Don't you just hate it when people think DB is for kids...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Daijuken wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote: That reminds me of the first Harry Potter movie when Ron says to his teacher "that's bloody brilliant!" and she thanks him for the compliment. If I'm not mistaken the word "bloody" in that context is fairly unaccepted.
Uhh, "bloody" is by no means unacceptable. In England, it's part of the everyday language here, and can be said by anyone in almost any situation.
Oh yeah? I heard teachers would find it unacceptable from a certain podcast but it seems they were misinformed.
Yes...they must be. :twisted:

Seriously though, it's by no means a bad word. You would never get penalized for saying it in front of anyone...unless it was coupled with a real bad word, like "You bloody cunt!" :)
Last edited by Daijuken on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Daijuken wrote:
Yes...they must be.

Seriously though, it's by no means a bad word. You would never get penalized for saying it in front of anyone.
That "Oh yeah" wasn't meant to be degrading or sarcastic by the way. Looking at it again I can see how it would be misinterpreted I meant it in the literal fashion as in "seriously?"

Do you not believe me when I said I heard it from another source?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:09 pm

Heard bloody so much, people use it to describe English or Irish things.

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Daijuken wrote:
Yes...they must be.

Seriously though, it's by no means a bad word. You would never get penalized for saying it in front of anyone.
That "Oh yeah" wasn't meant to be degrading or sarcastic by the way. Looking at it again I can see how it would be misinterpreted I meant it in the literal fashion as in "seriously?"

Nah, I do, I do. But it depends what source. :twisted:

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Cultural difference with that. Kind of how I heard PPG had a few edits in England because they said things like "bugger" and "bollocks" that sound funny here, but are naughty over there. Also heard "ninja" was a bad word over there so wasn't surprised when I heard Naruto got edited more there than on CN.
I don't remember 'bugger' or 'bollocks' in PPG.

Also 'ninja' was a word they didn't feel was appropriate for kids about...20 years ago maybe? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was changed to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. I think they're long since over it by now (the newer series was called Ninja, for example).
Cypher wrote:It cracks me up when you're watching a fairly innocuous American programme (likely a sitcom), and some English guy turns up and starts going on about 'Bollocks' and such...someone should probably explain what it actually means (but then, if it means nothing over there I guess there's no real need...does sound funny I guess)
Bollocks are testicles, lad.

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Bussani: I know, man; it's them crazy Yankees who still seem clueless on that count :wink:
Last edited by Cypher on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Daijuken wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Daijuken wrote:
Yes...they must be.

Nah, I do, I do. But it depends what source. :twisted:
It was on an earlier episode of Pottercast, then again the people who do that show are American so I probably shouldn't have put too much stock in their assumptions. :lol:

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:15 pm

Do Americans ever say 'bloody'? I think I've heard it a couple of times, but it sounded sort of odd... I guess 'damn/goddamn' is more common over there (although we use those too)

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Cypher wrote:Do Americans ever say 'bloody'? I think I've heard it a couple of times, but it sounded sort of odd... I guess 'damn/goddamn' is more common over there (although we use those too)
I've never heard it used over here. It certainly isn't common slang for sure.

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:23 pm

EDIT- makes no sense without (now deleted) preceding message ^_^'
Last edited by Cypher on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Joey Batz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Also heard "ninja" was a bad word over there so wasn't surprised when I heard Naruto got edited more there than on CN.
Ah, just like the title of the show "Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles".

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:27 pm

I always wondered exactly what connotation one could derive from 'ninja' that necessitated changing the name of a kids' cartoon show o_O

Sure, killing with bladed weapons etc, but how would a kid necessarily know that just from the word? Weird...

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Cypher wrote:I always wondered exactly what connotation one could derive from 'ninja' that necessitated changing the name of a kids' cartoon show o_O

Sure, killing with bladed weapons etc, but how would a kid necessarily know that just from the word? Weird...
It does seem pretty strange. A bit like when FUNi first got DB, and they had to censor out anything to do with death. You know what I mean?

Ninja has sort of got to do with death, so I guess it's slightly plausible that they would censor it. Very slightly :?

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Unless I'm much mistaken, I think back in the '80s there were some semi-infamous 'video nasties' that were banned because of ninjas in them going around slaughtering people brutally...can't exactly remember. That might have led to a minor backlash against 'ninja' being used...I guess the general public had little knowledge of them at the time.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Cypher wrote:Do Americans ever say 'bloody'? I think I've heard it a couple of times, but it sounded sort of odd... I guess 'damn/goddamn' is more common over there (although we use those too)
Pretty much used when describing something English or Irish. For example, while watching YYH, described Jin the Wind Master as "a bloody Irish demon!"

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:30 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Did I make some form of a social faux pa I'm not aware of?
:lol:
You called her a man.
Well excuuuuuuussseeeeeee me princess.
Ha ha! I loves ya for quoting that. XD
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Daijuken wrote:
Adamant wrote:Regarding the swearing issue, amusingly enough, the Danish translation of the manga has both "fuck" and "shit" in it, and is still labelled "for ages 9 and up".

:P
Man, talk about being laid back. :shock:

...Seriously?
Yes:
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:34 pm

Oh wow, I want that version... and Not because of "Fuck Fuck Fuck!!" either... Boo calls him Satan...

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Haha, that's awesome. :)

I've gotta' get that. 8)

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Satan-Sama » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:56 am

Daijuken wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Daijuken wrote: Uhh, "bloody" is by no means unacceptable. In England, it's part of the everyday language here, and can be said by anyone in almost any situation.
Oh yeah? I heard teachers would find it unacceptable from a certain podcast but it seems they were misinformed.
Yes...they must be. :twisted:

Seriously though, it's by no means a bad word. You would never get penalized for saying it in front of anyone...unless it was coupled with a real bad word, like "You bloody cunt!" :)
Really? I always figured it was a mild form of profanity over in the UK. Surely at the upper school level (as you Brits refer to high school, secondary school) a student wouldn't be punished for saying it aloud, but what about children saying it, under the middle school level?
Nope, bloody is never used in that context, unless of course someone is making fun of a Brit or doing a "British impression." Damn is used a lot over here, not sure if it is more commonly used than in the UK, however.
Last edited by Satan-Sama on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!