DBE Trailer on Hotel For Dogs: Surprising Reaction.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:08 pm

As we all know and have argued over it ad nauseam, they are reimagining the story so they could just leave out any parts of the Freeza or any other Saga that would tamper with the rating.
JAPPO wrote:ZOMG DBZ IS NOT FOR KIDS IT'S FOR GROWN UPS. GAWL.

On a serious note, I'm glad people outside the Internet are enjoying the trailer.
I agree, it is good to see that little kids are not as anal as some adults.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:As we all know and have argued over it ad nauseam, they are reimagining the story so they could just leave out any parts of the Freeza or any other Saga that would tamper with the rating.
JAPPO wrote:ZOMG DBZ IS NOT FOR KIDS IT'S FOR GROWN UPS. GAWL.

On a serious note, I'm glad people outside the Internet are enjoying the trailer.
I agree, it is good to see that little kids are not as anal as some adults.
Now that must have been some kind of innuendo. :P
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:44 pm

jda95 wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:
MisterFlashdude wrote:I asked which shows most of them were actually watching, which were Naruto and Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Please, for the love of God, no.
Is it just me or is Avatar a complete ripoff of Naruto? I haven't seen much of Avatar, so please don't flame me.
Actually, it's more like this:

Lord of the Rings + Star Wars + Dragonball = Avatar

The show flows in no way similar to the overall course of Naruto up to the point that it's been published in Japan. Also, the closest thing to a Ninja in that show is the Blue Spirit and those pirates with Ninja weapons. To me, the show feels a lot more like Dragonball and has at least a couple more-than-obvious nods to it toward the end of the series.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Kendamu wrote:
jda95 wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote: Please, for the love of God, no.
Is it just me or is Avatar a complete ripoff of Naruto? I haven't seen much of Avatar, so please don't flame me.

The show flows in no way similar to the overall course of Naruto up to the point that it's been published in Japan. Also, the closest thing to a Ninja in that show is the Blue Spirit and those pirates with Ninja weapons. To me, the show feels a lot more like Dragonball and has at least a couple more-than-obvious nods to it toward the end of the series.
...Like what? I've watched and enjoyed the whole series, and I've never seen anything I'd consider like that...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Kendamu wrote:
jda95 wrote:

Oh yeah, Aang and Zuko's fusionless fusion dance. XD

I enjoy Avatar; I've only seen about 3/4ths of it, but I can definitely say I like Avatar a lot more than Naruto.

Avatar's writers know how to balance the fun with the angst.
Naruto's ALL about the angst. No one's allowed to have fun ever on that series.

I don't know how much of Avatar was pulled from DB (I know that some of the designs were pulled a bit from FLCL's art style) but it does feel like a shounen series.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:...Like what? I've watched and enjoyed the whole series, and I've never seen anything I'd consider like that...
At 0:39 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTE1k7xjrCE

Also, the very last fight was very Dragonball-esque.
Last edited by Kendamu on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Kendamu wrote:The show flows in no way similar to the overall course of Naruto up to the point that it's been published in Japan. Also, the closest thing to a Ninja in that show is the Blue Spirit and those pirates with Ninja weapons. To me, the show feels a lot more like Dragonball and has at least a couple more-than-obvious nods to it toward the end of the series.
I suppose Ty Lee's chi blocking pressure points are similar to the uh...Hinata's family in Naruto. But it's not like Naruto invented the idea of chi pathways.

Edit: Ahh, the Dancing Dragon form. I don't think anyone saw that and didn't say, "OMG THEY GONNA FUSE!"

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:09 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:
Hey, man. Avatar is a great cartoon. If it weren't for Avatar, I wouldn't have got back into Dragon Ball.
I was mainly directing it at the...N word. :P
I hate to break it to you but Naruto is DBZ's successor

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:19 pm

In the U.S. Not in Japan though.
Japan's Dragon Ball successor is One Piece.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... mber-22-28
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... mber-15-21
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ember-8-14

And http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ng-no.1-25

Also, I'd like to point out Cross Epoch: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=9021

As far as I know, Mr. Toriyama and Kishimoto have never collaborated on any manga together.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote: Hey, man. Avatar is a great cartoon. If it weren't for Avatar, I wouldn't have got back into Dragon Ball.
I was mainly directing it at the...N word. :P
I hate to break it to you but Naruto is DBZ's successor
In America maybe, but not in the rest of the world eyes. :P
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:33 pm

I also forgot to mention those two animations where Dragon Ball and One Piece crossed over. (You know those ones that took up multiple screens; I think Kochikame and Astro Boy were in them too).

And the figurines of Goku and Luffy in each other's clothing along with the general DB/OP crossover figures and toys.

And that overpriced play-tv style game that came out recently.

Oh! The puzzles too. And the Chopper-dressed-as-different-db-characters toys. :mrgreen:
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:I hate to break it to you but Naruto is DBZ's successor
I always thought that One Piece did a better job in carrying on the light-hearted spirit of Dragonball, and I could imagine Luffy being the reincarnation of Goku.
On the other hand, Naruto's author more clearly emulated Dragonball, right down to Naruto's original color scheme. The reliance on training sessions, time skips, tournaments, enemies turned to allies... It's all very Dragonball.

More the point, I think there's a reason these three series came together for a D.O.N combo. They're cut from the same cloth. That there's so much animosity for Naruto on a Dragonball forum sincerely surprises me. o_O

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Truthfully, I do not get One Piece and I think Naruto is a much better successor since it seems like a mature Dragonball. One Piece just seems like a wet dream Kakarrot would have.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:48 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Truthfully, I do not get One Piece and I think Naruto is a much better successor since it seems like a mature Dragonball. One Piece just seems like a wet dream Kakarrot would have.
I humbly disagree, Professor. Naruto suffers from similar problems to Dragon Ball, but cranked up x10. More filler, more standing around explaining the fight than there is actual fighting, more training arcs than actual conflict. It was a good show up until the end of the first exam (which was just a rehash of Hunter x Hunter to be honest, but totally missing the point), but after that...I don't know.

One Piece, however, suffers from none of them. It's all the adventure, no breaks for training, way less explaining and flash backs, etc. If you ask me, One Piece and Hunter x Hunter are the best shounen made in that regard.

RyujiOtogi

Post by RyujiOtogi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 am

...In my opinion, Naruto is much, much better than the Avatar. I like One Piece a lot, as it is one of my favorite shows. But I think people certainly exaggerate the flaws in Naruto, and a lot of the hate for it on this forum is very childish... But that's always how it is on Dragon Ball and One Piece forums for some reason. Guess I'll just havta accept stupid-fan hate because it's in every fandom.

Anyway... Assuming this film reaches out to a lot of kids, then it will probably do a lot better than some of us expected. Which I don't find to be a very bad thing. I don't really mind if the film does good and gets a sequel. It's just more live action Dragon Ball to go around. I'm not offended by it, as it doesn't harm the existing manga in anyway. Hell, I'll probably get a kick out of the movie anyway. :o Guess that's just my personality type. I got bored of complaining about the season sets (never bought em, but..), and I got bored complaining about the movie. So I'm just kinda looking forward to whatever crap they give us for the movie. :P [/i]
NWO Truth: Educate Yourself
[url=http://www.nfowars.net:443/stream1.pls]Alex Jones Radio Show[/url]
[url=http://www.infowars.com/]Infowars[/url]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:03 am

Bussani wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Truthfully, I do not get One Piece and I think Naruto is a much better successor since it seems like a mature Dragonball. One Piece just seems like a wet dream Kakarrot would have.
I humbly disagree, Professor. Naruto suffers from similar problems to Dragon Ball, but cranked up x10. More filler, more standing around explaining the fight than there is actual fighting, more training arcs than actual conflict. It was a good show up until the end of the first exam (which was just a rehash of Hunter x Hunter to be honest, but totally missing the point), but after that...I don't know.

One Piece, however, suffers from none of them. It's all the adventure, no breaks for training, way less explaining and flash backs, etc. If you ask me, One Piece and Hunter x Hunter are the best shounen made in that regard.

Agreed. One Piece never had 100 episodes of filler.

The only arc I enjoyed from Naruto was the Zabuza arc; then it just began falling apart for me.

I'd also like to point out that angst doesn't equal maturity. There were very few things I found enjoyable about Naruto, and the rest of it I found boring as hell because all the characters would do is stand around and talk about their horrible pasts which at some point just became completely overblown to the point of ad nauseam.

One Piece is fun because it doesn't get its feet caught up in the muck of flashbacks. It's characters deal with their pasts and move on to the present and the future, whereas Naruto's got too many characters who are trapped in their pasts.

Everyone's got their own tastes though, ya know? It's all opinion.
The fact that I've had other former DB fans try to push me into moving from Dragon Ball to Naruto with the extreme passion of used car dealers doesn't aid my opinion on the latter either.
Last edited by Chuquita on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:07 am

There was a nod to Dragon Ball at the end of Avatar where Aang has a dream and he has hair just like Goku. I think he's even wearing orange.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:09 am

Innagadadavida wrote:There was a nod to Dragon Ball at the end of Avatar where Aang has a dream and he has hair just like Goku. I think he's even wearing orange.
Oh yeah, that was about halfway through book 3. I wasn't sure if it was specifically a nod to Goku though, I figured it was just a nod to spiky haired shounen characters in general. But as Goku is one of the major characters in that category, then yeah.

Edit: For anyone curious, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwgkERzR_jc has always stood out as a good video example of how detailed and well choreographed the fight scenes are. This was made before book 3 was released, so the fights are only from books 1 and 2.

Also, it's kind of ironic the video I pick uses Naruto music after me saying how the shows aren't that similar. :shock:

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:15 am

A fun conversation. Anyways, I do wish more series from years ago would come out in the U.S. As I said many times, I liked the Zabuza part in Naruto. I started as a Naruto fan. "This was awesome!" Then I read Chuunin exam... "This is Hunter X Hunter but dull" Then the next part, "This is getting dumb and repetitive." Then the next part, "Hey, wasn't that Fuusuke's move in Ninku?" etc.

As for One Piece, I like a good story that feels and has original elements. Not to mention it's own style... which now people will identify with Fairy Tail. Characters and events that span and show relevance hundreds of chapters later, especially now.

Anyways, we all know my point of view.
- Life is a game, play it!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:32 am

I honestly think Naruto is much more enjoyable character than Luffy. Luffy just seems to emulate everything about Goku, but multiplied by about 5. Naruto may have created with Goku in mind, but he certainly developed into his own character.

That's not to say Luffy isn't a good character; you could probably say since he takes Goku's qualities to such an extreme, he isn't like Goku at all.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki