Japanese Man Arrested for Pirating Dragonbox The Movies/GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Japanese Man Arrested for Pirating Dragonbox The Movies/GT

Post by Raki » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:50 pm

http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... d-auctions
Japan's Association of Copyright for Computer Software (ACCS) announced that a 37-year-old male company employee from Kakogawa City in central Japan was arrested on Thursday for selling unauthorized DVD copies of 10 anime works, television programs, and other titles. The man allegedly sold DVD-R copies of the 50,000-yen (about US$470) Dragon Ball's Dragon Box the Movies DVD set for 4,000 yen (US$37), the 50,000-yen (US$470) Dragon Ball GT series set for 5,500 yen (US$51), and the 72,000-yen (US$675) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ box set for 4,000 yen (US$37). Police from the northern Japanese prefecture of Hokkaido and Sapporo City's northern police office arrested the man on charges of copyright infringement and sent him to the prosecutors in Sapporo City.

The authorities say that the man sold about 1 million yen (US$9,000) in DVD copies on the Wanted Auction website in the 20 months between August of 2006 and April of 2008. Each of the auction listings went from 3,000 to 15,000 yen (US$28-140). In April, Hokkaido police investigators found out about the suspect's auctions and contacted the copyright holders — Sunrise, Toei, and Toei Animation — via ACCS. The police confiscated one personal computer, DVD-Rs, envelopes, and shipping supplies from the suspect's home on the day of the arrest.

The suspect reportedly said that he offered pirated items on the Yahoo! Auction and Rakuten websites in the past, but his listings were cancelled and his IDs were deleted on those sites. Since he tried to re-register but was unable to do so on those sites, he went to the Wanted Auction site where even pirated items were often not removed. As of the end of July, 231,411 members had posted 259,886 items on the Wanted Auction site.
I can't believe the guy tried to set bootlegs and didn't even make money. What a moron.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 pm

It says he made about $9,000, and the original boxes only set him back about $1,600, so he made money.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:24 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:It says he made about $9,000, and the original boxes only set him back about $1,600, so he made money.
Too bad all the cash{if he didn't spend it all} will be seized by the authorities.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:10 am

Damn the Triad and their piracy!

Wait... what?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:13 am

I used to remember seeing these on Yahoo Auctions.

"All of R2 DB-Z-GT for 500 bucks?!"

Felliko

Post by Felliko » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:51 am

Do those even sell in Japan, i know Japan has the craziest internet speed so people should get complete movies on their computers in seconds over there.

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:10 am

Who would even buy those, especially since the singles are out for GT and the movies are just coming out on singles. Plus, they're already uncut on FUNi DVDs and such.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:03 pm

kusakun004 wrote:Who would even buy those, especially since the singles are out for GT and the movies are just coming out on singles. Plus, they're already uncut on FUNi DVDs and such.
The Movies and GT at least.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Felliko wrote:Do those even sell in Japan, i know Japan has the craziest internet speed so people should get complete movies on their computers in seconds over there.
These weren't downloads (and even if they were, Japan has the same Internet options as we do; as far as connection speed goes), they were hard copies, so they would have been shipped to the buyers in DVD format, not downloaded.

I've always wondered, does Japan have a bigger piracy problem than we do? I'm sure they are at least close, since they have the Triad and the Yakuza around there.

Also, was he selling the DVD's in boxes similar to the Dragonbox boxes, or was he not even trying to hide the fact that they were bootlegged and shipping them in brown boxes?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:50 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Felliko wrote:Do those even sell in Japan, i know Japan has the craziest internet speed so people should get complete movies on their computers in seconds over there.
These weren't downloads (and even if they were, Japan has the same Internet options as we do; as far as connection speed goes), they were hard copies, so they would have been shipped to the buyers in DVD format, not downloaded.

I've always wondered, does Japan have a bigger piracy problem than we do? I'm sure they are at least close, since they have the Triad and the Yakuza around there.

Also, was he selling the DVD's in boxes similar to the Dragonbox boxes, or was he not even trying to hide the fact that they were bootlegged and shipping them in brown boxes?
Due to Japan and South Korea have better networking infastructure, the internet is much faster over there. Their networks are all digital, while we still mostly operate on a most analog infastructure with a little digital here and there.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Re: Japanese Man Arrested for Pirating Dragonbox The Movies/

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:07 pm

lol, he got what he deserved :lol:
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Well, that's a surprise, you usually don't here something like this out of Japan. I would've expected it to be some guy in the US getting arrested.

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Well, that's a surprise, you usually don't here something like this out of Japan. I would've expected it to be some guy in the US getting arrested.
Heh, nobody gets arrested in the US for selling pirated DVDs, they just get fined a lot of money.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:40 pm

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Well, that's a surprise, you usually don't here something like this out of Japan. I would've expected it to be some guy in the US getting arrested.
Heh, nobody gets arrested in the US for selling pirated DVDs, they just get fined a lot of money.
Pretty much :roll:
Such is life...
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:48 pm

Chinatown in NYC is full of them. My trips to NYC feel incomplete unless I've gone there and seen the unholy sea of bootlegs.

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:39 am

Raki wrote:
Chinatown in NYC is full of them. My trips to NYC feel incomplete unless I've gone there and seen the unholy sea of bootlegs.
I know what you mean. Whenever I go there and walk down the street, there's at least one person advertising their "Deh-Veh-Deh"s.

That said I could never pay for a bootleg, minus one random fansub I got a long time ago.
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.