Full Movie Trailer Online

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Yuck.

"Dragonball: Evolution" looks like all the rest of the generic fantasy science fiction movies to come out lately. Reluctant super teen takes down terrible tyrant. Ugh. And the action scenes... look terrible. It honestly looks like "DOA: Dead or Alive". At least with the former I could laugh at it because I didn't care about any of the games or characters, but with Dragonball... Ugh.

On the bright side Piccolo's actually green. Not much of a bright side. Gotta let my brain adjust to the crap I just saw. I'll have to post my full impression later, for now I guess "ugh" sums it up.
母しゃべる「ドッグチーズ」

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:47 pm

JAPPO wrote:
Undercooked Sausage wrote:
JAPPO wrote: Ninja Turtles movie sucked.
The 1990 one? Get fucked. It was one of the more entertaining comic book movies ever made.

It was entertaining and even kept that dark feel that the original comics had, but was lighthearted enough for a mass audience.
"Oh, no! Somebody doesn't agree with me! I must go curl up in a ball of angst!"
Yes, I'm a jackass.

Wow, for the first time this movie actually looks... okay. :shock:

And Piccolo is green! And looks to be pretty accurate to Daimao! :D

And the capsule thing and the Kamehameha were awesome.

Goku sucked, though. And the backstory at the start was just... stupid.

And why is Boba Fett's spaceship at 0:11? :?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Piccolo's voice sounds awesome. Special Effects looks like they are out of a Stephen Chow movie, which I guess makes sense since he was the producer, but they also look cartoony, but with a movie based off a cartoon, I guess I don't care. Looks good, but also looks really cheesy, I want to see it in high quality as soon as possible to make my final analysis.

EDIT: On a second viewing, the KAMEHAMEHA is definitely two handed, they just show some random Ki blast at the end after we here the Ha!. Also, it never says that the Dragonballs don't grant wishes, just that they were used to save the world. Also, I could be wrong, but Goku's character in the trailer might be portrayed more generically to "appeal" to a wider audience, while in the actual movie he might be more kidish and blah blah. I won't get my hopes up, but I'm just saying, it is possible.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Whoo-hoo! Awesome! Let's see, a couple things...
Mizugi wrote:The fact that it's a re-imagining of the story set in a more contemporary setting rather than trying to bring the manga EXACTLY as it was to the screen really pleased me, and I'm impressed with what I've seen thus far.
I agree wholeheartedly; a tweaked story doesn't bother me. We all knew it was gonna happen, it happens for these kinds of movies all the time, and like someone else said, DragonBall is no exception. Those few of us who accepted that and moved on are gonna enjoy it. From the looks of things, we're getting a nicely-handled and interesting new take on the Piccolo Daimao saga. Cool.

Action looks great. Lotsa flips and jumps, the way DragonBall should be.

Goku's character... We'll see. A little older and wiser than star-of-series Goku is okay with me though.

Green, badass, city-destroyin' Piccolo... hardcore. Bring it on, Mr. Marsters.

Loved the "transforming" Capsule-Bike. Nice way to do it instead of a comedic POOF-cloud.

Check the shot of something from the sky falling and crashing into the water... Goku's arrival maybe?

I love the smokey, fiery look for Ki techniques. In the manga it was more like... lines. Giving it a flowy appearance like this really helps it. As for the Kamehameha, sweet. Also, like omega just beat me to saying, I don't think that one-handed blast was really the Kamehameha firing. The way Goku was charging it up in that last shot, it'd be a LOT larger and more destructive than that.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Did anyone notice that Master Roshi had his cane in one of those clips? Or was I just seeing things?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:37 pm

I was wondering why Mai was teamed up with Piccolo; she's a demon herself in this incarnation! Making her a shapeshifter is a unique idea that I look forward to seeing.

Slightly annoyed by the capsule bike being identical to movie-Transformers' transformation sequences, though I expected and prefered it over the "Bom!" poof-style of the manga.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Neh, this trailer doesn't scream "DragonBall", but it doesn't scream "Arse-movie that is guaranteed to be a trainwreck" either. I

I'm a bit peeved at the Mystics, and the whole "we needs the DragonBalls to save the world", nor do I care for "Looks, I can has no emotions!" Goku. But hey, that may be just marketing not wanting to put people off with a happy go-lucky Goku in the trailer.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Neh, this trailer doesn't scream "DragonBall", but it doesn't scream "Arse-movie that is guaranteed to be a trainwreck" either. I

I'm a bit peeved at the Mystics, and the whole "we needs the DragonBalls to save the world", nor do I care for "Looks, I can has no emotions!" Goku. But hey, that may be just marketing not wanting to put people off with a happy go-lucky Goku in the trailer.
So, what you're saying is that, for marketing, I'm going to have to put up with Justin Chatwin as Disinterested Emoku?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Just updated the home page with this...

http://movies.ign.com/articles/937/937176p1.html

IGN's streaming (as well as providing downloads of) the trailer, including HD versions. Go get 'em~
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Just updated the home page with this...

http://movies.ign.com/articles/937/937176p1.html

IGN's streaming (as well as providing downloads of) the trailer, including HD versions. Go get 'em~
Cheers, Mike. :)
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:02 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Neh, this trailer doesn't scream "DragonBall", but it doesn't scream "Arse-movie that is guaranteed to be a trainwreck" either. I

So, what you're saying is that, for marketing, I'm going to have to put up with Justin Chatwin as Disinterested Emoku?
As a sell to audiences an Emo-Goku is an easier sell then happy go-lucky, ultra confident Goku. Because happy go-lucky usually implies the movie is solely for children. This puts off a lot of people. Also, Children's movies with PG-13 ratings don't usually exist now do they?

What remains to be seen is if Chatwin's movie Goku is a one dimensional emo, or if he actually does have happy go-lucky parts. This can only be found out once the movie hits in Japan in March.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Until now I was thinking this movie would be horrible, but ridiculous enough to be funny.

I was wrong, it won't even be funny.

Seriously, if it wasn't called "Dragonball", I don't think anybody would be interested in this cheesy, banal carbon copy of any standard asian martial arts movie. Looks like a direct-to-DVD movie to me : there is no original idea to be seen in this trailer. And no talent either.

And I love how they've changed the title !
"What ? It's not faithful to Dragonball ? Of course it's not, it's not called Dragonball, it's called Dragonball Evolution, duh !"
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Blue+Shenron][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Blue+Shenron.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://vanesshenron.deviantart.com/]Deviantart[/url]

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 pm

Shenron wrote: Looks like a direct-to-DVD movie to me : there is no original idea to be seen in this trailer. And no talent either.

"What ? It's not faithful to Dragonball ? Of course it's not, it's not called Dragonball, it's called Dragonball Evolution, duh !"
And if it were to be faithful to DragonBall it wouldn't be very original either, since you know, that story has only been told over 20 times :roll:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:13 pm

Awesome, thanks for the link, Mike. Downloaded me the HQ WMV.

And yeah, I'd rather we see a somewhat different take on the story rather than just a live-action reenactment of the manga everyone's read a hundred times over. We're getting a "DragonBall Movieverse," and I like it that way.
deviantART
[thread]

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:16 pm

Well, I'll see it for the Piccolo. Seems like the only decent thing they did with the movie.

I'm not too worried about everything else. I mean hey, all DB movies are filler anyway right? Why should the live action one be any different.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Zenkai Power wrote:Looks like a generic low-budget crappy sci-fi movie to me. I see nothing, outside of vague references to DB that would make me think of DB. Sad, because I wanted it to be cool. They really DID get Goku's character wrong... turning him into the basic doubting and unlikely hero. Would it have been so hard to have him be the "Chosen one" and have a confident attitude about it? Part of what is fun about Goku is how he shocks his opponents with his positivity and confidence. Lame.
Agreed on all those counts.
Dayspring wrote:Slightly annoyed by the capsule bike being identical to movie-Transformers' transformation sequences,
Ditto.
Shenron wrote:Seriously, if it wasn't called "Dragonball", I don't think anybody would be interested in this cheesy, banal carbon copy of any standard asian martial arts movie. Looks like a direct-to-DVD movie to me : there is no original idea to be seen in this trailer. And no talent either.
Agreed.

Gotta say, "I'm not ready for this" and the underwhelmingly impressed "...Cool..." make me glad I'm not gonna bother entering a theater for this. The fact that they're playing up this concept of Chatku like some Kung-Fu cross between Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker and Tom Welling's Clark Kent is most obvious in this trailer than any other info release about this movie IMO. Would it really be so hard to work in some lighthearted or semi-comedic elements like that shot we saw of him eating the chicken drum?

The alteration to the origin of the Dragonballs actually doesn't irk me a whole lot, because that at least seems to be a transfer of Roshi's original filler story about 'em to Lunch and Kuririn in the anime. Speaking of Roshi, probably the thing that did impress me most in this trailer was that sequence of him performing Mafuba; done by such a great actor against this promising performance by James Marsters, even hair and lack of a beard can't ruin this shining moment of Roshi's. Although, I'm not really all that impressed with other fighting aspects, as it looks like the slow-mo is probably gonna be overdone to death. Also, is it a good or bad thing that Gohan's gesture at the end gave me a dumbfounded expression, thinking "Is he trying to be Morpheus?".

Above all else in regard to this trailer, I just wish they hadn't tried making it out to look entirely like an action drama, because that's not what original DragonBall was ever about, even in the darkest of times with the Daimao arc and Goku & Jr.'s Budokai fight. The crap going on with "Goku"'s personality overhaul is probably the worse thing that's being done, what's wrong with embracing some of the comedic and more classic elements about the anime & manga, even if subtly campy? But hell, why am I bothering saying what practically all of us know, this movie won't be as much a DragonBall film as it'll be a serious "Epic Heroes of the Universe" movie that the spoofing movie producers could put together.

At least the special effects are getting better, though it's sad an energy blast in a television show like Charmed can impress me more than some of the stuff I saw in this trailer. ;p
SSj Kaboom wrote:And yeah, I'd rather we see a somewhat different take on the story rather than just a live-action reenactment of the manga everyone's read a hundred times over. We're getting a "DragonBall Movieverse," and I like it that way.
That's fine and dandy and all, I just wish the characters could more resemble the folks Akira Toriyama conceived 2 decades ago than these carbon copies of other mainstream action "super heroes".
14 years later

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:58 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Shenron wrote: Looks like a direct-to-DVD movie to me : there is no original idea to be seen in this trailer. And no talent either.

And if it were to be faithful to DragonBall it wouldn't be very original either, since you know, that story has only been told over 20 times :roll:
That's not what I mean.

Being faithful is not only a matter of story. They want to come up with an original plot and make a Dragonball Gaiden ? Fine by me.
But if they don't keep anything from the original media, except the Dragonballs and the names of the characters, what's the point ? At least they could have written a creative scenario, but for now, it doesn't look this way.

See, it's not faithful to the manga, so they couldn't call the movie Dragonball.
Yet, the popularity of the franchise is very interesting, ant it saves up a lot of time to use an existing plot, even remotely , so the movie has to be called Dragonball.

Hum....so we have to call it Dragonball, but in the same time, we can't since we changed almost everything... but without "Dragonball" in the title, people won't give a damn about the movie.... And here comes the "Evolution". Lame.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Blue+Shenron][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Blue+Shenron.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://vanesshenron.deviantart.com/]Deviantart[/url]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:09 pm

Two words, guys: "DragonBall Movieverse."

You're right, it's not "faithful" to or the same as the manga. But it's been been evident from the very beginning, since those very first character blurbs months ago, that it was never meant to be. So why continue to judge and critique it as if it were?

It's DragonBall being told in a new light, in a more modern, sci-fi setting, starring real actor-people, and I think I like it that way. If I want a retelling of the early series that takes new twists while also looking just like the manga, then I own FUNimation's DragonBall MovieBox to watch anytime I like.
deviantART
[thread]

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:23 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Two words, guys: "DragonBall Movieverse."

You're right, it's not "faithful" to or the same as the manga. But it's been been evident from the very beginning, since those very first character blurbs months ago, that it was never meant to be. So why continue to judge and critique it as if it were?

It's DragonBall being told in a new light, in a more modern, sci-fi setting, starring real actor-people, and I think I like it that way. If I want a retelling of the early series that takes new twists while also looking just like the manga, then I own FUNimation's DragonBall MovieBox to watch anytime I like.
I agree.

I wouldn't want to sit down in the cinema, and then say to my self "Wait...I know EXACTLY what is going to happen here...because this is the SAME thing i've seen about 100 times" So i'm glad they've taken the story into a different light.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:26 pm

I find it sad and morbidly amusing that the people who soiled themselves seeing Piccolo destroy a city, and exclaimed so excitedly that they finally got to see something faithful to the original are some of the same people trying to convince everyone that they shouldn't want the movie to seem like the original.