GT: Opinions; what would you do?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Oddish

GT: Opinions; what would you do?

Post by Oddish » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:38 pm

Okay, so GT is pretty much despised by the Dragonball community, with many people finding it an insult to the original, too boring to watch, or badly-executed.

So, I'd personally scrap SSJ4, as kickass as it does look. It makes no sense to me; how does it relate to the other levels at all? If anything, it's Oozaru 2.

The arcs would have to be reworked as well, eliminating most of the crap from the GT arc, and the Shadow Dragons (which needed extending. MotD does not sit well with me).

But, what would you guys dislike or do differently?

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:48 pm

I specially didn't like how Goku always saved the day.

They portrayed the other characters as almost useless. I know that he was ,in terms of power, the strongest, but I wish the rest of characters could do something.

Edited, sorry for the grammar
Last edited by RandomDbzEnthusiast on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:55 pm

So, I'd personally scrap SSJ4, as kickass as it does look. It makes no sense to me; how does it relate to the other levels at all? If anything, it's Oozaru 2.
Well yeah, but what's wrong with Oozaru 2?

Anyway, I'd focus on Pan and Uub more. I think the next generation of fighters should have been more important to the story, instead of Goku fixing every problem himself.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Adult Gotenks.

That is all.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Have Vegeta be the protector of the Earth, since Goku lost most of his power when he became a kid.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Rocketman wrote:Have Vegeta be the protector of the Earth, since Goku lost most of his power when he became a kid.

What, how dare you ignore Idiot #2? :shock: He should have been the star!
After all he was given the SUPER AWESOME GOD POWER. :roll:
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Adult Gotenks
That would have done wonders for GT in my book.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Horgus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Horgus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Rehash the old villains in a way that would not suck and actually be interesting, and also would further develop some storyline points that were missing to begin with (Freeza's race origins, Majin Buu's 'home', etc).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:25 pm

No turning Goku into a child.

I don't care how nostalgic Toei was, I believe it was a bone-headed move.

Edit: Now that I think about it, let Pilaf have his wish; let that be the wish they have to undo (a Pilaf-ruled Earth). Or, or just something else.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:10 pm

I would do essentially the same thing as I'm doing and/or planning to do in my GT rewrite fanfic... the same concepts, just executed better. Among these would include:

- Child Goku: It was a neat little twist that helped the earlier parts of the show be fun and lighthearted. It would not be permanent, though. He'd get turned back into an adult one way or another.
- Less focus on Goku, of course. DragonBall is his series, of course, but let someone else handle one of the villains every so often.
- No plotholes. If something was set up to be a certain way at or by the end of Z, then it'd remain or play out that way in GT.
- Better character concepts/designs. One part is visually... No mustache for Vegeta or neckerchief for Trunks, etc... As well as conceptually. As cool as the last three Shadow Dragons were, the rest were a joke, and most didn't really fit in with the serious tone of the series at that point. Stuff like that.
- SSj4. I think it's awesome, but you all know that. Amalgamation of both sides of a Saiyan's power, the ultimate and unsurpassable step in their evolution, the "true" Super Saiyan, etc... But I'd make sure it STAYS awesome. None of the ridiculous underpowering that eventually happened to it. Anyone remember how insanely gwar it was when Goku first used it in those first couple well-animated episodes against Babi? Yeah, it'd remain that way for the whole series.
- I'd make the Super 17 arc make sense. I don't know how I'd do it (still don't for my fanfic), but I'd either figure something out, or omit it entirely.
- I'd give it a solid and comprehensible ending. If I retained the "Goku goes away with Shenlong" angle, I'd have there be some reason for it (Which I do indeed have prepared for GTR... look forward to that part sometime in 2015!).
- Pan would be less lame, and achieve at least Super Saiyan 1.
- Uub would also be less lame.
- Adult Gotenks. Somewhere, sometime, somehow.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:24 pm

- Pan would be less lame, and achieve at least Super Saiyan 1.
If it was me, I'd have her somehow inherit her father's mystic upgrade. I know that sounds weird, but I figure, the spark of life that gets you going comes from your parents. I wouldn't be surprised if your ki, part of your spiritual strength, is also passed to the child at conception. And since Gohan's ki was uniquely changed at that point, who's to say it couldn't rub off on his child? Or if you want a more scientific explanation, the same kind of theory that Goten and Trunks went SSJ so easily because their parents already had.

Anyway, that way Pan could keep up with Uub and the series could focus more on them. I wouldn't have her have access to all that strength right away though, it would take practice/necessity just like SSJ. It just has more room for expansion.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:25 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:- Uub would also be less lame.
I look forward to the evolution and depth I know you can give Uub, no doubt putting Toei's expansion of him to shame. :D
14 years later

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:23 pm

Bussani wrote:If it was me, I'd have her somehow inherit her father's mystic upgrade. I know that sounds weird, but I figure, the spark of life that gets you going comes from your parents.
I've read a certain GT fanfic that took that angle, and did it surprisingly well, also using it to explain why Gohan could go SSj again while she couldn't. But even though she had the powerup, it still worked more like a transformation and didn't just automatically boost her up to Gohan's level or anything. I'm not describing it well, but it was pretty nicely done.

I'm planning on doing kind of a reversal of the same concept in GTR... Pan is eventually capable of SSj, but because of Gohan's power being reworked and reorganized, with SSj going bye-bye as part of it, it's kind of been "reset" for her. Rather than having it automatically like Goten and Trunks do, she has to actually work for it like Goku, Vegeta and Gohan did. Although she's still got more power to work with from the get-go.
Conan the SSJ wrote:I look forward to the evolution and depth I know you can give Uub, no doubt putting Toei's expansion of him to shame.
Yaes, here's hoping.

Anyway, this isn't a thread about GTR... that'll happen on its own whenever I finish the current chapter. Back on-topic!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Sounds interesting. I wouldn't have made it a transformation, but I also wouldn't have had it make her as strong as Gohan right away. She'd be more like Uub, having the potential to access amazing power, but not the skill to do so yet. Gohan didn't actually tap in to the power until he did his 'super saiyajin thing', which he already knew how to do, so for Pan it would take practice.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:34 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:- Child Goku: It was a neat little twist that helped the earlier parts of the show be fun and lighthearted. It would not be permanent, though. He'd get turned back into an adult one way or another.
- Less focus on Goku, of course. DragonBall is his series, of course, but let someone else handle one of the villains every so often.
Actually, with regards to Goku's de-aging, I'd go 100%: Turn Goku back into the age he was when he came to Earth. Have Pan, Goten, Trunks and Oob go to find the Black Star DragonBalls while Vegeta stays on Earth as its primary defender. Goku, meanwhile, provides comic relief as a baby but cannot steal the dramatic focus.

Here, we have an even split between the old generation and the new. Vegeta acts as a hero (with his own twist, of course) and gets support from Piccolo, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Gohan, etc. Meanwhile Pan, Goten, Trunks and Oob fight out in space. Pan taps into her SSJ potential, Gotenks gets his time to shine and Oob actually becomes the badass he was meant to be.

Eventually, Goku is made whole again and every character has a basis for moving forward. Cue Baby, who possesses the one man no one wants to fight: an older Gohan, who during his debut demonstrates his "Saikyo no Gohan" form, long thought lost. That's right bitches, no lame SSJ Gohan in my version ;p

-Corey

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:40 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:That's right bitches, no lame SSJ Gohan in my version ;p
I've noticed this seems to be a near-universal theme in just about every GT rewrite fic I've come across... and with good reason, too.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:35 am

Hmmm, I agree with most that Kaboom said (which attributes to m love to his fic) but I'd also like to see some extra focus on SSJ2, like, maybe, it's existence. I mean, if Goku was seriously as strong as Toei made him, but couldn't hit SSJ3 because of being a kid, I'd assume that SSJ2 would be his default battle state rather than base. (This is all Pre-SSJ4)

And for Vegeta, level 2 was his strongest form until he gets his scientifically induced upgrade to SSJ4, so I figure he should have at least fought Bebi Gohan in that form.

Also, I think Piccolo's death should have been more important. Sure, he's died before, but he went into it with the intent of staying dead this time, and I believe we could've gotten more development from Gohan if it didn't happen so abruptly.

Finally, the whole evil dragon arc should've been darker. I mean darker-than-the-Saiyan-Freeza-meta-arc-dark. This was such a cool idea for a grand finale for the series and had it's good points, such as Si Xing Long and Yi Xing Long, but it could've been much better. I still think it should end on a high note, so anyone that died or destruction that was done should be reversed, but we should've really seen the consequences of what happens when the DBs were so overused. I like the ambiguity of the ending, so I'm pretty cool with that being the same. The Genki Dama's the best finisher, not knowing wtf Goku and Shenlong are talking about is cool with me, and the montage HAS to stay.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 am

I absolutely loved the stuff where they travelled from planet to planet, I would have liked to see a bigger emphasis on adventure, once it gets to the Bebi arc, it becomes far too much like the movies for my taste.

And yes, adult Gotenks is a must.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:07 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
I've noticed this seems to be a near-universal theme in just about every GT rewrite fic I've come across... and with good reason, too.
I still don't quite understand why Gohan could not go SSJ 1 & 2 while having the Mystic powerup but I am getting off topic. One thing I do have to say is I like certain things about GT such as the revenge of the Tsufurujin (sp?) idea and the Golden Oozaru transformation, among other small things. Yet I agree with most of the changes everyone has said so far.

One minor thing I think Toei failed to explore during the early, Blackstar Dragonball Saga was seeing the remnants of Freeza and King Cold's "Empire". I know Mr. Toriyama has stated he does not consider Freeza to have led a "army" or something, but the dimunitive planet broker obviously held sway over several planets and always referred to himself as the "ruler of the universe". While the latter could have been ego, it seems Freeza had quite the following across the universe. I think plenty of great characters and episodes could have been shown involving whatever was left of Freeza's minions or the impact they and the Saiyans once had in the universe.
Last edited by Maphisto86 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:09 am

Maphisto86 wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
I still don't quite understand why Gohan could not go SSJ 1 & 2 while having the Mystic powerup
Because he was already at full power, the transformations would literally do nothing.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ