WORST Fight Ever.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

oponok
Beyond Newbie

WORST Fight Ever.

Post by oponok » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:00 pm

We've all discussed our favorite fights, and will probably continue to till the cows come home. But what fight did you think was the most pointless, random, worst animated, most poorly choreographed, mind-numbing, and/or boring fight(s) in all of Dragonball, whether it be Goku versus Freeza or Piccolo versus 17 or whatever. Unless it's the absolute bane of your existence, think a little harder than "Bulma and octopus thing versus two of Freeza's goons" or black mist-possessed Roshi versus Marron." Try to make it something important. I'd like to say, "avoid talking about GT," but then, that series really did have some awful fights worth mentioning here, didn't it?

Speaking of which, mine would probably be SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta versus Omega Shenron. This seemed like a petty attempt to capture the glory of the Buu saga in, uh, four or five episodes, and just proved to be disapointing at every turn.

Not only did Omega Shenron pale in comparison with Toriyama's original villians, but the fight consisted of that freak, Goku, and Vegeta hitting eachother back and forth, back and forth, back and forth... back and forth. Nevermind what an amazing failure Gogeta was, with his red hair (?!) and fatally questionable fighting methods (the two greatest fighters in the universe and we get this f*cker?).

A few bits of reused animation only made it worse, considering Dragonball and Dragonball Z rarely ever reused animation, ESPECIALLY in an important fight like this. And when Goku headbutted Vegeta out of the way so HE could block Omega's deadly yet generic, lame ass attack, I promply removed the DVD, and backed over it with my trusty blue Taurus (not really, but it would've been funny if I actually made that effort).

Now, don't get the idea that because I post topics like these that I hate Dragonball. On the contrary, Dragonball (Z) is to myself the best anime series there is. It's just that the high points of Dragonball give me such great expectations that I can't help but be disappointed at some silly/stupid things.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:23 pm

GT senshi Vs. 17
Absolutely pointless, and unrealistic. Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Vegeta are reduced to the most generic of fighters, and only served as a lame set up for Goku's battle. This happened a lot in DBZ too, but not as badly as this. Although the actual fight was pretty neat, I couldn't stand how every character was made...well, generic.

Goku & Vegeta Vs. Yi Xing Long
Like you already said, the battle lacked any kind of coregraphy. They just seem to hit each other back and forth for several episodes, without making any kind of impact. (Strangely like in the Freeza saga, where 5 minutes was stretched into 20 episodes). The fact that they threw in Fusion AND the Super Genki Dama at the end proves they had really run out of ideas, since they were just copying the Boo saga badly.

I wanted to avoid "filler" battles if at all possible, since you seemed to be leaning away from that, but this one annoys me to no end.

Goku Vs. Mutiato
During Goku's training at Kami-sama's palace, he's sent back in time to learn under Roshi's old sensei, Mutaito. When Goku challenges him, he's beaten effortlessly by the old man. The only problem with this is...Goku has already killed Piccolo Daimo, an opponent that Mutaito couldn't even scratch. How much sense does that make?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:31 pm

Yes, yes, Goku VS Mutaito was just stupid.

Actually sticking to canon fights, I'd say Goku VS Mummy. Come on, Yamucha is beaten all over the place by this thing, and Goku destroys him with one punch? No, I did not like that battle.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:01 pm

Super 17 vs. Goku

The fight was all-right, but the fact that he was defeated the same way as Piccolo Daimaoh was extremely disappointing... Goku even had the same pose he did in DB.

Bio-Broly movie

Waste of time and money, and degrades the character of Broly, who wasn't too high on my list in the first place!

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:09 pm

Yamcha vs. Olibu and some other guy

The other guy doesn't matter, but I think Pikkon destroyed him in the Kai Tournament, anyway. It goes like this:

Goku and Pikkon go to HFIL. Goku is frightened of Super Perfect Cell as he streaks toward him. Pikkon beats Super Perfect Cell with one kick, and not a hard one, either.

Pikkon later fights Olibu. They are almost EVEN, but Pikkon wins.

Goku, in SSJ (ONE, not two) beats Pikkon after a tough fight.

Later, after Buu kills him, Yamcha (back in fighting clothes and with a different hairstyle, by the way, and after 7 years of inactivity), fights BOTH Olibu and that other guy Pikkon massacred, and after minimal effort, kicks both of them unconscience.

Recap:
Pikkon is much stronger than Super Perfect Cell.
Pikkon is not much stronger than Olibu, so Olibu is stronger than Super Perfect Cell.
SSJ Goku is stronger than Pikkon, so SSJ Goku is stronger than Super Perfect Cell.
Yamcha is MUCH stronger than both Olibu and the other guy.

Therefore, ladies and gentlemen, Buu Saga Yamcha, after seven years of sitting on his arse, is stronger than Super Perfect Cell. The only possible explnation is that Olibu sat on his arse IN A PLACE WHERE EVERYONE TRAINS for seven years and packed on an unimaginable number of unnoticable pounds. Thank you, TOEI!!
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:30 pm

johnboy1 wrote:Goku and Paikuhan go to HFIL.
*eye twitches*...Please tell me you said that as a joke...
Paikuhan later fights Olibu. They are almost EVEN, but Paikuhan wins.
Equal in technique, not in power, as demonstrated when Paikuhan removes his weighted clothing.
Goku, in SSJ (ONE, not two) beats Paikuhan after a tough fight.
That makes absolutely no sense to me either...are they saying Goku is way stronger than Cell now? In regular SSJ no less?

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:32 pm

I was raised on the dub. The names are embedded in my skull. I don't even know how to spell Kikô-hô.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:34 pm

You poor, poor boy.

Somebody get this guy some subs, quick!

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:37 pm

One of the worst examples of filler I've ever seen was Dr. Gero vs Kuririn. This takes place while everyone is searching for Dr. Gero's hidden lab. Kuririn is doing that searching thang when Gero attacks him for no apparent reason and spends a few minutes beating the crap out of him.

Now, it's not as if this is illogical on the basis of power, because Gero, having both his own and Yamcha's energy, would probably be stronger than Kuririn. What's dumb and annoying is the fact that Gero, who is trying to get to his lab as quickly as possible, decided to spend a few moments beating on a bald midget. You'd think that one of the others could've noticed a sudden fluctuation in Kuririn's ki, or that he might've gotten out the message that Gero was smacking down on him, et cetera, et cetera...

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:10 pm

Anything in the Garlic Jr. Saga.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:12 pm

Oddly enough, I found the segment where 'Evil' Piccolo beats the crap out of Gohan with several techniques that he never, ever uses again quite entertaining!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:53 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:That makes absolutely no sense to me either...are they saying Goku is way stronger than Cell now? In regular SSJ no less?
It's not as bad as saying that Goku, in the body of a child, with his power reduced, and in his normal form is stronger than Cell and Freeza combined.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:17 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:You poor, poor boy.

Somebody get this guy some subs, quick!
Or uncut dub where they refer to Hell as Hell. Or he should stick to edited Buu saga where they said "down below".

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:48 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:Goku, in SSJ (ONE, not two) beats Paikuhan after a tough fight.
That makes absolutely no sense to me either...are they saying Goku is way stronger than Cell now? In regular SSJ no less?
Actually, if you watch the course of that match Goku's getting his ass kicked and Pikkon's still fresh. Goku only won because of the Warp Kamehameha he used. Pikkon didn't have the chance to block it and it hit him dead on with no defenses. If that last Thunder Flash had hit him Goku would have been out for the count.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:36 am

I agree the fight with Bio Brolly in the 11th movie was just bad and boring. I don't know what was going through Toei's mind when they decided to make a movie that featured only Chibi Trunks and Goten, #18, and Kuririn fighting against a gelatinous blob Brolly DNA. And, throwing in Goku for 30 seconds at the end doesn't make up for the rest of the film.

And yes I'm going to also mention that Buruma against the crab scene! That whole episode is just one long torture and a perfect example of how bad filler can be. >_<
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:49 am

Xyex wrote:Actually, if you watch the course of that match Goku's getting his ass kicked and Paikuhan's still fresh. Goku only won because of the Warp Kamehameha he used. Paikuhan didn't have the chance to block it and it hit him dead on with no defenses. If that last Thunder Flash had hit him Goku would have been out for the count.
If that's the case though, it doesn't explain why Goku lasted even one punch against Puikuhan, since Cell was defeated with one hit. It's impossible for Goku's regular SSJ power to exceed Cell's, yet he kept up with Puikuhan after his 'power-up' by removing his weighted clothes.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:29 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:It's impossible for Goku's regular SSJ power to exceed Cell's
Er, why?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:25 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:
Xyex wrote:Actually, if you watch the course of that match Goku's getting his ass kicked and Paikuhan's still fresh. Goku only won because of the Warp Kamehameha he used. Paikuhan didn't have the chance to block it and it hit him dead on with no defenses. If that last Thunder Flash had hit him Goku would have been out for the count.
If that's the case though, it doesn't explain why Goku lasted even one punch against Puikuhan, since Cell was defeated with one hit. It's impossible for Goku's regular SSJ power to exceed Cell's, yet he kept up with Puikuhan after his 'power-up' by removing his weighted clothes.
My reasoning here to try and have this scene make sense, is that Cell was focused on Pikkon. That blow that nailed him from Pikkon was a complete and total suprise attack, the same idea as Goku's Warp Kamehameha. I think Olibu's power is a bit smaller than that of Goku's base so Pikkon's power with the weights is close to Goku's base.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:40 pm

Mr. Satan Vs 18 vs Mighty Mask Vs some random guy

Anything with Mr. Satan period I hate, come on, Vegeta should of just killed him the indignity of how the man portrayed the prince of all Saiyans.

Only good thing to come out of Mr. satan was videl and Gohan's got her.
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Ya I like cat people so what?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:44 pm

I admit that Satan was rather irritating during the tournament with Cell, but at that point, things were so serious that Toriyama needed to add some form of comic relief to give the audience a break from the tension a bit. After that though I think Satan's scenes are really entertaining. Especially all that business with Majin Buu when he goes to try and kill him and ends up becoming his servant and friend! Those scenes are some of my favourite parts of the Buu saga.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."