UK and Ireland, so if you had one TNT replaced Cartoon Network at 9pm. Sometime in 2000 TNT was being replaced on such packages and as I recall more people were getting Sky Satellite packages, I know my family got one around this time, I was so excited to have Cartoon Network round the clock as we did for the brief period in 1999 we lived in the USA. As such I can speculate that when Cartoon Network became more widely available as a 24-hour channel they removed Dragon Ball Z from A.K.A's timeslots, not wanting the block to depend on the show (although you could argue that is exactly what happened to Toonami) as Dragon Ball Z was also shown at 9pm timeslots, perhaps even thought it was a better fit for the Toonami block, which we got later that year.

Does anyone else have any lesser known details about the broadcasts they grew up with they would like to share? Would love to hear any.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Re: Little known facts about your broadcast

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed May 08, 2024 11:21 am

The scene with Goku feeling Bulma's crotch was censored when the series aired on Cartoon Network. And yet, the very same scene was played uncensored during CN's broadcast of Path to Power in Latin America.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Wed May 08, 2024 2:51 pm

The Funimation opening of makafushigi Adventure was played on Cartoon Network SNVS Block its was basically just toonami but later in the day lake at 10pm-1am I think

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 08, 2024 5:06 pm

Despite being a legal licensee, Telefuturo and La Tele used fan encodes for some episodes in Paraguay.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 08, 2024 6:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:06 pm Despite being a legal licensee, Telefuturo and La Tele used fan encodes for some episodes in Paraguay.
Now that you mention it there was one case on Cartoon Network UK when the episode Free The Future first aired that they used a really poor copy of it that was clearly just a VHS recording they got from God knows where.

As we can see here they cropped the image a lot to hide the watermarks of the channel this recording was sourced from. It may have been YTV as this episode premiered in Canada a week before the UK.

Another peculiar aspect of this broadcast is the Japanese eyecatches were used, which implies a certain level of fan tampering as I'm not aware of this appearing in any other English broadcasts.

The scrolling message on the bottom read "We apologise for the poor picture and sound quality on this programme. Please do not adjust your set."
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 08, 2024 7:35 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:41 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:06 pm Despite being a legal licensee, Telefuturo and La Tele used fan encodes for some episodes in Paraguay.
Now that you mention it there was one case on Cartoon Network UK when the episode Free The Future first aired that they used a really poor copy of it that was clearly just a VHS recording they got from God knows where.

As we can see here they cropped the image a lot to hide the watermarks of the channel this recording was sourced from. It may have been YTV as this episode premiered in Canada a week before the UK.

Another peculiar aspect of this broadcast is the Japanese eyecatches were used, which implies a certain level of fan tampering as I'm not aware of this appearing in any other English broadcasts.

The scrolling message on the bottom read "We apologise for the poor picture and sound quality on this programme. Please do not adjust your set."
Oh god, I meant more obvious sync ing to the Japanese version of the footage, it looked a bit old but not THAT BAD.

BTW that apology should be on every single shoddy Crunchyroll Home Video Release.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TechExpert2021

Post by TechExpert2021 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:41 pm

This makes no sense to me because Cartoon Network UK has been airing the Westwood dub of DBZ at the time and there is no way they would air something like this. From what I can tell, they just aired a VHS recording of the episode that aired on either the International Channel or Nippon Golden Network (the former airs the Japanese version without English subtitles) but with the edits, cropping (to hide any on-screen channel logos and graphics), and the Westwood dub audio slapped into it. I'm not sure if I'm correct on these until I see it for myself.

You may or may not remember this, but Cartoon Network UK aired this episode again as part of their "DBZ Marathon" event around late 2000. There is a VHS recording of this broadcast available. Unlike their first airing, they used the correct footage and audio of the Westwood dub of DBZ this time.

In addition, the RPN broadcasts of the Creative Products Filipino-English dub of DBZ in the Philippines are the only known English-language broadcasts to retain the eyecatchers.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed May 08, 2024 10:26 pm

I remember that when Kai was temporarily pulled from CN LatAm due to the Yamamoto scandal, they replaced it with Dragon Ball Z.

And unlike past airings of Z in the channel, they skipped the Garlic Jr. arc and went straight to the Androids arc.

It seemed like CN LatAm wanted to compensate what happened with Kai with a pseudo-Kai airing.

And when Kai was ready to return with the Kikuchi OST, this pseudo-Kai Z airing was stopped and by coincidence, at the Cell arc.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 09, 2024 4:09 am

TechExpert2021 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm This makes no sense to me because Cartoon Network UK has been airing the Westwood dub of DBZ at the time and there is no way they would air something like this. From what I can tell, they just aired a VHS recording of the episode that aired on either the International Channel or Nippon Golden Network (the former airs the Japanese version without English subtitles) but with the edits, cropping (to hide any on-screen channel logos and graphics), and the Westwood dub audio slapped into it. I'm not sure if I'm correct on these until I see it for myself.
They definitely did air it, sadly all I remember other than the quality is that it was the Westwood dub. I guess Cartoon Network could have used an International Channel or Nippon Golden Network recording and recut it to sync with the Westwood dub audio. It would probably be cheaper than importing a Japanese episode and one from Funimation. I don't remember seeing the corresponding edited Toonami US episode, but in general the problem with that approach is the Westwood dub contains additional cuts that Cartoon Network UK would also need to recreate.

It also doesn't seem likely AB Groupe would have had any Japanese video tracks on hand as myself and Tian have learned recently some evidence points to Southeast Europe and the Balkans having such masters as they were used for the Slovenian voiceover, Croatian sub and the basis for the Macedonian and Serbian dubs but none of them made it as far as Cell, even Slovenia had to switch from the Japanese version to the French dub during the Namek arc. That tells me there was difficulty acquiring Japanese episodes from Z episode 52 onwards.
TechExpert2021 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm You may or may not remember this, but Cartoon Network UK aired this episode again as part of their "DBZ Marathon" event around late 2000. There is a VHS recording of this broadcast available. Unlike their first airing, they used the correct footage and audio of the Westwood dub of DBZ this time.
Cartoon Network UK had a lot of Dragon Ball Z marathons but I don't recall there being any for Cell. There wouldn't have been any in 2000 though, as they had only aired the first 107 episodes that year. There were at least three "Saga Sunday" marathons in late 2001, namely Freeza on November 4th, Garlic Junior, Android and Trunks on November 11th and Androids on December 11th. Although I do recall at some point, maybe after a few reruns this episode was aired with the video issue sorted out.
TechExpert2021 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm In addition, the RPN broadcasts of the Creative Products Filipino-English dub of DBZ in the Philippines are the only known English-language broadcasts to retain the eyecatchers.
There is also the TV3 broadcasts of the Funimation dub in New Zealand featured the eyecatches, but with added narration by Dale Kelly.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Thu May 09, 2024 7:21 am

The Indonesian opening for OG dragon ball used the Philippines high spirited saga CD Instermental track

Instermental https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iu-n9v8jRyY

Indonesian https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oU9XqvVg3 ... bnRybyA%3D

It makes me wonder how did they even get the CD like did someone send it to them or they went to the Philippines.
It's Still An Mistry