Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu May 23, 2024 1:04 am

Asin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:53 am Is atrocity too strong a word?
I'd use "criminal act" or just plain "crime" if you think so.
Not that I don't understand, this goes beyond what words can express. An evil thing to do for sure.

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by Asin » Thu May 23, 2024 1:08 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:04 am
Asin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:53 am Is atrocity too strong a word?
I'd use "criminal act" or just plain "crime" if you think so.
Not that I don't understand, this goes beyond what words can express. An evil thing to do for sure.
That'd work. Thank you.

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 am

Majin Buu wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:50 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:00 pmThat being said, there's literally nothing more to deliberate on, so I wonder how this thread went on for 3 pages.
Based on the Vic Mignogna thread: Updates on the situation, people (like Joujou) trying to muddy the waters in support of the perpetrator, and people responding to both of those tend to lengthen threads like this.

Right now it's mostly the latter two.
ok i'm talking with a stupid retard, if you read what i've said WHERE AM I SUPPORTED HIM? cause i've said that i don't see why he should be fired? EVERYWHERE i'm saying that he need to legaly pay but i'm smart enough to know that fired him is totally useless in that case
if he want to rape again, will it stop him? absolutely not cause it's basically not related to the pb in his fucking brain
voice acting is a job, he could cook, build house that it would be exactly the same, there's allways a way to exploit a victim's weakness so stop being idiot and just think a little

if i followed your argument then georges floyd deserved to die simply because he was convicted 8 times for theft/drug trafficking (drugs kill people, that's not news) and in 2007 he pointed his gun at a pregnant woman's belly? ...Should he have no right for that? stop being hypocrite
even if furuya being is a shit (no one here are defending his act or you are definitely retard) his work as voice actors is not something that "represent" who he is, it's just a job where neither his opinion are reflected.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu May 23, 2024 3:09 am

Joujou wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 am
ok i'm talking with a stupid retard, if you read what i've said WHERE AM I SUPPORTED HIM? cause i've said that i don't see why he should be fired? EVERYWHERE i'm saying that he need to legaly pay but i'm smart enough to know that fired him is totally useless in that case
if he want to rape again, will it stop him? absolutely not cause it's basically not related to the pb in his fucking brain
voice acting is a job, he could cook, build house that it would be exactly the same, there's allways a way to exploit a victim's weakness so stop being idiot and just think a little
Putting aside the bad move you made with this post (I don't even have to mention what's going to happen), realistically it doesn't matter what anyone here says.
The most likely outcome is that he'll indeed get fired in light of all this that's coming out. And as he said, he's fine with it, so not much of a point trying to say otherwise.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:37 am

Joujou wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 am i don't see why he should be fired? EVERYWHERE i'm saying that he need to legaly pay but i'm smart enough to know that fired him is totally useless in that case
It's not like this only ended up happening because he was a famous voice actor exploiting an innocent fan or anything, right?
Have you thought that maybe, maybe, just maybe, firing him would prevent the same situation from happening again? That less people would know his voice and become his fans since you know, he's out of work? And that's not even mentioning how this would prevent triggering people who know about the situation and would allow them to enjoy the show better.

There are several good reasons for why firing him would only bring more good things to this world, but you seem to only be bothered by the prospect that a cartoon character will sound different. For someone who tells others to act rationally and not emotionally, the only reason you have given thus far as for why he shouldn't be fired is... "But Yamcha will lose his old voice and that would bother me!" As if the fact that real people are suffering from the real ramifications of his actions didn't mean anything to you.
Joujou wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 am if he want to rape again, will it stop him? absolutely not
No, but putting him behind bars sure will.
And firing him would at least prevent more fans from being his victims.

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Thu May 23, 2024 4:32 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:09 am
Putting aside the bad move you made with this post (I don't even have to mention what's going to happen), realistically it doesn't matter what anyone here says.
The most likely outcome is that he'll indeed get fired in light of all this that's coming out. And as he said, he's fine with it, so not much of a point trying to say otherwise.
Absolutely Right ! what we say have no power at all and basicaly we aren't judge
He's fine with it so he admiy being guilty and he'll have what he have to be as punishment but i stay in my position that it has nothing to do as his job itself as it will absolutely not prevent him doing that again
The Judgement should prevent it by measure preventing him being in contact again, but i don't see anything bad as he dubbed again
as i said, it's everything outside of the job , he didn't raped someone in his job (at least it's not something that have been communicated) and even if you agree or not, his job was well done.
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:37 am
Joujou wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 am i don't see why he should be fired? EVERYWHERE i'm saying that he need to legaly pay but i'm smart enough to know that fired him is totally useless in that case
It's not like this only ended up happening because he was a famous voice actor exploiting an innocent fan or anything, right?
Have you thought that maybe, maybe, just maybe, firing him would prevent the same situation from happening again? That less people would know his voice and become his fans since you know, he's out of work? And that's not even mentioning how this would prevent triggering people who know about the situation and would allow them to enjoy the show better.

There are several good reasons for why firing him would only bring more good things to this world, but you seem to only be bothered by the prospect that a cartoon character will sound different. For someone who tells others to act rationally and not emotionally, the only reason you have given thus far as for why he shouldn't be fired is... "But Yamcha will lose his old voice and that would bother me!" As if the fact that real people are suffering from the real ramifications of his actions didn't mean anything to you.
Joujou wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 am if he want to rape again, will it stop him? absolutely not
No, but putting him behind bars sure will.
And firing him would at least prevent more fans from being his victims.
And? do you think that people won't know what he did? companies / police can make public things like it is going now , if you think that fans can fall again in his trap knowing what he did, only show how much they can be abused by anyone and not only from a voice actor, anyone can abuse someone so weak and you can't protect someone this weak only by this way

There is several sanctions, measures that can be taken against him to prevent him doing it again , as long as you don't kill him, he'll have right to work, in any work he can do exactly the same things as he did , he use the fact he is famous to abuse a woman, do you think that there is no other way to abuse someone's weakness? There is plenty, if it's not a fan, it can be a custumer, his neighboor, anyone that have a weakness he can abuse. You have everyday countless example of perfect unknown guy that abused woman using everything they have

Only psy can know what will really be effective against this kind of guy, if he can be in contact with other woman etc we aren't psy so we can't say that keep dubbing is more risky than any other work.

Is he the first actor to abuse woman? NO, did fired an actor change prevent actors abusing woman ? NO

as an argument i could perfectly say that as long as he will keep the work, people will know him/ what he did / keep an eye on him etc, do you think that if a young famous actor did something like that today and be fired right after that in some years people would remember what he did so being aware about what he can do? No

Destroy his reputation? of course, preventing dubbing? it's not related at all

it's not because he give his voice that you should now invite him in fans conventions, give him a price etc, but nothing prevent him doing voice acting the same way he could do any other job. dubbing will probably even less than any other work, give him ability to see woman outside, he have to pay yes, but it have to be in a way he can't do this to anyone, not only "fans"

I constantly say that people are just acting with emotions but this kind of disgusting act need appropriate sanctions related to the crime itself not against his work

it's not because he keep dubbing once out of jail that it will prevent him being punished, he should be punished for what he did
But thinking that fired him is a solution is just a stupid argument.

Punish the man, prevent him by legal way to be in contact with woman if he can't retain himself but i don't see him dubbing again as an issue cause he is only giving a voice to a fictionnal character , nothing he did or say as this characters reflect who he is so it doesnt' matter if he dub again or not
Last edited by Joujou on Thu May 23, 2024 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 23, 2024 5:19 am

Majin Buu wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:50 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:00 pmThat being said, there's literally nothing more to deliberate on, so I wonder how this thread went on for 3 pages.
Based on the Vic Mignogna thread: Updates on the situation, people (like Joujou) trying to muddy the waters in support of the perpetrator, and people responding to both of those tend to lengthen threads like this.

Right now it's mostly the latter two.

if i followed your argument then georges floyd deserved to die simply because he was convicted 8 times for theft/drug trafficking (drugs kill people, that's not news) and in 2007 he pointed his gun at a pregnant woman's belly? ...Should he have no right for that? stop being hypocrite
even if furuya being is a shit (no one here are defending his act or you are definitely retard) his work as voice actors is not something that "represent" who he is, it's just a job where neither his opinion are reflected.
The irony of you insulting other people's intelligence while making smooth brain false equivalences and what aboutism left and right.

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Thu May 23, 2024 6:18 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:19 am
The irony of you insulting other people's intelligence while making smooth brain false equivalences and what aboutism left and right.
that's your opinion, but if you don't understand why all of you are speaking nonsence then it's useless to keep talking
basicaly this topic is made to discuss about the thing but the main point here is

Furuya is a jerk so he should be punished and fired, we should recast him / redub / boycott and everyone should agree with that
so....it's not a discussion topic but a copy/paste one

irony is that idiots will never know how much they are.
poor world
i'm not surprised why this world turn the way it does

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu May 23, 2024 9:56 am

Joujou wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 am ok i'm talking with a stupid retard
Like Masenko said, you calling other people dumb is ironic. It feels like projection on your part.
if you read what i've said WHERE AM I SUPPORTED HIM? cause i've said that i don't see why he should be fired?
Repeat after me: Arguing that he should be allowed to continue working in spite of his crimes is supporting him. It doesn't matter that you're not literally saying "I support him"- You're supporting him with arguments like this.
Yeah, I'm convinced you're the dumb one here considering this massive false equivalency (Do you even know what a false equivalency is?).

Someone losing their career and public standing for heinous behavior is not the same thing as someone being killed for nothing in an act of police brutality. Also, Furuya was the one with the power in this situation while George Floyd was not the one with the power in the situation that killed him.

Also, good job bringing up Floyd's past to use against him like so many on the right tried to do after he was killed. I get that you were trying (emphasis on trying) to make a point, but it's a dick move considering the person you're making this argument in defense of.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu May 23, 2024 10:23 am

Re: Furuya's private life should not impact his professional relationships.

This is a huge misconception. Certain actions, especially those involving abuse and coercion, transcend the private sphere and directly affect public and professional life.

When a public figure, like a voice actor, admits to have committed morally and legally questionable acts, it erodes the trust and respect of the public and colleagues. Trust is a crucial pillar in many professions, and breaking it can justify measures like termination or boycott, not as moral punishment, but as a necessity to maintain integrity and trust in the industry.

Moreover, the entertainment industry is highly influenced by public opinion. If a professional is seen as a risk or a controversial figure, continuing their work can negatively impact the projects they are involved in and, consequently, their colleagues and the industry itself. This is pretty much part of every compliance program that companies adopt globally.

Therefore, the ethical and practical implications of Furuya's actions both in his private and professional life, and how it affects not only him but everyone around him, specially amongst Dragon Ball community, is a totally valid topic to bring it up here.

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Thu May 23, 2024 11:26 am

Majin Buu wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:56 am
Repeat after me: Arguing that he should be allowed to continue working in spite of his crimes is supporting him. It doesn't matter that you're not literally saying "I support him"- You're supporting him with arguments like this.
Absolutely not
i think in a more "larger" way than you, YOU guys think that ending his career will prevent him doing it again ,that's absolutely a stupid argument, he'll keep being alive so he can perfectly do it again anywhere, anytime for whatever reason so yes i'm right
if you don't kill him, he'll keep working to live SO will it stopped him if he will really wanted to do it again? NO as long as he'll have to work, he'll be able to do exactly the same thing not matter what the job will be so yes , his job doesn't matter, his popularity can be destroyed even if he keep doing dubs i don't see what is the problem cause only with bad reputation, he shouldn't be have fans anymore.
Yeah, I'm convinced you're the dumb one here considering this massive false equivalency (Do you even know what a false equivalency is?).

Someone losing their career and public standing for heinous behavior is not the same thing as someone being killed for nothing in an act of police brutality. Also, Furuya was the one with the power in this situation while George Floyd was not the one with the power in the situation that killed him.

Also, good job bringing up Floyd's past to use against him like so many on the right tried to do after he was killed. I get that you were trying (emphasis on trying) to make a point, but it's a dick move considering the person you're making this argument in defense of.
i perfectly understand what is false equivalency , it's you that is too dumb to see what i'm linking in the story

Floyd was a shitty delinquant selling drugs, (that can kill people and who know if drugs that he sell didn't killed someone ) doing robbery, being caught 8 times and doing it again and again even pointing a gun on a pregnant woman show how bad human was, why his past shouldn't be used taken into consideration? everythings bad act he did, he choose to do it (cause you allways have the choice to do or not doing something) does this mean that he should have died like he did? Absolutely not but people talked about him like if he was an angel only cause he was killed by a bad cops what is pure shit

If loosing his job would have really prevent him doing sexual abuse , i'll have agree but you are totally wrong, he can do it in any job, ending his career will not prevent him to do anything

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Thu May 23, 2024 11:31 am

The man obviously can't keep his job if he used it to get his victim in the first place, my dude.

I also believe that terminating any chance of someone being employed in any area is going too far, but in this case, Furuya being a public figure has a direct connection to what took place. If he is to be employed, he'd best do so elsewhere with no connection at all to the public, though I'm still hopeful he'll spend some time behind bars for this.

Also, don't insult people.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:11 pm

Joujou wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:26 am Absolutely not
i think in a more "larger" way than you, YOU guys think that ending his career will prevent him doing it again ,that's absolutely a stupid argument,
Firing him:
- Would deprive him of potential extended status
- Save potential new people from knowing his work and falling victim to him
- Drop a huge source of income for him, making him think twice before doing it again
- Set a precedent for the companies involved that their fans are safe with them and that they won't support a rapist
- Set a precedent for other professionals in the industry to not do the same thing lest they also suffer the same consequences
- Avoid triggering survivors who are still watching these shows, making the watching experience better

But we can't do that, according to you, because:
- A cartoon character's voice would be different and that would bother you personally.
- That would be useless and wouldn't solve anything (massive whataboutism), so let's do nothing!

Your reasons for supporting him are ridiculous, and given you tried to shoehorn politics into this discussion numerous times, I'm pretty damn sure you're just doing it out of a personal agenda rather than anything else, really.

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Thu May 23, 2024 12:41 pm

The guy's pretty much a date rapist, physical abuser, adulterer and abused his power dynamic over the woman (who shouldn't have been involved in an extramarital affair but still) to force her to abort their baby. I don't see how there is any defense. People have been fired/terminated over less.

If anything he should be behind bars for the sexual assault. Pretty sure forcing someone to abort their baby is some form of criminal offense as well. I will never get how the "pain" of having his characters (beloved as ones like the Conan and Gundam ones may be) have new voices takes precedence over holding a criminal dirtbag accountable for his crimes. Come on man.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu May 23, 2024 1:30 pm

FireFly wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:41 pm People have been fired/terminated over less.
That's true. Let's remember Yamamoto.

While what he did wasn't as bad as all the horrible shit Furuya did, it was still bad enough for Toei Animation and Bandai to sever ties with him and remove and replace all his work from Kai, Raging Blast 2 and the remastered Budokai collection.

If Toei Animation and Bandai already fired a plagiarist like Yamamoto, then why they shouldn't fire a scoundrel like Furuya as well?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 23, 2024 1:40 pm

In the case of Yamamoto, Toei fired him so they wouldn’t have to deal with any potential lawsuits. It should go without saying that what Furuya did is infinitely worse, but I don’t know if it’s enough to get him blacklisted in the industry. There have been mangaka who were arrested for sex crimes involving minors, yet they were allowed to continue drawing manga like nothing happened.

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Thu May 23, 2024 2:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:40 pm In the case of Yamamoto, Toei fired him so they wouldn’t have to deal with any potential lawsuits. It should go without saying that what Furuya did is infinitely worse, but I don’t know if it’s enough to get him blacklisted in the industry. There have been mangaka who were arrested for sex crimes involving minors, yet they were allowed to continue drawing manga like nothing happened.
Japan treats crimes worse when you're involved in the television industry. Look at Yusuke Iseya (actor of Shinomori Aoshi from Kenshin) serving time behind bars for marijuana use and being removed from posters in Kenshin's Jinchu arc theatrical release while Watsuki paid a mere sub-2000 USD fine and returned to work a few months later. There are even mangaka that take donations from Yakuza and get involved with them and continue to draw Yakuza-related manga still.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu May 23, 2024 2:17 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:40 pm In the case of Yamamoto, Toei fired him so they wouldn’t have to deal with any potential lawsuits. It should go without saying that what Furuya did is infinitely worse, but I don’t know if it’s enough to get him blacklisted in the industry.
But still, they don't even mention his name anymore since he caused a huge scandal for them. This will likely be the same, it also happened to one Takahiro Sakurai (no mention of his name directly in a related announcement and no work since).
We'll have to wait and see if Furuya himself follows through with his words, as his fate is in the hands of the companies he worked under.

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Thu May 23, 2024 2:42 pm

I don't think Furuya meant what he said. Seems like an alligator tears apology he wrote up so he could get the minimum punishment. Guy probably wrote it up in the hopes of saving his career and/or getting off with the smallest legal reprisal should his case go to trial. If he had remorse he wouldn't lie about being infertile to force himself on the woman.

The guy even punched her so hard she got a nosebleed and when she called an ambulance, he tried to break into her room and fled when cops came. He doesn't mean a word he said and is just hoping to save his own ass.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 23, 2024 2:53 pm

FireFly wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:42 pm

The guy even punched her so hard she got a nosebleed and when she called an ambulance, he tried to break into her room and fled when cops came. He doesn't mean a word he said and is just hoping to save his own ass.
Jesus. I didn't even read that part. This whole thing really does get worse and worse.

Fuck Furuya