Gotenks

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EternalBlade

Gotenks

Post by EternalBlade » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:21 am

In the Baby saga why don't goten and trunks ever fuse while in their adult form?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:30 am

An example of GT insanity; Goten and Trunks were ready to fuse to fight Baby as Gotenks, but Goku warns them that even if they did fuse, and all rushed him at once, that Baby would still wipe them out easily. He goes on to say that his own SSJ4 powers were the only thing strong enough to beat him.

However, that doesn't explain why they didn't try it against Super #17, or the Shadow Dragons. :?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:35 am

Yep. It's the same explanation as everything else that happens in GT. An adult Gotenks would have been sweet. Hmm, wonder if B3 might have adult Goten/Trunks/Gotenks.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:03 pm

Yes, Goku warns them that it might actually raise interest in the show since they'd be taking away his glory, and so he alone must continue fighting stupid fucking Baby Vegeta.

As for the shadow dragons, I believe Gohan reasons with them that if the only two characters in GT to actually achieve anything are failing (Goku and Vegeta), what would the combination of a wuss who's completely dispatched by every villian with such minimal effort that even Chaotzu shakes his head whenever he enters a room and a sissy who wears the same goddamn boyscout uniform everyday do against the ultimate killing machine. Besides, Gotenks would look cool, but the GT golden rule says, "The uglier the character design, the stronger the character," and so there you are.

As for an adult Gotenks in GT, that'd be great, but who really wants to play GT Goten? I mean, come on... What would be his attacks?

"Generic-Ki-blast-HA!"

"Hundreds-of-useless-energy-things STRIKE!"

"Stand-on-the-sidelines-and-chitchat-to-Gohan-and-Trunks ATTACK!"

And maybe his devastating finisher would be to use his corpse as a distraction until someone who can actually FIGHT decides to show up.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:37 pm

Because it's GT. Nuff said. :-P
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:42 pm

I could just see that now; every GT fighter should have a finishing move, where they get beaten up and then SSJ4 Goku rushes in to beat the enemy easily, like they did for Videl in Budokai 2.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:51 pm

I can't really see your reasoning for Goten getting beaten constantly, though. All of the enemies in GT are way beyond any of the characters apart from Goku, all of the time. The few times Goten actually fights in GT, he usually wins. It might be against minor bad guys, but still. Goten doesn't nearly achieve Chaozu's level. Heck, even Piccolo technically loses more battles in GT.

Same with Trunks, by the way. Meh, I guess it's just your overwhelming hatred for GT taking over.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:16 am

Can we even call those "battles"? Usually its one ki-blast and they are down!

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:53 am

Yeah, well, the fights in GT are forgettable. The series lacks the intensity and choreography of DBZ, resulting in morons continuously hitting eachother back and forth or a group of pansies being handed their respective asses by somekind of throwaway villian from the old Ninja Turtles cartoon. Needless to say, this makes it harder for Goten to impress me. It's not the fact that he loses that irks me, it's that he loses in the most pathetic ways possible to the worst villians possible. Vegeta: now THERE was a guy who could make losing look cool. Whether it was against Fat Buu, Kid Buu, Perfect Cell, or whomever, he could still go down like a badass. Then he was consumed by alcoholism, which explains his limited role in GT.

And just look at Goten... look at 'I'm... I mean, just LOOK at him. I'm shocked that Goku didn't disown him.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:21 am

Huh?

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:55 am

I... I don't know. It was late for Oponok. Very late.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:56 am

I thought that Goten looked okay in GT. He didn't have stupid clothing like Trunks, stupid facial hair like Vegeta, or stupid glasses like Gohan. He definitely faired the best.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:03 am

"If Goku cant do it, who can?"

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:17 am

No, Piccolo faired the best, being granted the mercy of early death. The whole point is that while Gotenks would be cool, if they're not even adding Pan to Budoukai 3, and since no one would prefer GT Trunks over future or kid Trunks, then Goten doesn't have much of a shot of making it.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:15 pm

I love how Toei finally remembered Piccolo existed just in time to have Bebi-Gohan kill him off to demonstrate his power. Except that he's not dead, because otherwise Bebi couldn't have used the Black Star Dragonballs a few episodes later, plus he has to show back up to decide to die after Bebi is defeated. Ugh. Thanks for ruining Piccolo, Toei.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:16 am

Yes, perhaps my favorite scene in GT:

Baby Gohan: I'm so powerful, now. Saiyans are stupid. Now, I can exact my revenge, 'cause I'm so powerful, now. I need more power, though. So I can... uh... be more powerful or something akin to that, although it's hard to tell which body to take over since no one on this show could raise enough ki to light a f*cking votive except Goku. Speaking of whom, I won't bother taking Goku's body for some reason, which will likely be my downfall. Maybe because GT Goku's too good to bleed. I'm powerful. Look at me and my power.

(Piccolo randomly appears.)

Piccolo: Gohan...!

BOOM!

Baby Gohan: Bitch! Now where was I...? Oh, yeah. I was starting on that great exacting of revenge on the Saiyans, though I'll do it by conquering the humans' planet... Uh... I'm powerful. Saiyans are stupid.

I kind of just looked at the screen for a while in disbelief.
Piccolo? Uh... that WAS Piccolo, right?