What (if anything) is wrong with this picture?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

What (if anything) is wrong with this picture?

Post by Detective X » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:14 pm

Why is Vegeta calling Goku "Goku" here (Page 286, Shonen Jump Volume 2, Issue 7, July 2004)?

Is this:
1.)Viz messed up?
2.)Toriyama messed up?
3.)Toriyama meant for Vegeta to call Goku by his earth name?
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:41 pm

Mmmm....well, when I read that, I too thought Viz screwed up. Then I checked my tankoubon and boom...I saw Vegeta refer to him as Goku there too. So its not really Viz's fault, they're just translating what Toriyama originally put there. It's probably because the people around him were saying stuff like "We need Goku," so Vegeta said "We don't need Goku."

What's really wrong, or strange, about the picture, is there's toner in the background. Toriyama practically never uses toner in Dragon Ball as far as I know (or payed attention to).
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:05 pm

*checks danish manga*

Vejita: Calm down now, sonny! If anyone's going up there to train, it will of course have to be me! Celle is going to regret that he has given us this chanse!

Hm, I guess they didn't translate it too well this time...But I DO remember Vegeta using the name Goku a few times. I'm just not gonna go through all 24 volumes (or something) to check.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:39 pm

Dragon Ball tankoubon Volume 33, page 48...

Vegeta: ki sa ma mo Go kuu blah blah blah...

So he did indeed refer to him as Goku.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:18 am

Yeah, I'd always wondered about that line when I read it in Japanese. I mean, Vegeta talking as himself never ever uses Gokuu, only when saying stuff like "Kakarrot, or the one you call Gokuu...." So I think this was probably like what Pinhead said, that Vegeta was just using it perhaps in a mocking way since everyone else around him was bitching about needing Gokuu to fight (though usually, even if everyone's using different forms of Gokuu's name all around him, he'll still use Kakarrot, so I don't know what made this time so different from all the other times). Either that, or Toriyama-sensei forgot who was saying the line :P

Out of curiosity, is the line the same in the anime as in the manga? I know sometimes the anime changes things from the manga, so maybe in the anime they changed it to Kakarrot because they thought the original was a mistake? My aural memory is failing me at this point, and I can't remember whether I've heard the line spoken as either Gokuu or Kakarrot....
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:26 am

Also, it could've been changed in the Kanzenban edition. That's been known to alter things too, mostly that which were faults. It's not unlikely they've changed this. If they haven't, I guess it's simply not considered a mistake.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.