Not really major just something I noticed....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Not really major just something I noticed....

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:02 am

In Dragonball English Manga 16. When Piccolo and Kami are talking Namekian in pages 9 - 12, They have the Namekian writing and under that the translation in English. Thats fine but some sentences in Namekian end with a "?" while the English translation will end with a "!" and visa versa. It makes it look like the wrong translation.

well...Iam now 60% more of a loser for pointing that out :cry:

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:40 pm

Welcome to the club, my friend. *raises wine glass*

Anyway, I noticed that too. Just consider it another translation error in the world.

*sigh*

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Not really major just something I noticed....

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:14 pm

The lines are translated more or less accurately. They take a bit of liberty with phrasing, hence the difference in sentence endings... but remember that part of it is simply the Japanese to English aspect, as well.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:33 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:The lines are translated more or less accurately. They take a bit of liberty with phrasing, hence the difference in sentence endings... but remember that part of it is simply the Japanese to English aspect, as well.
I'll second that. It may be counterintuitive, but some questions (particularly rhetorical ones) in Japanese are best conveyed as statements or even exclamations in English. I give you the "-te tamaru ka" grammatical construction, for example (those of you familiar with it will know what I mean).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:47 am

Daimao wrote: I'll second that. It may be counterintuitive, but some questions (particularly rhetorical ones) in Japanese are best conveyed as statements or even exclamations in English. I give you the "-te tamaru ka" grammatical construction, for example (those of you familiar with it will know what I mean).
**Reads and feels stupid** 1+1 in binary = 10! 8)

.... I ain't me not no ijit not no way no how! :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.