The Destruction is Real has returned!

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mugenmidget
Regular

The Destruction is Real has returned!

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:05 pm

And apparently, Hellraiser is going to push the Jedi Knight engine to the LIMIT.

I can't wait for the next update.

For those of you who haven't jumped in on this action yet, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Jedi Knight. Then head on over to www.massassi.net and grab the total conversion.

Bid For Power has NOTHING on it.

The official site is at http://www.hellraiser64.com/tdir/ so check it out periodically too!

I can't wait for more exciting beam battles between Popo and Bulma. <3.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:54 pm

>_<

why do people use dated engines to make dbz mods?!?!

*cough*use HALF LIFE 2's Source engine, then we'll talk...*cough

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:02 pm

Tenken wrote:>_<

why do people use dated engines to make dbz mods?!?!

*cough*use HALF LIFE 2's Source engine, then we'll talk...*cough
Because graphic whoring isn't cool.

Oh, and I'd like to add the fact that this has been in work for 4-5 years (released after 4), so if you expect anything good to come out of Half-Life 2, prepare to wait.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:35 am

People have already been working on mods for Half Life 2, and the game isn't even out yet, so that's no excuse. Even so, I'd rather wait for a polished game than play a crappy one now.

And I tend to not download game mods that look like crap, but that's just me.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:50 pm

Tenken wrote:People have already been working on mods for Half Life 2, and the game isn't even out yet, so that's no excuse. Even so, I'd rather wait for a polished game than play a crappy one now.

And that's also just stupid.

And I wasn't aware mod tools were released for Half-Life 2, but I doubt they're that extensive seeing as how they freak out about every little leak.

Freak-a-leak huhuhu.

And if you just mean like, working on models and sounds, that's just stupid. TDIR offers more gameplay than any old BFP or ESF could hope to have, and is a ton load more fun than Budokai.

But oh gee I guess it like doesn't look as good as Budokai so we better GARBAGE BAG IT!

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:44 am

You're missing the point.

I just feel that if you're going to do a mod, you should do it right. Graphics aren't everything, but they do play a big part in the experience. Even if the gameplay is excellent, would you buy a dbz game (or any game, for that matter) for the ps2 that had ps1/saturn graphics? I think not. That is all.

Oh, and I personally think Budokai sucks, btw. ;)

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:39 am

Actually, if they made the greatest DBZ game EVER and it looked like it belonged on the PS1 or even the SNES I'd buy it. Graphics are cool and all, ya, but they don't mean jack squat when it comes to whether or not a game is fun/good. And ya, there are some mod tools for Half-life 2 but there wont be a full out mod for that game until at least 2 years after it's out, at the least.

All that you'll get for that for the longest time is texture maps and models. It will still be Half Life 2, just with different looking people/enemies. Where as something like TDIR takes years to make (just like a game) because they're re-scripting parts.

I think you're missing the point. To get a GOOD mod you have to WAIT a few years. Of course, by then a more powerful engine will have come out. But so what? Who cares? In matters like this it's a case of game quality over purdy pictures. I'll take quality anyday.
Tenken wrote:People have already been working on mods for Half Life 2, and the game isn't even out yet, so that's no excuse. Even so, I'd rather wait for a polished game than play a crappy one now.

And this is why you will only ever play the crappy mods because by the time the good ones come out you'll have moved on to the new purdy pictures.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:25 pm

I understand your side of the argument, so please understand mine. Graphics aren't everything, and neither is gameplay. There is a balance. But, heck, why use a screwdriver when you can use a power drill? Why use the JK engine when there is the q3 engine( Which, OH MY GOSH, The JK games moved to), the unreal engine --heck, the hl1 engine would be better suited than the original JK engine (and I'm not even going to bring Source up again). I just think it was a dumb move. It seems more of a "I want to be different" thing than anything else. Realize that i'm looking at this more from a software engineering/game design standpoint than a "graphics whore" standpoint.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:52 pm

Ya, I do understand that. But something you seem to be missing. This mod was in the works for years, probably started shortly after JK came out, and then stopped for one reason or another. Now it's being picked up again. Why pick this up again instead of move it and start over? Well, first is the fact that there's existing material for it. Second is ease. Neither the HL1 or Q3 engines have the 'force' system which comes in handy for such things as KI.

Though I'm still trying to understand your "Even so, I'd rather wait for a polished game than play a crappy one now." line. Because from everything else you seem to be the opposite. Waiting for a polished game would mean waiting for TDIR. Playing a crappy one now would be getting an HL2 mod.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:17 pm

All i have to say is, Diablo, Diablo 2, Never Winter Nights, for 3 examples of excellent gameplay and crap graphics and yet people still love them including me.

Graphics only matter to those who want to show off, and those who have flash fast computers that can cope.
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Ya I like cat people so what?

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:45 pm

Tenken wrote: But, heck, why use a screwdriver when you can use a power drill?
Because it seems like every time Tim Allen does so he gets in more trouble.

Oh, and staying with the whole tool analogy, you hit the nail on the head Xyex. This project has too much blood and sweat put into it to just sloppily move over to some other engine. And considering the sheer talent of this team, I believe they can make a better Jedi Knight game based on the fact that they are more comfortable with the medium.

Books could be considered "outdated," but there are plenty of authors who seem to understand the art of the pen better than screenwriters.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:33 pm

Xyex wrote:Ya, I do understand that. But something you seem to be missing. This mod was in the works for years, probably started shortly after JK came out, and then stopped for one reason or another. Now it's being picked up again. (jetto note: thank you) Why pick this up again instead of move it and start over? Well, first is the fact that there's existing material for it. Second is ease. Neither the HL1 or Q3 engines have the 'force' system which comes in handy for such things as KI.

Though I'm still trying to understand your "Even so, I'd rather wait for a polished game than play a crappy one now." line. Because from everything else you seem to be the opposite. Waiting for a polished game would mean waiting for TDIR. Playing a crappy one now would be getting an HL2 mod.
Well first, I said that because you said that I would have to wait for a decent HL2 DBZ mod. Waiting isn't an issue for me.

Anyways, thanks. you're the only person that actually answered the question I had. I appreciate it.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:40 pm

Tenken wrote: answered the question I had. I appreciate it.
Considering that your questions were mainly rhetorical, I don't see how you expected an answer before.

Now stop being a skeptic and try out TDIR.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:38 pm

Well, lo and behold, after this graphics argument thing, the TDIR team is actually pushing JK even more.

These aren't in-game, but the team says not to expect them to look too much different from what's depicted here. I like the improvements, but I could really stand some more vibrant colors.

http://www.geocities.com/shred18/piccolo_lod.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/shred18/goku_lod.jpg

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:02 pm

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:23 pm