Why were there no more movies produced after the show's end?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:00 am

That's not because the US is better at making big-budget live action films though. Well, it is, but not because there's something in the American psyche that makes those people intrinsically better. It's just that, well, Hollywood is in the US. Hollywood makes big budget action films. Hence, big budget action films are largely American.

Saying that US films beat all other ones is like saying that Chinese is the best language because most people speak it. Partially true, but missing the point.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:06 am

PsyLiam wrote:That's not because the US is better at making big-budget live action films though. Well, it is, but not because there's something in the American psyche that makes those people intrinsically better. It's just that, well, Hollywood is in the US. Hollywood makes big budget action films. Hence, big budget action films are largely American.

Saying that US films beat all other ones is like saying that Chinese is the best language because most people speak it. Partially true, but missing the point.
Um, I think you supported my point instead of refuting it. And, in general, They do. It's not MY OPINION. It's FACT. The numbers don't lie.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:10 am

No, I do agree with you. I am just agreeing from an impartial point of view, rather than a "GO USA GO!" point of view.

Besides, who exactly is trying to compete with the US in terms of Mega-Bucks-Action films? No-one. Leading a field of one isn't that hard.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:04 pm

Tenken wrote:
Um, the only thing you showed me there is that you failed to read my post. Of course US doesen't equal good. I'm just saying that US doesen't equal bad either, seeing as how most DB fans I've talked to seem to think that no one can make good DB movies except TOEI. And the reason I use 'US' is because of this: It wouldn't matter which movie studio was doing the movie, we'd be having the same discussion. All I said is that 'It has just as much a chance to be good as it does to be bad.' Check my above post, it's there...

And I base my view on the fact that, in general, US live-action films stomp mudholes in everything else. (Look at the top movies in Japan right now) *snicker
Yes, but you also said that if any country had a chance of making a decent DB movie, it'd be US. Now, this could be considered true because there are a lot more good film companies in the US, but that still doesn't entirely prove your statement. First, I doubt DBZ will have a huge budget pumped into it, ala the Matrix or Spider Man, if you will. If a movie has fantastic effects and it's American, it's always because it's given a huge budget for it. I seriously doubt DB will get anything close. That leaves what? Hopefully, a skilled director, good actors and a decent script. Now, in that area, any country has as high a chance of doing a good job as the US. Some, even more. That was what I was getting at, so apologies if I got anything wrong or something.

Also, posting a Box Office link from another country doesn't really prove anything. All it says is that there are bad films that make a lot of money. For all you know, really, there could be truely brilliant and beautiful movies made in said country that simply don't make it into the Box Office.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:48 pm

Dai wrote: Also, posting a Box Office link from another country doesn't really prove anything. All it says is that there are bad films that make a lot of money. For all you know, really, there could be truely brilliant and beautiful movies made in said country that simply don't make it into the Box Office.
I couldn't agree more with you Dai. Takeshi Kitano, a Japanese filmmaker, is considered one of the most innovative and talented in the world today in fact. As for James' comment about DBZ being action and very little of everything else, I also agree with. However, that still doesn't mean it will be a good film.

As a lover of Asian films of all kinds, including those crazy fantasy and action films, I can tell you right now that many of them have something that most American ones lack. Unique and imaginative characters and an interesting storyline. Ya, the stunts and special effects are low budget and often times look "amatuerish" in comparison, but these films more than make up for it. I can honestly say that I've enjoyed more Asian fantasy/action films than I've ever enjoyed American ones. The interesting characters and scenes make these much lower budget films an absolute delight to watch. I love Jackie Chan's early Hong Kong films much more than anything American he's done, excluding "Shanghai Noon" and "Shanghai Knights", which equalled a lot of his earlier work. What I'm trying to say is, these types of Asian films may be "hokey", but they're lots more fun.

And as my last bit of proof, watch "Once Upon A Time In China" with Jet Li and "Legend of Drunken Master 2" with Jackie Chan. These are two of the greatest fantasy/action films ever made in my opinion. And two of the most entertaining.^_^
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:27 pm

Dai wrote:If a movie has fantastic effects and it's American, it's always because it's given a huge budget for it. I seriously doubt DB will get anything close.
Frankly, even American films with relatively small budgets still feature special effects far beyond what most other countries are willing to pay for or capable of producing.
Dai wrote:That leaves what? Hopefully, a skilled director, good actors and a decent script.
A lack of acceptable special effects leaves nothing, since a live-action DB film would absolutely fail without them. Dragon Ball is not character-driven and the plot is very simplistic. This movie wouldn't work if the characters swoop around on strings like Mr. Satan's gag sequence from the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai.
Dai wrote:Now, in that area, any country has as high a chance of doing a good job as the US. Some, even more. That was what I was getting at, so apologies if I got anything wrong or something.
Yeah, so any country could produce a good DB film if Dragon Ball was a drama which focused on character development. It's not, though, and only a few places have a chance at getting the action sequences right.

I mean, the last thing I want to see is Bollywood Vegeta tossing Goku through stacks of wooden crates, throwing foam boulders at him and riding off on a motorcycle.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:04 pm

*Sighs*

Okay, I really have no desire to argue about this, especially if that's how you're gonna act. This is just such a petty thing to want to be right about. Let's just leave it at the fact that I disagree with you, for my own reasons. Getting into an argument about that is not something I want. I really, really dislike arguments, so I see no point in going on with defending my view to others. It's just my view... I know it is. What you said is your view. You know it is. Getting into an argument because of those two views is pointless, because it won't change anything. I disagree with you, for my reasons, you disagree with me, for your reasons. Let's just leave it at that.

To Jerseymilk... Haven you seen the latest ''Zatouichi'' yet? Seeing as how it's not only directed and written by Takeshi Kitano, and considering it's one of the few ''foreign'' films to be shown theatrically in Holland this year, I've been considering going to it... There're just hardly any reviews out there, and I don't want to waste a good 8 bucks.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:12 pm

In an semi-related note, Drunken Master 2 is one of my favorite films. :D

And I doubt any of you would argue against Japan being the best country at Animated Films. Sure there are good animated films in the US, but Anime is Japan's specialty. I'm just applying that same idea to the US. I'm not trying to say that US directors are on a higher plain of existence, I'm just stating the facts.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:22 pm

Dai wrote: To Jerseymilk... Haven you seen the latest ''Zatouichi'' yet? Seeing as how it's not only directed and written by Takeshi Kitano, and considering it's one of the few ''foreign'' films to be shown theatrically in Holland this year, I've been considering going to it... There're just hardly any reviews out there, and I don't want to waste a good 8 bucks.
Don't worry, it'll be 8 bucks well spent. ^_^

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:54 pm

My opinions are simple, but they work for me - if it'll be bad, no problemski, everyone are saying it'll be a crap anyway, so noone is going to be dissapointed. If it'll be good, that's, well, good, pleasant surprise an' all. Let's just wait now, so we save some acid for later, comrades!
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:59 pm

Heh he. A hilarious image just popped into my head regarding a live action movie...

Starring Colin Farrell as Goku!

"Ah'm fuckin' gonna not fuckin' (Smoke, chug) shitty Super fuckin' Saiyan (Drag, drink)."

See, the joke is Colin Farrell has a thick as hell Irish accent, and he swears, smokes, and drinks all the time. Heh? HEH!?

Well, I found it funny, that's all that matters.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:53 pm

Don't forget that 90% of all American movies that are considered box-office smashes SUCK MONUMENTAL BOOTY.

It's not the country of origin that designate how good or crappy a movie is though, my favorite movie (actually 3 tied for #1) of all time are the three TMNT movies, and number 2 is a Japanese and American release, The Ring/Ringu
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:14 am

Dai wrote:Okay, I really have no desire to argue about this, especially if that's how you're gonna act. This is just such a petty thing to want to be right about. Let's just leave it at the fact that I disagree with you, for my own reasons. Getting into an argument about that is not something I want. I really, really dislike arguments, so I see no point in going on with defending my view to others. It's just my view... I know it is. What you said is your view. You know it is. Getting into an argument because of those two views is pointless, because it won't change anything. I disagree with you, for my reasons, you disagree with me, for your reasons. Let's just leave it at that.
This isn't an argument, and it's not really an issue of opinion. Hollywood is the only place which produces films with consistantly high-quality special effects. A live-action Dragon Ball Z feature would require and rely on consistantly high-quality special effects.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:19 am

The main problem with Toei producing a new DB movie is thus: Everyone in Japan still hates GT, so you can't set it after GT. So, you have to either re-tell part of the story (which is pretty uninteresting), or set it in one of that post-DBZ 10-year leap. Which works for the fans (Goku is adult and can go SSJ3, Gohan is still mystic, Goten & Trunks can still fuse, plus a young Uub) but would be horrendously overcomplicated for a non-fan or new fan to get. Which is fine when a show is rediculously popular, but a much bigger gamble when you're essentially trying to re-invigorate a franchise. Bottom line: A new animated DB feature is prolly not likely unless Funi helped bankroll it, thus creating it mainly for the ginormous US audience it could get. It's not impossible, 4Kids did it for the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie opening next weekend.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:56 am

I wouldn't go so far to say everyone in Japan still hates GT. I really don't think they bother about it anymore.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:46 am

True, and...
This isn't an argument, and it's not really an issue of opinion. Hollywood is the only place which produces films with consistantly high-quality special effects. A live-action Dragon Ball Z feature would require and rely on consistantly high-quality special effects.
Err... Yes. That is a matter of opinion. And the first statement simply isn't true, no matter how you bend it. When you look at...

..Aw, hell. Why do I bother? I said I wouldn't. I disagree with you. Firmly. Let's leave it at that, please. Again, I have no interest when it comes to this to defend my point of view to others.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:26 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:I wouldn't go so far to say everyone in Japan still hates GT. I really don't think they bother about it anymore.
Fair enough, they prolly don't. I just think it's unlikely that Toei would wanna include mention of GT in a new product if they didn't have to. Certainly they wouldn't advertise something as being related to DBGT when they could put the DBZ name on it.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:09 pm

That's true. Both Japan and the US stick "DBZ" on products that could quite happily have "DBGT" on them (the new Budokai game being a case in point).
SDHero wrote:...set it in one of that post-DBZ 10-year leap. Which works for the fans (Goku is adult and can go SSJ3, Gohan is still mystic, Goten & Trunks can still fuse, plus a young Uub) but would be horrendously overcomplicated for a non-fan or new fan to get.
I dunno. How would that be much more complicated than setting it at any other time? Main characters hair changes when he gets more powerful...pretty much the same for the final two thirds of DBZ and all of GT. Other main character who's hair doesn't change...requires about 10 seconds of dialogue (although I imagine that Gohan would be fairly ignored in any new DBZ movie, because he's not Goku or Vegeta. The poor lad). Fusion...also requires about 10 seconds of dialogue.

Seems a fairly good place to place a new story, to me.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:42 pm

I was more referring to anyone attempting to understand who these characters are more than the transformations themselves, but yeah, Dragonball Z has convoluted charachter relationships at most points of the series. There's no great place to set a movie where the 200-440 or so episodes of continuity won't create a problem for non-fans.