New Dragon Ball series?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

New Dragon Ball series?

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:33 pm

*Sees every single member of the DaizEX boards (and several visitors from Randomness) coming at him, brandishing every type of weapon from VegettoEX's Big Ban Attack to Deus' electric whipping rod*

It's not what you think! I know there is no DBAF, DBV, or DB[insert random letter here]! Akira Toriyama, as well as Toei, have no intention to continue the DB Saga. FACT.

However, have there been any dedicated, serious, yet still fan-made sequel series (manga or anime, not counting written stories)? That thought crossed my mind a few days ago, so I went on a little search. I didn't find much after a few hours. It figured. Without the promise of monetary gain, the casual DB fans drop such projects relatively quickly, and seasoned, well-planted fans, such as yourselves, have normal lives (damn you) and don't have the time to embark on such a project.

But, as always, I should be voted "Most likely to overlook Google results," because as soon as I found myself moping with disappointment back to the GameFAQs DB message board, what do I find but a topic concerning a fan-made Flash Anime series! It is entitled Dragon Ball R (taking place after the events of DBGT), and will contain Japanese dialogue with English subtitles. Each episode will be relatively short and there will be about 20 or so episodes. So far, only the trailer is available, but, God willing, this guy will stick to it.

This is the closest thing I've found to a dedicated, serious attempt at a sequel manga or anime. Are there any others I've missed? Is this topic going to be locked because no one cares?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:31 pm

Do you still have the link to this? That could get the ball rolling.

Not to mention I'm pretty interested.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:55 pm

Fanfiction.net is your friend, use it well.

Newgrounds.com might have some flash movies too, I saw one with "Evil Goku" or some shiz...it looked kinda kewl, but it had no voice acting!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:04 pm

Sounds interesting, and I too want the link out of curiousity...

Oh yes, and if you guys go to Newgrounds.com, be sure to check out a flash movie called "Goku's Kame-Hame-Dump"! Friggin' hilarious and uses actual dialougue from the FUNi dub!

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:07 pm

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=17341379

There you go. The link to the trailer is in that topic. And, yes, I know about ff.net, but I was talking about manga and/or anime. You know, the way DB is supposed to be seen. Also, by "serious," I mean something not made just for laughs, but something made as a genuine continuation.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:07 pm

The only thing I continually notice is that he seemed to reuse a lot of old scenes, and just cheaply drew/traced over them in flash.

This is NOT good because then it is nothing more than a pale imitation, and from the trailer alone I felt a lack of ambition and no real drive behind it. In my eyes, it seems that the only purpose is "More Dragonball Coming Down the Pipes!"

I could be terribly wrong, but I doubt this is anything you should invest your time in. Dragonball, a new letter appended to it, and some weirdly rehashed scenes doesn't encompass a brand new product.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:34 pm

Yeah, well, the way I see it, it's better than nothing. What with only the Lost Episodes left to air on CN, I finally see the end of Dragon Ball in sight. Any genuine (or half-genuine) effort to continue that story will be great.

By the way, I hope he's quick about converting those animations to AVI, because I'll want to download them onto my computer so I don't have to wait for the flash to load every time I want to watch an episode.

Oh well, Dragon Ball lives again!

By the way, I checked again tonight, and I still haven't seen the kind of continuation I was looking for, so I guess this sucker is going to be the first. However, if DBR is as bad as you suggest it might be, we better hope he's not the last. Although, with Cha-La-Head-Cha-La, Blue Velvet and Japanese voices, I don't see how it could be bad at all. Then again, with a song as incredible as Dan Dan, GT sucked, so... wait a minute, I'm going in circles.

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:59 am

Did you know?

That all flash files when you use them online are save to your temporary internet folder? Meaning that you can move it to a different folder and keep it for ever.

On the point of the flahs movie it's self all i have to say is rehashed old scenes, made by what looks like someone with very little drive.
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Ya I like cat people so what?

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:27 pm

Fanfiction.net is your friend
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

*AHEM* I'm sorry. Carry on.

-heh heh heh heh-
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:28 am

The S wrote:
Fanfiction.net is your friend
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

*AHEM* I'm sorry. Carry on.

-heh heh heh heh-
Huhuhu. (Had to join in on the mockery.)

Ok fine yeah carry on but, in my opinion there's not much to carry on about...

The only "more" Dragonball I think we're getting is those weird Flash renditions of the manga...which are still good but I guess not "full-out" or new storywise.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:38 am

Ah, Dragon Ball R. Crazy stuff... Vegita turns evil, kills most everyone, Gohan dies defeating Vegita... 100 years pass, Goku Jr is around, and everyone is eventually revived, Vegita is evil again, Goku eventually turns evil, etc etc... :?

It was interesting, to say the least, and I remember when it was in an even earlier state (the flash was much less pretty at the time)... I do wonder if he'll ever get anywhere with it. I hope to see something more done with Tenshinhan or Yamcha, even if they're only human... :)

I've also seen a few serious fanmanga floating about, but I've honestly lost track of them... though I do believe there was an amusing little saga concerning Bra becoming pregnant... it's on the Temple of the Trunks site, if I'm not mistaken.
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:57 am

That was a bit of a prank rewrite (As in, replacing the original dialogue with joke stuff) of a Dragon Ball doujinshi, if I'm not mistaken.

Or at least, that's what was said there.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:47 pm

Just Kidding! :P

This topic is interesting at least.

I tried several times to come up with a serious DB fanfiction idea (remember when we were going to do one here at Daizex?) - but really - its damn hard to think of something ORIGINAL to add to DB/Z and even harder if you wan tto include DBGT in your backstory.

The one thing I alwaysn wanted to focus on for DB fanfiction was Mirai Trunks' return to the future after he clobbered Cell, a rebuilding and such but I fell into the trap of not being original with that idea. Really beyond that theres nothing that needs explaining or expounding upon with the DB saga, anbd I find the idea of Vegeta, and/or Goku going evil to be horribly cliched.

Heres the way I'd do a sequel if forced at gunpoint, pretend GT didn't exist and try to do something new after the end of DBZ, and even that is not exactly easy.
-Laserkid