"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by BlueChi » Sat May 25, 2024 6:55 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:57 am Why?
Each transformation counts as a different slot, so it'll be very easy to fill a lot of these slots with transformations of one single character. And unfortunately, it's not only Goku that has a whole swath of different forms.

Then again, FighterZ has half its roster comprised of Goku and people shrug it off, so I expect it'll be the same here.

Michael_Takagawa

Post by Michael_Takagawa » Sat May 25, 2024 7:36 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:57 am
Kaboom wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:14 pm
Xeogran wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:23 pmUltra Instinct Goku confirmed to be in the base game, based on it's Steam Icon:
Ew, gross.

Things still aren't looking good for the game's roster overall.
Why?
Personal bias involving DBS on Kaboom's part. He always complains about Super whenever it's included in any shape and form. Normally, I'd be surprised that a Dragon Ball fan like him did not expect some form of Super to be included in recent Dragon Ball media, considering its popularity among audiences, but why would I be surprised of someone whose personal bias is blatant and indiscriminate?

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat May 25, 2024 11:00 am

BlueChi wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:55 am
Nickolaidas wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:57 am Why?
Each transformation counts as a different slot, so it'll be very easy to fill a lot of these slots with transformations of one single character. And unfortunately, it's not only Goku that has a whole swath of different forms.

Then again, FighterZ has half its roster comprised of Goku and people shrug it off, so I expect it'll be the same here.
Transformations generally aren't different slots in Sparking, it's based on different eras and versions of the same character and whether or not they can access certain forms at the point of the story they're based on. Ultra Instinct Goku may very well be his own slot because it isn't something Goku could do at will in the anime (which these games sadly tend to stick to), but it's not like Super Saiyan God Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Goku will be two individual slots on the character select screen, if that's what you're thinking.
Xeogran wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:23 pmUltra Instinct Goku confirmed to be in the base game, based on it's Steam Icon:
Ew, gross.

How so? As excited as I am for Super characters, I do agree with your previous sentiment of wanting to see characters outside it and Z, but... at the same time, we've seen those in Sparking before, whereas with Super we're getting brand new characters that didn't even exist when Meteor came out, and I think that's exciting!

And I have hopes that the inclusion of more obscure Super characters like Kakunsa opens the door for similar GT-based DLC, at the very least. I don't feel like the game would be "incomplete" at all without the likes of, say, Rilld, but I'd buy that DLC in a heartbeat, haha
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sat May 25, 2024 11:11 am

Ew, gross.

I mean there's still 90 characters to be revealed lol

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 25, 2024 11:37 am

The inclusion of the most popular Dragon Ball Super characters are to be expected.

The icing on the cake are characters that, to this day, continue to make sparse appearances. Yes, King Vegeta was in the previous game, but his appearance here would still be a big deal. Tarble, Abo, Cado and Chilled should also appear. Since we got Arale before, Neko Majin and Kuriza, perhaps even Onion could debut here. In a game series that prides itself (or fans like to praise it for that) for having "large roster", these are the types of characters to look forward to, you know. "End of Z" and GT variations are most welcome as well.

It's time for the "characters outside the box", the ones you wouldn't normally expect to make their appearance. And marketing would do well to reveal some of them... For yesterday.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Michael_Takagawa

Post by Michael_Takagawa » Sat May 25, 2024 3:32 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:57 am FighterZ has half its roster comprised of Goku and people shrug it off, so I expect it'll be the same here.
Five Gokus, you mean. Fusions like Gogeta and Vegito are completely different entities, and Goku Black is Zamasu in Goku's body.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:35 pm

My ideal roster would be one that satisfyingly represents the entire original manga, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for pre-Z characters like Murasaki, kid Kuririn, Giran, Sergeant Metallic, assistant Black in his mech suit, the bear with sword, the pirate robot. Extremely unlikely, sadly, but in my opinion those characters are just as deserving of a spot as anyone else.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been blatantly inspired by Akira Toriyama's manga.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat May 25, 2024 5:43 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:23 pm Ultra Instinct Goku confirmed to be in the base game, based on it's Steam Icon:
Also the fact that it's YET ANOTHER game where UI Goku gets leaked early is hilarious :lol:
They have since replaced that icon with the Bu kanji from the Tenkaichi Budokai.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sat May 25, 2024 7:11 pm

omegalucas wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:43 pm
Xeogran wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:23 pm Ultra Instinct Goku confirmed to be in the base game, based on it's Steam Icon:
Also the fact that it's YET ANOTHER game where UI Goku gets leaked early is hilarious :lol:
They have since replaced that icon with the Bu kanji from the Tenkaichi Budokai.
I think they jumped the gun on it, the boxart will probably be revealed at SGF.

I think we'll still get a trailer this month at next week's rumored State of Play, just what we saw in the scan.

Now for a Release Date trailer, what would get people hyped up the most? A Story mode trailer or a Tournament of Power trailer?

I think a Tournament of Power trailer would be cool, showing every single Tournament of Power character that will be playable. Trailer ending with Omen Goku doing a kamehameha which transitions to the leaked Icon pose and then we see the boxart + physical collector's edition.

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Sun May 26, 2024 10:36 am

Anyone else hoping they will have a pre-order and pre-order bonuses??
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun May 26, 2024 4:13 pm

BrolyLSSJ wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:36 am Anyone else hoping they will have a pre-order and pre-order bonuses??
I hope not. Incentives to 'force' you to shell out 100-130 bucks suck.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 26, 2024 7:58 pm

I said in my previous post about the advantage of this game not coming to the West as "Tenkaichi 4," but even if we consider its original name, can we really consider it a sequel to "Sparking! METEOR"? Look at this:

- Every sequel to a "Sparking!" game contains the same characters as its predecessors and the inclusion of new ones.

- "Sparking! METEOR" had 162 characters, do we have confirmation that "Sparking! ZERO" will have more characters than that?

- It would be very unlikely the return of some characters such as Eighter, Arale, Babidi, Akkuman, Dr. Wheelo, Seripa, General Blue, Kid Chi-Chi, King Cold, King Vegeta, Nam, Nuova Shenron, Spopovich, and Tambourine.

- "Sparking!" games usually have characters from the franchise that have never been introduced before in any game, can you think of which characters these could be?

It's clear to me that "Sparking! ZERO" is a reboot of the game series for the next-gen rather than a true sequel to the 2007 game.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 pm

Noah wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:58 pm I said in my previous post about the advantage of this game not coming to the West as "Tenkaichi 4," but even if we consider its original name, can we really consider it a sequel to "Sparking! METEOR"? Look at this:

- Every sequel to a "Sparking!" game contains the same characters as its predecessors and the inclusion of new ones.

- "Sparking! METEOR" had 162 characters, do we have confirmation that "Sparking! ZERO" will have more characters than that?

- It would be very unlikely the return of some characters such as Eighter, Arale, Babidi, Akkuman, Dr. Wheelo, Seripa, General Blue, Kid Chi-Chi, King Cold, King Vegeta, Nam, Nuova Shenron, Spopovich, and Tambourine.

- "Sparking!" games usually have characters from the franchise that have never been introduced before in any game, can you think of which characters these could be?

It's clear to me that "Sparking! ZERO" is a reboot of the game series for the next-gen rather than a true sequel to the 2007 game.
There'll definitely be cuts from Meteor into Zero, but the game will TECHNICALLY have a larger roster. If the mockup roster at the end of each Sparking Zero trailer is any indications, it's going to have 164 characters in the base roster, compared to Sparking Meteor's 161. By the way, where'd you get 162 from?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun May 26, 2024 11:36 pm

Yeah, the roster will miss Appule or King Vegeta but is going to have UI, Ego, and all the SJ transformation - which sucks.

Because I would prefer to play a DB game with 20 characters, 1 of which is Goku, rather than a DB game with 30 characters, 20 of which are Goku versions. While technically, the latter game has a bigger roster, even if all Gokus play differently, the game has less character diversity. And I hate it when character slots are the same character in terms of the character himself.

For me, in fighting games, character identity and representation matters. Whenever I see one more Goku, I can't help but think that Chiaotzu, or Dodoria, or Zarbon, or Doctor Gero or or or lost their chances at a spot because apparently three Gokus weren't enough - we apparently needed ten. It's so unfair to those characters and the people who want to play as them. It's like there are ten kids wanting to play with action figures, each one of them liking a different character, and Bandai gives ten Goku action figures to one kid, and the other nine kids get zip.

And yeah, I know that Sparking! rosters have become so massive that we get both the Goku need and the obscure character need, but that doesn't change the fact you could get half of the ToP's roster if you got one Goku and Vegeta. You can make them transform to your heart's delight, you just don't need to change their combo patterns and special moves, and just keep the transformation as a gimmick.

I mean, honest question: would you guys prefer one Goku who can transform to hell and back and have the exact same moveset and SP moves and get 30 more unique characters added to the already large pile? Or would you prefer what Bandai is doing now, with 20 different Gokus and movesets but less unique characters in the roster because the Gokus take their spots?

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Mon May 27, 2024 3:37 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:13 pm
BrolyLSSJ wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:36 am Anyone else hoping they will have a pre-order and pre-order bonuses??
I hope not. Incentives to 'force' you to shell out 100-130 bucks suck.
That's light weight payments for me...
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

Michael_Takagawa

Post by Michael_Takagawa » Mon May 27, 2024 11:17 am

Ew, gross.

Regardless of how you feel about Dragon Ball Super, Kaboom, you shouldn't let the inclusion of these characters exclusive to the series affect your personal enjoyment, especially since it's the first BT/Sparking game to include DBS. And besides, who would disagree in playing Hit, Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo, Goku Black, Zamasu, Broly and Kefla again?

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon May 27, 2024 11:54 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:36 pm Yeah, the roster will miss Appule or King Vegeta but is going to have UI, Ego, and all the SJ transformation - which sucks.

Because I would prefer to play a DB game with 20 characters, 1 of which is Goku, rather than a DB game with 30 characters, 20 of which are Goku versions. While technically, the latter game has a bigger roster, even if all Gokus play differently, the game has less character diversity. And I hate it when character slots are the same character in terms of the character himself.

For me, in fighting games, character identity and representation matters. Whenever I see one more Goku, I can't help but think that Chiaotzu, or Dodoria, or Zarbon, or Doctor Gero or or or lost their chances at a spot because apparently three Gokus weren't enough - we apparently needed ten. It's so unfair to those characters and the people who want to play as them. It's like there are ten kids wanting to play with action figures, each one of them liking a different character, and Bandai gives ten Goku action figures to one kid, and the other nine kids get zip.

And yeah, I know that Sparking! rosters have become so massive that we get both the Goku need and the obscure character need, but that doesn't change the fact you could get half of the ToP's roster if you got one Goku and Vegeta. You can make them transform to your heart's delight, you just don't need to change their combo patterns and special moves, and just keep the transformation as a gimmick.

I mean, honest question: would you guys prefer one Goku who can transform to hell and back and have the exact same moveset and SP moves and get 30 more unique characters added to the already large pile? Or would you prefer what Bandai is doing now, with 20 different Gokus and movesets but less unique characters in the roster because the Gokus take their spots?
It seems that they can't put Manga content into any Dragon Ball game so minus Ego

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon May 27, 2024 1:05 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:36 pm I mean, honest question: would you guys prefer one Goku who can transform to hell and back and have the exact same moveset and SP moves and get 30 more unique characters added to the already large pile? Or would you prefer what Bandai is doing now, with 20 different Gokus and movesets but less unique characters in the roster because the Gokus take their spots?
The second option. I would want the story mode going through all arcs to be accurately represented, so I certainly don't want Goku to have the same moveset and specials all along when it actually doesn't fit the story arc faithfully.

Representing Goku's (and other major character's) evolution with his animation, special moves and various appearances is a priority over minor characters that don't serve purpose in more than one arc. Same for all characters that last long in the story.

Every stage of the story must be represented and everytime a character was not the same as he was and had new technics and new sets of transformations, that specific version must be available even if it takes one slot.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon May 27, 2024 1:24 pm

HD Screenshots

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 27, 2024 3:39 pm

KALE AND FEFLA AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She/Her
The coolest girl you know