Dragonball Movie up against Hannah Montana Movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 pm

< < But as a 14-15 year old girl I was still watching DBZ as opposed to the girly things of the day. Basically I'm saying it's not as simple as saying anything's for boys or girls only as kids can like whatever they want.
Last edited by Velasa on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Velasa wrote:< < But as a 14-15 year old girl I was still watching DBZ as opposed to the girly things of the day. Basically I'm saying it's not as simple as saying anything's for boys or girls only as kids can like whatever they want.
Point taken. You're still very cool!
14 years later

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Okay, yes, in general, "most" boys will be going to see DragonBall while "most" girls would prefer Hannah Montanah. >_>
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Even if I'm not a fan of the re-imagining so far (I refuse to call it an adaption), that makes me wanna buy a Dragonball ticket just so it makes more money than Hannah Montana.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:13 pm

Hannah Montana is still around?I sort of disregarded her as something that would go away fairly quickly...I guess I underestimated some strange appeal she has. Then again I thought Spongebob would go away quickly too so I guess I just don't have a knack for that kind of stuff.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:24 pm

Kendamu wrote:(I refuse to call it an adaption)
But... that's what it is.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:22 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Hannah Montana is still around?I sort of disregarded her as something that would go away fairly quickly...I guess I underestimated some strange appeal she has. Then again I thought Spongebob would go away quickly too so I guess I just don't have a knack for that kind of stuff.
What do you, live under a rock? I can't go anywhere without seeing something Hanna Montana related.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:40 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Hannah Montana is still around?I sort of disregarded her as something that would go away fairly quickly...I guess I underestimated some strange appeal she has. Then again I thought Spongebob would go away quickly too so I guess I just don't have a knack for that kind of stuff.
But people of all ages like Spongebob. Only little girls like Hannah Montana.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:43 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Girls see Hannah Montana, and boys see DragonBall. That's all I really meant.
I will probably see both. So that’s two tickets for Hannah Montana. :P
And DragonBall's "crappy buzz" doesn't go much farther than obsessive internet-type people, really. It won't effect more general audiences.
Actually, of all the “general audience” types I’ve talked to, they think it looks like a trainwreck. And yes, even they take issue with Piccolo not being green. It isn’t all fanaticism.
MisterFlashdude wrote:I'm going to piss myself laughing when Hannah Montana makes more at the box office than Dragonball. :lol:
I honestly think we should help it do that. The victory would be bittersweet.
Kendamu wrote:Even if I'm not a fan of the re-imagining so far (I refuse to call it an adaption), that makes me wanna buy a Dragonball ticket just so it makes more money than Hannah Montana.
If you really don’t support the movie, then don’t support it. The only way the producers can be spoken to is through their wallets. They’re counting on people to see it “just because it’s Dragonball” to turn a profit. Or do we really want to drag this out into a trilogy?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:Or do we really want to drag this out into a trilogy?
Yes. :D
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:47 pm

omegacwa wrote:
What do you, live under a rock? I can't go anywhere without seeing something Hanna Montana related.
Nope, I live in Chicago...then again I'm not lurking around small girls or toy stores where her products would be the most prominent so maybe that's why I don't see a lot of her. I was barely aware of her existence up until my cousin brought over a little barbie doll of her.
Super Sonic wrote:
But people of all ages like Spongebob. Only little girls like Hannah Montana.
I would care to disagree but to each their own.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:Or do we really want to drag this out into a trilogy?
Who cares?

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Who cares?
Please, we can barely even get through one movie on here without biting each other’s heads off, and that movie isn’t even out yet. Yes, let’s definitely multiply that three or four more times.

But even in a more general sense, I don’t want to applaud a bad job and I don’t want to be bothered by bearing witness to duplicate bad jobs, nor the swarm of merchandising that will undoubtedly follow, hawking even more non-Dragonball products under the Dragonball title, all the while driving the public opinion of Dragonball further into the ground. And the less financially viable the rights holders think their property is, the more likely they will be to sell it to someone capable of doing a better job. That’s what I want to see more than sequels: a reboot of the entire DB movie line.

Yasai-R-Mighty
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yasai-R-Mighty » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:00 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Girls see Hannah Montana, and boys see DragonBall. That's all I really meant.
I'd say only 14 and under versions of Mrs. Breifs would be interested in Hanah Montana, or in other words little airheads. I know tons of girls who neither like DB nor Hanah Montana, but because they despise the latter so much, they would probably opt to watch DB, if only given those two choices.

Anyways, I was considering not even bothering to watch, the Dragonball butcherization, I mean adaptation, out of courtesy for my fellow movie goers, I'd probably be yelling out about how crappy this movie is, and how it's not even recognizable as Dragonball if it weren't for the title. Now seeing that they actually think that Hanah Montana will stands a better chance against it, makes me want to go, just to support the name Dragonball.
[Insert mind blowingly cool quote here]

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 pm

Initially this movie made me angry, then it made me sad, now I find it pretty amusing.

I'm definitely going to see it, I know I'll hate it, but they'll get my eight dollars.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Yasai-R-Mighty wrote:I'd say only 14 and under versions of Mrs. Breifs would be interested in Hanah Montana, or in other words little airheads.
Why all the HM hate? Do you guys all have little sisters or something? :P
Now seeing that they actually think that Hanah Montana will stands a better chance against it, makes me want to go, just to support the name Dragonball.
But that’s all it is: Dragonball in name only (DINO?)… regardless of whether it opens against Hannah Montana or not, you’re still supporting a cheap imitation.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:28 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:
Yasai-R-Mighty wrote:I'd say only 14 and under versions of Mrs. Breifs would be interested in Hanah Montana, or in other words little airheads.
Why all the HM hate? Do you guys all have little sisters or something? :P
Now seeing that they actually think that Hanah Montana will stands a better chance against it, makes me want to go, just to support the name Dragonball.
But that’s all it is: Dragonball in name only (DINO?)… regardless of whether it opens against Hannah Montana or not, you’re still supporting a cheap imitation.
Same with the dub, and yet a good 98% of us owe our fandom to that terrible farce of a production. And the dub actually screwed up the original source material...the movie is an original production, so no matter how much of a farce it is...there's no use in getting angry and hateful about it. Because, frankly, at the very worst and the absolute darkest, it'll be as much of a horrible joke as the dub, but this time they aren't ruining the original work.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragonball Movie up against Hannah Montana Movie

Post by Big Momma » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:02 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote: Also, I agree with Chuquita. Alright, DragonBall, let's show Disney's latest pop-skank-in-training what REAL franchise staying power is!
Whoa, Kaboom. She's not a skank(yet?)...unless she blows it, like Jamie Lynn and Hudgens. :o :lol:

Anywhoo, I don't really think this will affect the movie much, if at all. A bunch of 12-15 year old tween girls aren't going to go see this instead of Dragonball because they weren't going to see it in the first place. The same goes with the fans of Dragonball.

On another note, I really...reeaaally hate to say this, but I think that the number of teenage tween Hannah fans surpases the number of Dragonball fans and people that will care enough about Dragonball to see this movie. I hope with everything that this is false...but I'm doubting it. :?

EDIT:
Why all the HM hate? Do you guys all have little sisters or something?
If you don't have one...then you have NO idea....
I have the kind of sister that will get up and dance/sing along with High School Musical...and of course, she'll probably see the movie Friday...
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:But even in a more general sense, I don’t want to applaud a bad job and I don’t want to be bothered by bearing witness to duplicate bad jobs
Then don't see the movie(s)!
Acid_Reign wrote:nor the swarm of merchandising that will undoubtedly follow, hawking even more non-Dragonball products under the Dragonball title
I don't see how that's going to hurt you.
Acid_Reign wrote:all the while driving the public opinion of Dragonball further into the ground
Oh, please. Do you know how ridiculous you sound?
Acid_Reign wrote:And the less financially viable the rights holders think their property is, the more likely they will be to sell it to someone capable of doing a better job. That’s what I want to see more than sequels: a reboot of the entire DB movie line.
I don't see any of that happening. I mean, if the movie bombs, who's going to want to buy the rights for another movie? And surely they would have a substantially lower budget than this one...

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:29 pm

This reminds me of 2002.

That said, Dragonball's chances are gone. There is no way it will stand against the newest fad.
Plus, Hannah Montana's last film actually got quite a lot of money.