Which DB manga volumes were edited?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaqibSaab

Which DB manga volumes were edited?

Post by SaqibSaab » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:05 am

I'm an old-timer DB fan that revisited this site and now I want to invest in all that Viz has to offer. I plan to purchase all of their graphic novels, but I'd like to know which ones were edited. Believe it or not, some people would actually prefer to buy edited forms of DragonBall manga. I personally think they're a great idea, especially for parents. As a Muslim I'd prefer not to peer through illustrated nudity and I want something I can show my little brother (he grew up being told that the dub was crap and the manga is the way to go, but has yet to read it).

I read all of the manga back when Planetnamek.com used to have them up (if anyone can remember that, you share my pain). I think Toriyama's last shot of nudity in the series was when Krillin flashed Bulma to Yamcha while fighting the Invisile Man.

Can anybody please tell me which from the first handful of DragonBall graphic novels were edited by Viz?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Which DB manga volumes were edited?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:32 am

There are edited versions of DB volumes 1-3 floating about, but they're not in print anymore (so you might have a bit of trouble finding them). You'll be able to recognize them by the repeating "dragon" pattern in the background and the lack of a "recommended for ages 13 and up" label.

After volume 3, however, the volumes are completely unedited, no matter what form you get them in. There's still a couple more instances of nudity (in volumes 4, 6, and 9 or 10, if I remember correctly), but nothing too major... as I recall, except for the one Bulma shot, it's all Goku.

So... hopefully that helps.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:44 pm

While I understand where you're coming from, I hope you're in the minority.

But I do agree that it would be odd if my parents saw me staring at a page with some young girl's surprised look and her boobs fallen out.

SaqibSaab

Post by SaqibSaab » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:10 pm

Thanks for the help SaiyaJedi. I just wonder how they go about explaining how Bulma gets Master Roshi to give her his DragonBall...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:01 pm

It was about the same I remember, except they didn't show Bulma's butt. It was as if she pulled her shirt up and down fast enough for Roshi to see, but the reader doesn't.