Does Crunchyroll provide sub par output... on purpose?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Does Crunchyroll provide sub par output... on purpose?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 26, 2024 7:09 pm

At first this was just going to be about the Crunchyroll server and how it goes down each time a hype episode airs. It was going to be half joking half serious that they have a server deliverately set to do that... Then I wondered what may be the REAL reason for the subpar server... and then how awful the Home Video releases are... I think Crunchyroll puts out sub par output be it streaming or home releases and then trickle down "Improvements" for YEARS but never getting an actually acceptable release.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does Crunchyroll provide sub par output... on purpose?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 26, 2024 11:32 pm

Between trying to sell the goddamn Orange Bricks on their online store for $35 USD, their how-do-you-even fuck-that-up? handling of Kai for Hulu, and all the stuff you mentioned I would probably just write them off as incompetent .

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 27, 2024 12:14 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:32 pm Between trying to sell the goddamn Orange Bricks on their online store for $35 USD, their how-do-you-even fuck-that-up? handling of Kai for Hulu, and all the stuff you mentioned I would probably just write them off as incompetent .
I am a world half full kinda guy and it does sound more reasonable to think this is just them being incompetent... but so much of this has been a consistent thing, so many awful decisions one after the other, it really makes me think... Oh well. Home Video Releases arent a thing where I live, I watch DBZ on TV and isnt really much I should be worried about.

I hope you guys have fun discussing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 27, 2024 2:06 am

Probably the same reason the London office (which used to be Manga UK) is no longer as communicative with fans via social media or releases much interesting content on home video. Crunchyroll have so much money now they don't even try. Ironically they were probably better off when they were a piracy site.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 27, 2024 11:50 am

Is it the same team that worked at Funimation? Total incompetence. There really is no real reason to proselytizing sabotage anything on their end.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 27, 2024 11:57 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:50 am Is it the same team that worked at Funimation? Total incompetence. There really is no real reason to proselytizing sabotage anything on their end.
With the merger I'd imagine jobs were lost on both ends "to reduce department redundancies" as it what happens with those things. Probably some people from Funimation's team and some people from Crunchyroll.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 27, 2024 12:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:57 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:50 am Is it the same team that worked at Funimation? Total incompetence. There really is no real reason to proselytizing sabotage anything on their end.
With the merger I'd imagine jobs were lost on both ends "to reduce department redundancies" as it what happens with those things. Probably some people from Funimation's team and some people from Crunchyroll.
Not sure about Funimation in the US but on the UK side we know this did in fact happen, although for anyone that followed Manga UK's social media this was plain as day as they had been so active on a constant basis until the mergers. Their releases also consistently slowed down and kept getting pushed back to the point that today a lot of people don't even know a Crunchyroll UK release is out until they walk into a HMV and see it in store.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:11 pm

I refuse to subscribe to Crunchyroll because the streaming on their big budget theatrical releases are awful. I'm expecting at least Dolby 5.1 and they couldn't even provide that. My rear speakers are always not working when I try to play something like Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero.

Sometimes, I'd rather watch my weekly anime thru Netflix with VPN than to stream on Crunchyroll.
The world is your's.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:25 pm

It's Sony. They know they don't have to provide quality their army of fanboi consoomers will eat anything they shit out.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:11 am

dragonmagico wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:25 pm It's Sony. They know they don't have to provide quality their army of fanboi consoomers will eat anything they shit out.
As a physical media loyalist I would rather see all Blu-Ray releases from any of Sony's subsidiaries just carry their own label, like the recent Paprika 4K rather than Crunchyroll. Sony created Blu-Rays so would naturally be biased towards continuing to produce discs and players (Samsung pulled out of making players years ago but Sony have kept going and are the industry leader).

Crunchyroll are still making Blu-Rays but likely because the dedicated customers and US population still makes it worthwhile, but as a streaming-focused company they would love it to die out so they can have control over all the content we watch.

Aside from Super Hero the vast majority of UK anime releases I've bought have been from Anime Limited as I like to support the disc market but I'm apprehensive about lining Crunchyroll's pockets as their growing monopoly is a threat to both small businesses and anime history (they've not only rebranded companies like Funimation but old blogs and such have been purged, which yes that happens with a lot of companies websites but I think we ain't seen nothing yet).