Opinions of Schemmel?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
Locked
Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:54 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Does something necessarily have to be in your language for you to enjoy it at all?

I mean, take your favorite song and pretend for argument's sake that it is in a foreign language. Now, I come in and dub the lyrics in English but I just speak them in sync to the music. No emotion in my voice, no interest, but perfectly in time. Wouldn't you still like the foreign version better? Or would you simply default to "Oh, I can understand this therefore I like it more."

And no, I'm not saying DragonBall Z has no emotion in English, etc. I'm simply trying to make a point that Japanese doesn't always equal bad simply because you're not fluent.
No! I mean don't get me wrong now. I can still watch something in another language with NO subtitles and still enjoy it. I saw the Japanese version of Advent Children with no subtitles and I enjoyed it greatly. To me all the Voice Actors sounded right for their characters but I couldn't say they acted well or not because I didn't understand what they were saying. I just don't think the average person could watch oh say...The new Dragon Ball special in Japanese and walk away going "Oh wow the special had some AMAZING voice actors. Please don't think of me as one of those people that are all like "Oh I can't understand it so I don't like it." I'm totally not trying to come off like that.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3149
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Please don't think of me as one of those people that are all like "Oh I can't understand it so I don't like it." I'm totally not trying to come off like that.
It's cool, sorry if I came off as rough. How do you determine if someone's performance is good or not, typically? I'm just trying to figure out how the language barrier would inhibit it.

-Corey

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:It's cool, sorry if I came off as rough. How do you determine if someone's performance is good or not, typically? I'm just trying to figure out how the language barrier would inhibit it.
Like I'll watch a show like Cowboy Bebop in English and really get into it. That show has a superb cast and all the actors are amazing to me. They really sound convincing. Like in the movie when Spike fought Vincent. They REALLY sounded like they were having a fight! Then I'll watch the Japanese version and just get bored. They just don't reach me. When I watch Dragon Ball the most the Japanese cast reaches me when is when they're fighting and yelling. Take the episode where Cell fires that large Kamehameha at Gohan (the first time). Norio Wakamoto sounded EXTREMELY pissed and I liked that. If I listen to the show in Japanese to me there all just talking in Japanese. I really don't watch and say "Woah he is giving an excellent performance." I'm sure they are all VERY good actors but I just don't look at it like that.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

User avatar
JAPPO
I Live Here
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:03 am

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:07 pm

For me I have to feel like they are the character... when I watch the Japanese VERSION and listen to Goku... it feels wrong.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

User avatar
Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 2653
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 am
Location: Australia, Planet Earth

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:32 pm

JAPPO wrote:For me I have to feel like they are the character... when I watch the Japanese VERSION and listen to Goku... it feels wrong.
To be fair, what FUNimation are presenting and who Goku is in the original aren't really the same. He's not really a hick and a lot of his innocence and naivety are done away with in favour of a more conventional super hero type personality.

Being introduced to the show via the dub, I know how each character performs, so when I say I think Sabat sounded awful in the UUE redub, it's because I sat down and actually watched it, I don't bash the dub because I'm some elitist Japanophile, I bash it because I think it's fucking horrible.

User avatar
Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Post by Satan-Sama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:30 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Satan-Sama wrote:Although DBHighDef may have been kidding, characters voiced by Masako Nozawa sound very very similar.
Sure, they sound similar... they're also part of the same family (while that can easily be seen as an "excuse" from "my side", you have to admit it at least makes some amount of sense). Additionally, Gohan speaks completely differently than Goku, even if the "voice" sounds the same.
Yes, it makes perfect sense. I am just making a counter-argument to those who claim all of Sabat's voices sound the "same."

Sure many of Sabat's voices tend to be deep voiced characters, but considering how many voices the guy has done I think he has done a damn good job differentiating the characters' voices. And not every single character has the gruff sounding raspy voice (Jeice and Recoome come to mind as characters who do not have overly raspy voices.) To say it's hard to tell the difference in his characters is completely ridiculous. Do you seriously have a hard time differentiating Guru's voice and Recoome? I don't think the man gets enough credit.

User avatar
JAPPO
I Live Here
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:03 am

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:32 pm

I had no idea he did recoome.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

User avatar
NeptuneKai
I Live Here
Posts: 3576
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 pm

Satan-Sama wrote:
Do you seriously have a hard time differentiating Guru's voice and Recoome? I don't think the man gets enough credit.
No but they are both equally terrible.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

User avatar
Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Post by Satan-Sama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:46 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Satan-Sama wrote:
Do you seriously have a hard time differentiating Guru's voice and Recoome? I don't think the man gets enough credit.
No but they are both equally terrible.
Recoome's voice is a bit too over the top for my liking, but Guru's voice I don't have a single thing wrong with.

User avatar
NeptuneKai
I Live Here
Posts: 3576
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Satan-Sama wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Satan-Sama wrote:
Do you seriously have a hard time differentiating Guru's voice and Recoome? I don't think the man gets enough credit.
No but they are both equally terrible.
Recoome's voice is a bit too over the top for my liking, but Guru's voice I don't have a single thing wrong with.
The voice itself is fine I suppose but Sabat's acting doesn't help much. He loves to over exaggerate every line he has in Dragonball IMO.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:01 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:The voice itself is fine I suppose but Sabat's acting doesn't help much. He loves to over exaggerate every line he has in Dragonball IMO.
Have any of the voice actors in the original over exaggerated some of their lines?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

User avatar
NeptuneKai
I Live Here
Posts: 3576
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:The voice itself is fine I suppose but Sabat's acting doesn't help much. He loves to over exaggerate every line he has in Dragonball IMO.
Have any of the voice actors in the original over exaggerated some of their lines?
Yes but Sabat...hell MOST of the dub cast do it in every episode.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:22 pm

So would it be safe for me to assume that the majority of the users on this forum believe that Ms. Nozawa is a superior voice actor in comparison to Mr. Schemmel?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

User avatar
jda95
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:51 am
Location: 神様の神殿
Contact:

Post by jda95 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:24 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:So would it be safe for me to assume that the majority of the users on this forum believe that Ms. Nozawa is a superior voice actor in comparison to Mr. Schemmel?
Yeah.

User avatar
Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:28 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Post by Mr. Announcer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:31 pm

I would think so. Regardless of the discussion of how "fitting" the voice is, Nozawa was formally trained in theater acting and already had like a bajillion years of experience in voice acting before she ever performed Gokuh. Schemmel was trained in music, and DBZ was his first voice acting experience.
Last edited by Mr. Announcer on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

User avatar
Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 2653
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 am
Location: Australia, Planet Earth

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:So would it be safe for me to assume that the majority of the users on this forum believe that Ms. Nozawa is a superior voice actor in comparison to Mr. Schemmel?
Masako Nozawa was chosen by Toriyama himself, she is Goku.

Everyone else to me is just an imitation, if I had to pick an English Goku, it would be MasakoX from DBZ Abridged, he does an absolutely phenomenal job.

User avatar
NeptuneKai
I Live Here
Posts: 3576
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:34 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:if I had to pick an English Goku, it would be MasakoX from DBZ Abridged, he does an absolutely phenomenal job.
This right here! MasakoX is ten times the voice actor Sean was when he started.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15309
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:36 pm

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to hearing MasakoX's kaio-ken. :3

*Hopes valiantly that Abridged makes an update soon*.
On hiatus.

User avatar
jda95
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:51 am
Location: 神様の神殿
Contact:

Post by jda95 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:36 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:if I had to pick an English Goku, it would be MasakoX from DBZ Abridged, he does an absolutely phenomenal job.
This right here! MasakoX is ten times the voice actor Sean was when he started.
Why is everyone obsessed with MasakoX? He does a pretty good job, but probably isn't good enough for the whole series.....

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18958
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Here's the fun thing about life: you don't have to watch the dub.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

Locked