How many poeple have know DBZ more than 10 years?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:16 pm

Scarz wrote:I
Although my first exposure to anime was Fatal Fury the movie and Kite (I know, a 12 year kid watching the unrated version of Kite. Imagine my reaction)
Having never heard of it before, I gave this "Kite" a wikipedia search...

:shock:

And you were 12 years old...that would have screwed me up for life, man. :P

Anywhoo, I first saw DBZ on FOX back around 1997 or so, so it's been about 11 years since I first saw it. However, I didn't become a fan until about 2000, so 7 years.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:27 pm

First exposure... I believe it was mid-'94, when the local video game magazine covered some upcoming video games from the recent CES (the pre-E3 video game fair, for you youngsters) and brought up "Dragon Ball Z 3 (Butouden 3 for the SNES)", a game that according to them was rather blah, but would probably sell like crazy, as "the Japanese love their manga heroes". I hd no idea what a "manga" was at the time, so I was only familiar with the franchise as a video game series for years. I played the first Gameboy game around that time too, on a multicart, but due to the game being somewhat texty and I had no clue what the hell was going on apart from the fact that it was some sort of menu-driven fighting game.

My first direct introduction to the series was around 98-99 or so, when I went online and discovered this "video game series" was in fact based on a cartoon. For some reason, I took an interest in the plot, and looked up various plot summaries and episode guides here and there, and after a failed attempt at downloading some episodes, eventually ended up purchasing two incredibly pricey (60-70$ each) American import DVDs from early DBZ (dub-only, too). Around this time, the manga started getting a Danish release, and I picked up the series from an import comic book store (the Danish translation is not the best, but it's miles better than the later Norwegian one), but I never got around to watching the Japanese version of the anime until 2003, when FUNi released the "Tournament Saga" on DVD.

So, uh.. I've known the name "Dragonball" for more than 10 years, but not really what it was.

dchan316
Beyond Newbie

Post by dchan316 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 pm

I started getting really into it from the EGM's back in the mid-ish 90's, but I had the Chinese manga version of volume 19 for who knows how many years. I got a taste of Super Butoden 2 when that was fairly new, and was totally into it. Then I caught Dragonball when it started airing, the first 13 episodes, and just kept getting more interested.

Then, by sheer luck, I caught the very first episode of DBZ when it started showing, and started recording them from the second episode (before they started editing their lines), and thats when the obsession began.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:58 am

Big Momma wrote:
Scarz wrote:I
Although my first exposure to anime was Fatal Fury the movie and Kite (I know, a 12 year kid watching the unrated version of Kite. Imagine my reaction)
Having never heard of it before, I gave this "Kite" a wikipedia search...

:shock:

And you were 12 years old...that would have screwed me up for life, man. :P
It was movies like Kite that made me venture out and find others like it. (Minus the rape) That's hows I found my comic book shop and eventually Dragonball bootlegs. So I wouldn't say Kite screwed me up, I'm completely normal person now, despite being a former hentai reviewer, a freelance artist who has a bizarre love for ultra violent animes, and animated tits.

See, perfectly normal. But I do have dreams about giant stuff animals, with milk for blood trying to kill me. Wait, that wasn't Kite! Damn you Akira!
Last edited by Scarz on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:59 am

For me it was 91,92 i'm 25 now,
First time seen Dragonballz was piccolo vs freeza cantonese.
Was something different then TMNT never stopped loving it from that time on
I have watched most versions but jap was the best cantonese was good too,
But characters names are funny Goku(Mhong)Gohan(Moefan)Vegeta(Petala)
Piccolo(Motom)Cell(Cilong)Dragonball(Longshu) Freeza(Fele ore pele)
Anyway from that time on i made friends with many chinees poeple(kids),
So that i can follow and watch dragonball. lol

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 am

From what I recall Vegeta was actually called ' Bay Dat ' in the cantonese dub, and Gohan was ' Mm Fan '. Then again, I haven't seen the cantonese dub in years now, but I'm almost positive Vegeta wasn't called ' Petala '.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:10 am

'Guess that would be 1988, for me...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How many poeple know dbz more then 10 years

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:37 am

shinmaru wrote:Hi i'm curious how many poeple know Db from the japanese cantonese time.
And where and how did you first meet your love (dbz) lol
I started watching DB in the early 90's in France...

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Re: How many poeple know dbz more then 10 years

Post by Shenron » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:52 am

sangofe wrote:
shinmaru wrote:Hi i'm curious how many poeple know Db from the japanese cantonese time.
And where and how did you first meet your love (dbz) lol
I started watching DB in the early 90's in France...
Same for me. Or maybe in the late 80's.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Blue+Shenron][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Blue+Shenron.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://vanesshenron.deviantart.com/]Deviantart[/url]

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:41 am

1993 here. Foreign exchange student introduced it to me years back.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:13 pm

Hm, I think 1997. Nostalgia...

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:29 pm

Check my sig. 18 years for me. I saw Dragonball as a child in Spain.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:28 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Check my sig. 18 years for me. I saw Dragonball as a child in Spain.
Bola the dragon :) in spain you still see dragonball 7 8 times a day,
Its still very popular

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:33 pm

Castor Troy wrote:First exposure like most people was from EGM in 92-93 or so.

Became an official fan in 98, so that's 10 years. :)
This! Except 95 was the year for me becoming a fan.

Holy hell, it was so awesome looking at the back of EGM magazines and wishing I could order the toys and games that were advertised by seedy looking import companies. ;;

Wonder if those guys are even still around or if the internet just outdid them in business.

But either way, it's been more than 10 years for me.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:50 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Fall of 1999 so not quite 10 years.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:43 pm

I caught DB and DBZ syndicated around late 1997, then I started following it regularly once it hit Cartoon Network in 1998. So yeah, a little over 10 years for me.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:56 pm

I've known it for a while but not quite 10 years. I think I discovered it in 2000. It'll be 10 years soon enough.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:24 am

First exposure to the series was in 1996. I was staying over at a friend's place one night, and we ended up staying up pretty much the whole night. Once 5AM rolled around, Dragonball came on TV, and since I had just recently become an anime fan at that time, I was curious to see more shows (I'd pretty much just seen Sailormoon and not much else at that time). I enjoyed it, but didn't really bother to seek it out much after watching it.

Flash forward to 1997 or 1998. Dragonball Z was airing Saturday mornings, and, having heard a lot more people talking about it over the past couple years, I started watching it. I ended up being hooked from the beginning, even though I didn't really know what was going on (I started smack dab in the middle of the Namek episodes). So, yeah, it has been about 10 or 11 years since I became a fan of the series.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:19 pm

My first viewing of Dragonball Z was some of the first showings on Cartoon Network, It was long enough ago that I had the analogue sky so must be rocking on for a good ten years.
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]