Dragonball Z DVDs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Crimson11

Dragonball Z DVDs

Post by Crimson11 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:03 pm

Hey,
I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the switch from the editted to uneditted. The total number of episodes in the Funimation release is 276, compared to the 291 original episodes in the Japanese series; a differend of 15. However, the editted first two season are 53 episodes that cover the first 67 episodes comparitively in the Japanese release; a difference of 14. Where did the extra episode go? Thanks,
Matt

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:18 pm

If I remember correctly, one episode was an 'uncut exclusive' that wasn't numbered, I think it was on the 'frieza!!1 - omfgwtfbbq hello 2 transformation lolerz' DVD. That should explain the number difference...y'know, as well as it can be explained...

-Corey

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:27 pm

"Freeza - Transformation" contains 64-66 (English) and 78-81 (Japanese), so that's the one in question. Had to do with editing around Kuririn's... err... "horn-through-the-chest" for television.

Also, season two/three overlaps around/into episodes 67/68. It's weird. Dub episode 54 is extra long because it contains stuff from episode 67, but on the DVDs, the Japanese episodes start right up with 68 (no 67 is included). That first "Ginyu" disc actually has two separate video streams for each language, due to all the weird edits and shit.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Crimson11

Post by Crimson11 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:31 pm

So all the episodes are included on the DVDs, they're just messed up with the numbering because of that one? Or is there a missing episode somewhere?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:48 pm

Crimson11 wrote:So all the episodes are included on the DVDs, they're just messed up with the numbering because of that one? Or is there a missing episode somewhere?
No, they (aside from the first two seasons, and eyecatches/previews, and I think one isolated scene in the Bardock special) are all uncut and on DVD...or on their way *eyes Cell Games and Great Saiyaman discs, while petting DragonBox sets*

-Corey

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:05 pm

There aren't any "missing" episodes in the regular running. I mean, not all of "Cell Games" and "Great Saiyaman" are available yet, but there aren't any totally missing episodes that aren't getting a DVD release, and placed in regular order.

Just check out the "DVD Guide." Each section has corresponding notes that should (hopefully) answer any questions you have.

Speaking of which, I have some release dates to update...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Crimson11

Post by Crimson11 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:25 pm

Alright guys, thanks a lot for all of your help. Keep up the great work on the site.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:02 pm

Something weird but, why do the episode numbers go crazy at the Freeza saga? Did Funimation not release one of them on DVD?

Because after the Ocean massacre, there are 14 estranged episodes, and that should be the difference between the English number and Japanese number. But that becomes 13 around the Freeza DVDs.

I should recalculate this because its been a while since I've done this "measure," but if you can provide me an answer without those specifics, then that'd be great.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:10 pm

Mugenmidget wrote:Something weird but, why do the episode numbers go crazy at the Freeza saga? Did Funimation not release one of them on DVD?

Because after the Ocean massacre, there are 14 estranged episodes, and that should be the difference between the English number and Japanese number. But that becomes 13 around the Freeza DVDs.
Actually, it becomes 15. There's one more episode's worth of material lost in and around the episode where Kuririn gets impaled on Freeza's horns. Three episodes became two.

Of course, the difference with this one is that it's still fully intact on DVD. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:15 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Mugenmidget wrote:Something weird but, why do the episode numbers go crazy at the Freeza saga? Did Funimation not release one of them on DVD?

Actually, it becomes 15. There's one more episode's worth of material lost in and around the episode where Kuririn gets impaled on Freeza's horns. Three episodes became two.

Of course, the difference with this one is that it's still fully intact on DVD. :)
So do they just not number the "lost episode" on the DVD? Or do the DVDs even try to continue the silly practice of numbering after Ocean?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:31 pm

They label the episodes like this on the Freeza DVD in question:

Fighting Power: One Million? (Episode 64)
Gohan Attacks (Uncut Version Only)
Piccolo the Super Namek (Episode 65)
Deja Vu (Episode 66)

Although I'm pretty sure the Gohan Attacks title is the one that aired on CN, so it would make more sense if it were the one numbered. :?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:20 pm

TripleRach wrote:Although I'm pretty sure the Gohan Attacks title is the one that aired on CN, so it would make more sense if it were the one numbered. :?
Yep, it was... I always found that quite funny ^^.