Funniest DB moment

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:05 pm

Goku's screaming after hitting the lava during his fight with Frieza was funny. "Aah! My butt's on fire! My butt's on fire!"

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:25 am

Super Sonic wrote:Goku's screaming after hitting the lava during his fight with Freeza was funny. "Aah! My butt's on fire! My butt's on fire!"
At the risk of making this sound dirtier than it really should, Goku seems to do a lot of screaming when something happens to his butt.. *thinking of movie 2, when he fell on the ice*

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:17 pm

Perhaps the greatest moment in all of English dub or Japanese Dragonball history dates back to when Cell first reached perfection in the dub. His first act, of course, is to take out his least greatest threat, Krillin, but not before he shouts, "Hoo-hah!" when kicking the poor midget into next week.

I wish he said it in Budoukai whenever he did that kick...
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:36 am

Thanks to the Budokai games, I have only recently heard the FUNi version of Cell's perfect voice. It's weird; the Ocean Group and FUNi voices for his Imperfect form are quite similar, but the Perfect version...woah.

Still, it does prove that if you want to make your villian supremely, totally evil, you either have to:

1/ Give him an eyepatch, or
2/ Make him British.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:56 am

British? o_O I thought Perfect Cell sounded sophisticated, but I don't know about British...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:47 pm

PsyLiam wrote: Still, it does prove that if you want to make your villian supremely, totally evil, you either have to:

1/ Give him an eyepatch, or
2/ Make him British.
Which is why I say if they made a live action movie, Frieza should be voiced by Tim Curry or Gary Oldman.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:52 pm

Or Mike Myers. He has the hand mannerisms down pat.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:24 am

Well, the problem is that there isn't a great way in American English to express the fact that Freeza and Cell think of themselves as so completely superior to everyone else the same way you can in Japanese. You know, except tailoring the dialogue towards it, but THAT takes effort. So instead you go for the best quasi-Brittish voice you can find in Texas! Or barring that, get your Mom to do the part!

Ugh, I know Funi-bashing is outdated, but it is annoying how they can be so incredibly lazy about some stuff.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:36 pm

It seems like they're only lazy on the three DB series. All their other stuff ROCKS!

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:49 pm

I'm glad I put off listing my funniest moment until now, because I just saw it.

The scene where Piccolo wakes Trunks and Goten out of bed so they can practise the Fusion technique, but instead they go to bed.

Then Piccolo used his...CLAP OF THUNDER TECHNIQUE. They pretended the sound of Piccolo punching them was really clapping. Most hilarious censorship ever. :lol: [/i]

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:07 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I'm glad I put off listing my funniest moment until now, because I just saw it.

The scene where Piccolo wakes Trunks and Goten out of bed so they can practise the Fusion technique, but instead they go to bed.

Then Piccolo used his...CLAP OF THUNDER TECHNIQUE. They pretended the sound of Piccolo punching them was really clapping. Most hilarious censorship ever. :lol: [/i]
We have a winner!

I wonder how I missed that, seeing as how that's the arc I most recently viewed. Maybe it wasn't on the uncut dub?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:30 pm

It wouldn't have been, since the uncut dub uses exactly the same video as the Japanese version. Therefore Piccolo would have given them a nice big slap, just like he did in the original.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:33 pm

It was on the TV version for Canada, which is a little different than the one shown in the US. Mostly because they used a different set of voice actors, and edited as they saw fit.

Clap of Thunder...that shall go down in history, along with Doore's Can Opener attack. 8)

Goku Jr
Banned

Post by Goku Jr » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:32 pm

To me the funniest momment in DB was in the 10th anniversary movie when Yamcha comes to the rescue of trying to punch general blue from the red ribbon army but then yamcha stares at bulma for a while which gives blue perfect time to punch him straight in the face indeed blue does knock yamcha's teeth out. LOL it has a pretty funny song to it too.

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:57 pm

1. Goku: Are we finally starting the training?
(Kame Sen'nin examining unconcious Lunch)
KSn: Oh ... oh... yeah... right!! The training!!

2. see signiture!

3. Vegeta in pink and threatens those who laugh at him!
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:48 pm

Oh yah...the whole "panchii-panchi" thing...mmm...Well, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but in the Viz comic, I think Volume 7 of DB, a Red Ribbon soldier holds a gun to Lunch's head, and Kame sennin remarks "Shoot! I mean, darn!"
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.