What is your favorite anime Vegeta character design?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:57 pm

Plot hole? Dragon Ball doesn't have any plot holes! None. Zip. Zero. Nada.

If the series had plot holes, why would it be so popular? Why? The answer is: it doesn't. Those are just figments of your imagination. Even though it may seem like a plot hole, the real reason is that the plot is so advanced, that it goes clear over any of our heads. Only superior beings can truly understand Dragon Ball.

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:44 pm

Actually, I quite like the GT movie with Goku Jr. That being said, I hated the GT series (but still find it watchable like all things DB) and I think the super-Saiyan transformation in the movie was weak. I'd like to prefer or pretend or whatever that that part didn't happen. Maybe say he defeats the Mt. Paozu monsters with his super strength, but not via SS. If you do that, it makes the movie better. The movie can even fit in with Z's continuity without GT if you ignore a few minor details. Remember, Gohan still would've had Pan, she wasn't dependant on GT for her existence. Anyways...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:41 pm

Ya I agree. I think it would have been better if he would've just showed a lot of strength, similar to Goku when he was young in Dragonball. I think it would have been a better homage to everything and I also felt it just wasn't believable for him to all of the sudden attain Super Saiyajin. It was so hard for Goku, Vegita, and Gohan, even Mirai Trunks had to work. It was bad enough seeing how easily it came to Goten and Trunks, but for Goku Jr. to attain SSJ with not having done any kind of training, it's just ludicrous. At least even Goten and Trunks did some training!

Judau

Post by Judau » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:49 am

Alias wrote:
Manga Ka Kyo! wrote:And don't mock his mighty mustach!!! It's a symbol of hope and freedom!!! For the moon people! 8)
The moustache is EVIL! EVIL! It must be burned! *starts gathering firewood and gasoline*
Oh the moustache... one of the great GT plot holes... it really is mighty. It was grown on a saiya-jin... its gotta be pretty strong to grow on someone who cannot grow hair.

Anyway, my favorite... probably Android Saga/Cell Game.
http://www.yanime.com

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:32 pm

Err... Saiya-jins can't grow hair?

Wow, I didn't know Nappa was born with a moustache. Or King Vegeta with a beard.

It must have been odd as hell raising such freaky deformed children.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:38 pm

Actually, Saiya-jins can grow hair, it's just the hair on their heads that has a set length and shape that it can reach. Once cut, it simply grows back to its normal self. When Vegeta talked about that in the Cell saga, he was only referring to the hair on his head. Saiya-jins must be able to grow hair elsewhere, since Vegeta's father had it (although, possibly, he might have been born with a full beard ^_^).

Edit: Oops, I didn't see Dai's post above before answering. -_-

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:51 pm

That always makes me wonder, why doesn't Goku ever grow facial hair? I remember in DB that Yamucha was training by himself in the woods, and when he came back he had a lot of stubble. But no matter how long Goku trains or whatever, he never seems to shave.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:44 am

Several possibilities:

1/ Not all Saiyans can grow facial hair. Goku is one of the ones that can't.

2/ Goku always keeps a razor on him, because he'd hate to look messy for a fight.

3/ The animators just keep forgetting.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:46 am

Could be option 1, but it's probably option 3 unfortunately. :wink:

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:49 am

Think about when Vegita went off and trained for that long period of time before the Android saga. I guess he had his bic on him then.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:27 am

Yeah, that's a good point. Bulma makes a point of saying that Vegeta hasn't bathed in almost a year, yet somehow he found the time to shave?

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:58 am

What Bulma said in the Japanese version was simply that he smelled bad, not that he hadn't bathed (though that's likely). When it comes to shaving though, it's possible that they just use a little bit of ki to get rid of stubble. In a drawing Toriyama did of an aging Goku, the poor old guy had a white moustache.

Which reminds me, I've searched for that picture for a long time, anyone know where I can find it?

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:51 pm

The best explanation I can think of is that Sayians don't grow facial hair until they are older, as in, they start growing it later than an adult human male would. For example, Nappa had some, but he was an older Saiyan. We could assume this about King Vegita, too. I dunno. Lol. What a trivial thing to talk about, though. I sure do make use of my time.

Pancakes

Post by Pancakes » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:36 pm

Majin and Epilogue Vegeta are my faves :)

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:47 pm

SonGohan-san wrote:The best explanation I can think of is that Sayians don't grow facial hair until they are older, as in, they start growing it later than an adult human male would. For example, Nappa had some, but he was an older Saiyan. We could assume this about King Vegita, too. I dunno. Lol. What a trivial thing to talk about, though. I sure do make use of my time.
I like this explanation the best. It makes sense to me, and also works for a good number of saiyan fanfic worlds, I think. Hehe.

Anyway, I first started to become infatuated with Vejita when he was on Namek looking for the dragonballs by himself. His pointy nose and sexay widow's peak! Ooh baby!

I think I like his appearance during the Cyborg/Cell saga best, and into the budokai (is it the 26th?) when he submits to the majin (sort of). Really, as long as his widow's peak isn't too freakishly high, he's hot to me. :D

HATE his GT look...but I think it has more something to do with this a-hole in a rival guild online that played Vejita and used the GT version in leather pants or whatever for his char pics. Barf.
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:16 am

Hey, so your the owner of "Lovely Cyborg"! I enjoy your site a lot, especially your sections on your personal thoughts. Anyway, welcome to the boards. So which GT look do you hate more for Vegita? The "moustache and buzzcut look" or the "leather and fingerless gloves" one?

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:30 pm

Ah geez. n_n;;
Not to get off-topic or anything, but why the personal speculations part exactly? It talks a lot about my rp'ing...are you a fellow AOL DBZ person? :D

And as for most hated Vegeta...hmm. I have been lucky not to see too many images of him, but definitely hate the mustache and DEFINITELY hate when his hair is so harshly chopped off. That hair is his trademark! The leather and fingerless gloves isn't so bad. I can almost see it as being cool, but Vegeta doesn't strike me as some leather wearing bad guy...unless of course, Bulma is making him wear it. Friggan Bulma. She's only cool to me in fanfics. :P
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:00 pm

I know I'm alone on this, but I'm kinda fond of Veggie's GT stache. It's just neat to watch all the characters change over time, and w/o it, he'd look pretty damn similar to the way he's always looked, generally speaking. And while I know he had little to do with GT, I always found the mustache to be very in the spirit of something Toriyama would do. Just the irony of putting a goofy look on someone who takes himself so seriously (and he still thinks he looks like a badass or he just stops caring). Watching Z, you'd never expect Vegita to turn into some soft (relatively speaking) father figure who is self-conscious about his looks of all things. The whole Bra scene dealing with it is one of GT's high points. It's just nice to see him not taken so damn seriously, even if I do not really count GT.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Ah geez. n_n;;
Not to get off topic or anything, but why the personal speculations part exactly? It talks a lot about my rp'ing...are you a fellow AOL DBZ person?
No, I'm not an AOL DBZ person, I just found it an interesting read. I find your theories interesting and am in agreement with a lot of them. Plus I just think your stuff is really well-presented and written. Sorry if I've made you feel embarassed or bashful. I'm just really upfront about complimenting people, which normally does embarass most of them. 8)

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:48 pm

I'm not TERRIBLY embarrased, but compliments like that mean a lot. It's REALLY good to know people appreciate my efforts. Truly. So thank you once again. :)

And now, we return this thread to it's scheduled topic.
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."