Funniest Moment in DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:42 pm

I do agree somewhat with you Alias that Roshi is perverted like that, but you have to also admit that Buruma wasn't exactly "Miss Morals" herself with him when they first met. She was of course shocked when he asked to see her panties in exchange for the dragonball, but then she rationalized the act and still willingly did it. I don't care how badly I wanted the dragonballs, there's no way I would do that. And then it really backfired on her because she later realized that she was naked underneath thanks to Goku. But hey, it's her own fault! :D (By the way, I think this scene is another really funny moment!) There other incidences too where she's used her sexuality, such as with General Blue, which,(heh heh), also backfired. Buruma can't then expect to have it both ways.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:07 pm

What about if the Dragonballs were the only way of saving the whole world? Would you do it then? Eh?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:22 pm

I knew someone would call me up on that! :wink: No, I still wouldn't, but I still would need to save the world, so quite frankly, I'd just punch Roshi out, (he'd deserve it anyway after making that request), and take the dragonball. And if I couldn't punch him out, I'd just trick Goku into doing it! Ha ha ha, problem solved! :D

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:38 am

Selfish cow.

Besides, by the time Goku understood what he was suppossed to do, the world would have been destroyed ten times over.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:52 am

Are you kidding? All you'd have to do is tell Goku that Roshi is either destroying forests or that he just stole Goku's four-star ball and he'd leap over and kick him in the head. See, simple! You just have to know what will make Goku go for someone. And I don't think I'm being selfish. I like to look at my method as myself winning, the world winning, and giving Goku some exercise! Now really, how is that selfish I ask you? :wink: Or you could make it simple by dressing up as a teenage girl and taking over in my place! :P After all, why should females make all the sacrificies? :D

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:53 am

Doesn't matter if Bulma wasn't Miss Morals, she was still only 16. At that age, she wasn't completely responsible for her actions since she was just a kid. With Blue it was different than it was with Kamesennin, since he wasn't interested in her at all. As for the 'humor,' Toriyama could've just had Kamesennin be slightly lecherous, he didn't have to make the bugger the model for sex offenders.

And what's with this prevalent idea that girls should show their panties, flirt, etc... to "save the world"? Would Vegeta have been expected to take off his clothes and flirt with Juuhachigou? If he refused, would that make him a "selfish cow"? One sec... bad mental image coming to mind... -_-

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:38 am

That's exactly what I meant when I suggested Pysliam should take my place! :D How come women always have to undermine their values and dignity? Okay, so Vegita did have to undermine his dignity to become Gogeta in movie 12, but it's still not the same. And the reason Blue wasn't interested in Buruma's advances was because let's face it, the guy's flaming gay. And as I said before, Alias, I do agree with you completely that Roshi shouldn't be at 16 year-old girls and that it is twisted, and Roshi deserves to be hit over the head by Chi-Chi every time he tries his groping. But I'm afraid Toriyama isn't alone in this kind of humour. Unfortunately one of the one things I wish Japanese males would get over and evolve out of is their "Lolita Complex" problem. I know it's not all Japanese males, but the sexualizing of adolescent girls in Japan is pretty prevalent, not just in anime. I like to think of myself as very open-minded when it comes to differences in culture, and I definitely don't have a problem with tolerating Asian's cultures more bawdy humour to things, but there are of course, points where I draw the line. And definitely the "Lolita Complex" is one of them. Now as to my point about Buruma, when I was 16, yes, there were a lot of things I didn't know, but trust me, at that age, I definitely knew that flashing my panties wasn't exactly the classiest and smartest thing to do, to put it mildly! In the manga when Buruma's asked she says, quote:"Well...I guess...If it's only my panties...". On top of that, when she gets the dragonball and Roshi reconsiders giving it to her, she enthusiastically throws her nightgown up again to further convince him. She knows exactly what she's doing just based on that. No, that certainly doesn't make it alright for Roshi to go after her, I'm just pointing this out because I disagree that she wasn't responsible for her actions. If she was 10 years old, my opinion would be totally different. Of course, that would make Roshi an even sicker pervert. :?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Let's not forget that Buruma also tried to bribe Gokuu by flashing her panties to him. Sure, 16 is a fairly young age overall, but I'd hardly consider her an innocent child. She was a rather clever and mature girl. That doesn't necessarily make Kamesennin's actions "okay", but he didn't force her to do anything.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:55 pm

Whoa, you people are taking this WAY too seriously.. Kame Sen'nin's pervertedness is just one big joke.. Not to mention he's a comic book character. Besides, PsyLiam was just making a few sarcastic comments. He wasn't saying anything like ''Women have to take off their clothes if they want to save the world, not men!!''.

Right, Liam? For the love of God, say yes!!
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:46 pm

I think Kamesennin and Oolong's pervertedness is pretty funny. I mean, if you try to think about it in a real life sense, some of the stuff they do/try to do is really abnormal and bad... But they're not real, and, in fact, they're mostly harmless. They get beaten up or bonked over the head most of the time they try things anyway. About the only time Kamesennin was "successful" was the beach flashing scene, but I think Buruma wasn't much better for consenting. (If he had asked Chichi or the good Lunch to do something like that, it would be a different story...)

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:37 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:But I'm afraid Toriyama isn't alone in this kind of humour. Unfortunately one of the one things I wish Japanese males would get over and evolve out of is their "Lolita Complex" problem. I know it's not all Japanese males, but the sexualizing of adolescent girls in Japan is pretty prevalent, not just in anime. I like to think of myself as very open-minded when it comes to differences in culture, and I definitely don't have a problem with tolerating Asian's cultures more bawdy humour to things, but there are of course, points where I draw the line. And definitely the "Lolita Complex" is one of them. Now as to my point about Buruma, when I was 16, yes, there were a lot of things I didn't know, but trust me, at that age, I definitely knew that flashing my panties wasn't exactly the classiest and smartest thing to do, to put it mildly! In the manga when Buruma's asked she says, quote:"Well...I guess...If it's only my panties...". On top of that, when she gets the dragonball and Roshi reconsiders giving it to her, she enthusiastically throws her nightgown up again to further convince him. She knows exactly what she's doing just based on that. No, that certainly doesn't make it alright for Roshi to go after her, I'm just pointing this out because I disagree that she wasn't responsible for her actions. If she was 10 years old, my opinion would be totally different. Of course, that would make Roshi an even sicker pervert. :?
I've had the same feelings about the "Lolita Complex" as you, that's the one thing I've hated most about Japanese culture. In survey in Japan about three years ago, 3 out of 4 high school girls said that they had been offered money for sex. Ick.

As for Bulma, I still disagree with you. A girl of 16, regardless of what game she plays at, is still too young to be expected to be as responsible for her actions as an adult would be. Bulma was a vain, somewhat ditzy girl whose parents let her do whatever she wanted. Keep in mind, she didn't want to let Kamesennin see her panties, nor did she make the offer. She was being an idiot. Bulma at the age of 16 somehow had gotten the idea in her head that she could use her sexuality to get what she wanted, rather than her head. A shame, but not one that she was responsible for.
TripleRach wrote:That doesn't necessarily make Kamesennin's actions "okay", but he didn't force her to do anything.
Doesn't matter if he didn't force her to do it. He was an adult, and she was still just a kid.
Dai wrote:Kame Sen'nin's pervertedness is just one big joke..
Not when it involves children. -_-

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:08 pm

IT'S. A. COMIC.

Seriously, lighten up... Nothing in it is supposed to be serious. Looking and examining morals in a comic book is just too dang freaky.

You're taking it all way too seriously, if you pardon me saying..

Not to mention Kame Sen'nin never came on to kids. I mean, hell, Toriyama might be freaky, but he ain't that freaky!
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:00 pm

I agree with Dai. You can be as open-minded as you like about the different culture thing, but once you "draw the line" simply because you don't like an aspect of their culture: then you start being CLOSED-minded.

IT'S COMEDY BY THEIR STANDARDS. This "lolita complex" you speak of doesn't even apply in all the US states since she's at least 16, let alone in Japan. If it's too big of a cultural difference for you, too bad. Toriyama was writing a joke that would be funny by HIS culture's standards, not yours.

Lastly: STOP ARGUING IF YOU BOTH AGREE ON THE MATTER!! :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:36 pm

Alias wrote:Bulma at the age of 16 somehow had gotten the idea in her head that she could use her sexuality to get what she wanted, rather than her head. A shame, but not one that she was responsible for.
Why isn't she responsible for it? Are you saying that the personality of someone aged 16 is completely the result of other people, and they aren't responsible at all for how they act?

The society of Japan, the UK, and (most) of the US says that it's okay for someone to have sex at 16. As pointed out, it's not like he was coming on to a 10 year old.

It would have been a bit creapier if he had been 30, in many ways. But because he was so old, and had NO chance at all to get his way, humour is created from his pathetic attempts to woo women.

I wonder if Brock from Pokemon will grow up like him?
Dai wrote:Besides, PsyLiam was just making a few sarcastic comments. He wasn't saying anything like ''Women have to take off their clothes if they want to save the world, not men!!''.

Right, Liam? For the love of God, say yes!!
Yes. Although if they WILL insist on wearing mini-skirts, then they shouldn't be surprised if they are asked to flash in order to protect the Earth. In fact, they should expect it. Yes.

I wonder if that line will work in real life...
Last edited by PsyLiam on Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:12 pm

Dayspring wrote:I agree with Dai. You can be as open-minded as you like about the different culture thing, but once you "draw the line" simply because you don't like an aspect of their culture: then you start being CLOSED-minded.

IT'S COMEDY BY THEIR STANDARDS. This "lolita complex" you speak of doesn't even apply in all the US states since she's at least 16, let alone in Japan. If it's too big of a cultural difference for you, too bad. Toriyama was writing a joke that would be funny by HIS culture's standards, not yours.

Lastly: STOP ARGUING IF YOU BOTH AGREE ON THE MATTER!! :?
How does disagreeing with another culture's morals make you close-minded? I hardly think that everyone should agree with every aspect of another culture simply because it's their 'culture.' Whether it's legal or not doesn't determine whether it's morally right.

Um... we didn't completely agree on the matter, in case you didn't notice. We still disagreed about Bulma's actions.
Dai wrote:Not to mention Kame Sen'nin never came on to kids. I mean, hell, Toriyama might be freaky, but he ain't that freaky!
I guess you've forgotten Oolong kidnapping those little girls from the village? ~_-
PsyLiam wrote:Why isn't she responsible for it? Are you saying that the personality of someone aged 16 is completely the result of other people, and they aren't responsible at all for how they act?

Yes. Although if they WILL insist on wearing mini-skirts, then they shouldn't be surprised if they are asked to flash in order to protect the Earth. In fact, they should expect it. Yes.
I'm not saying that a person at 16 isn't responsible for anything, nor did I say that their actions are completely the result of other people. In certain situations however, that doesn't apply. There's a reason that there's such a thing as statutory rape. Even if the girl (which includes those at 16 for most states) is willing, the man is not supposed to be.

As for you second paragraph, I don't think I even need to comment on that one.

johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:11 pm

After long, extensive thought, the funniest moment for me was in the movie Dead Zone. It was in the beginning when Gohan was greeting the Ox-King and he screams and gets kidnapped. The funny part: It cuts to the water and you see Goku's head pop up and he jumps out of the water butt-naked. Just seeing him haul ass naked with a huge fish on the side of his shoulder was hilarious.

Also, seeing Vegeta's sour-puss face scrunch up when he gets mad.

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:04 am

Just out of curiousity Alias, what else do you find funny about Kame-sennin besides his pervertedness? That seems to the main source in the character's comic relief. For examples of this, watch the cartoon network Dragon Ball (w/o all the sex stuff) and give me an instance in which you laughed at the guy.

Another thing, why is everyone acting as if Toriyama or Japan for that matter is endorsing pedaphilia (I know I spelled that wrong)? Of course it's absurd that Roshi is soooo perverted. I may be outta line here, but the Dragon Ball characters are not exactly the most multifaceted character's I've ever seen developed. All sorta have a gimmick that is greatly exaggerated/augmented. One has pride. One just loves to fight strong oppenents. One wants revenge. One wants to be a scholar. etc. I think it would be creepier or more eery if his pervertedness wasn't exaggerated in this comical sorta way.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:45 am

SonGohan-san wrote:
For examples of this, watch the cartoon network Dragonball (w/o all the sex stuff) and give me an instance in which you laughed at that guy.
Your comment reminds me of a Roshi scene that always find funny, but it has to do with the rewrite for the dubbed, edited version of DB. Remember when Goku had promised Roshi that in exchange for putting out the fire on Mt. Frypan he could look at Buruma's bra and then she had Oolong transform as her and go in her place, except for fun, he asked him if he'd like to see his actual breasts instead? I remember in the edited dub version, the agreement is that Buruma will get him a date with an older woman! That isn't actually the funniest part though. It's how they handled the scene with Oolong that makes me laugh. The dub has Oolong suggest to Roshi that instead of a date with an older woman, he should go out with her! And then Roshi actually says, "Uh, you're a little young."! Oh, the irony of it!! :lol: That would be Roshi's dream come true!!! I still laugh at that whenever I see that edited episode! :D

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:12 am

Heh, that's pretty good. He probably said it with that "good ole" boy voice that Funi gave him too. Not all of Funi's VAs bother me, incidentally.

Oh, another Kame-sennin moment was when he was riding off on Kame or turtle after Bulma exposed herself and he thought, "I should have brought my camera."

I can't remember what the dub had him say at the part. I know the Ocean dub for sure didn't as much as bring a smile to my face. So, w/o his pervertness, he, to me, just isn't the same old side splitting Kame-sennin.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:50 am

Actually, I've thought of another funny moment, and it even involves a piece of non-perverted humour from the Turtle Hermit.

Right after General Blue leaves the bomb at Kame house, Bulma pops up with "If you untie me, I'll join the Red Ribbon Army!". Kuririn shouts at her for having no shame, and Blue comments that they don't need women in the army. At which point, Roshi shouts out "What about me? I'll join!"

Brilliant selfish behaviour from our flawed heroes. Gotta love them all.