Which opening would you have prefered for Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:11 pm

I like both opening and I think it's nice they did something new this time around.

I also like several openings and endings to animes just to see what kind of sequences they can think of (also, to have different songs). The type I like the most is when they just update several scenes with new animation or they un-silhouette something that was hidden before it was revealed in the anime (Pokemon's "Battle Frontier" comes to mind).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:57 pm

It's pretty retarded with 100 openings for 1 series in these days..... Makafushigi Adventure, Chala Head Chala and We Gotta Power are popular songs, because they are definition and recognition mark of Dragon Ball..... These tracks were written specially for the series....... But what you can say for example about Naruto? Ton of openings and endings. When I first saw the first episodes of this series, I was excited, because the opening theme really ROCKED, but then, when I saw the first series, I was really bored with the enxt openings...... Opening theme is mark of the series and is working as some kinda of commercial..... When I saw Chala first time, Slayers, Saint Seiya (god damn it, in the first seasons there are awesome openings), it really got me...... But that I can't say about the modern anime series, where are loads of boring or embarassing tracks from Japanese pop-shit singers. Even the opening is reason for me to go watch some series.... One of my favourite openings is also for Yu Yu Hakusho.....

I was at first afraid about the singer of Dragon Soul and Yeah Break Take Break, because his previous tracks, sorry, but that is a really crap.
But I'm happy and I like it)))))
What I never liked and maybe will never like are Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku, Hitorijanai, Don't You See and Sabitsuita Machine Gun from GT.... In my opinion, GT themes are maybe one of all that reasons, why the GT had that small rate
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:42 pm

MCDaveG wrote:In my opinion, GT themes are maybe one of all that reasons, why the GT had that small rate
...How so? Dan Dan was, I believe considered by the Japanese at the time to be one of of the best songs around, and was immensely popular.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Well, to each his own, I guess. I don't mind them changing the songs regularly if they are enjoyable

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:We could delete the Kai forum and forbid all conversation on the topic until the series has aged 20 years, or we can allow conversation based on first reactions.

I prefer the latter, personally. =)

I don't think people should have to add a disclaimer to their posts, like "Though because I have only seen it a few times, I suppose my opinion may change at some future point if the song happens to grow on me by that time."

Is anyone who uses the "your opinion may change over time" logic telling those who say "I love it!" to temper it down a bit? Is anyone saying "Woah, woah, slow down that optimism, boy. This COULD just be excitement at a new thing, after all, hurry up and lower that opinion to a more moderate level."
This. 1000x.
MCDaveG wrote:What I never liked and maybe will never like are Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku, Hitorijanai, Don't You See and Sabitsuita Machine Gun from GT.... In my opinion, GT themes are maybe one of all that reasons, why the GT had that small rate
That's funny. For most people, GT's music is the best (or 'only good thing' in some cases) about GT.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:16 pm

Bussani wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:What I never liked and maybe will never like are Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku, Hitorijanai, Don't You See and Sabitsuita Machine Gun from GT.... In my opinion, GT themes are maybe one of all that reasons, why the GT had that small rate
That's funny. For most people, GT's music is the best (or 'only good thing' in some cases) about GT.
Believe it or not I'd rather have the Other World Budokai/Buu saga's BGM over GT's BGM but I do like me some Dan Dan.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Vekurotto wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Believe it or not I'd rather have the Other World Budokai/Buu saga's BGM over GT's BGM but I do like me some Dan Dan.
Fair enough. If we're talking about GT's BGM it's a different matter altogether.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm a little late to the game here, but I'm going with Dragon Soul. I love Cha-La-Head-Cha-La, but I love Dragon Soul that much more.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 pm

alakazam^ wrote:The type I like the most is when they just update several scenes with new animation or they un-silhouette something that was hidden before it was revealed in the anime (Pokemon's "Battle Frontier" comes to mind).
If they start doing that, they should plan it through completely, though. Pokemon unraveling 5 of the 6 silhouettes in Battle Frontier (well, one was revealed from the beginning), then switching to a new OP 4 episodes before Lila's introduction was complete bullshit.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:26 pm

3 pages in and the topic has completely changed already, but I'm going to answer anyway!

Chalk one up for Dragon Soul, I think it's a great song.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

kaioken12
Beyond Newbie

Post by kaioken12 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:16 am

Bura wrote:As much as I love Cha-La Head-Cha-La, I'm very happy with the new opening. It's so new and refreshing and definitely not bad!
Yes, I like it as well.
But I feel like the beginning sounds like the GT opening and then it starts to sound like quite some other anime openings of similar style (One Piece or something) xD

But really, I like it and while I still prefer Cha La, I think the new song does nicely fit the role as an opening for Kai.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 pm

I like the visuals for Dragon Soul better though, cause it reflects the Saiyan saga way better than Head Cha La did. I don't know if they'll change the OP and ED until after the Freeza saga since they show hints of Freeza, SSJ Goku and silhouttes of the Gi Nyu Force, Dodoria and Zaabon. BUT I do hope they change the visuals (or the song) by the time Cell and Buu come along.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:46 pm

Even though I prefer much more Head Cha-La instead of Dragon Soul I am glad they used something new and fresh.

Plus I agree with Coola Yagami in which Dragon Soul capture the Saiyan saga way better than Head Cha-La did.

Tekkaman-James
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tekkaman-James » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:49 pm

If "Dragon Soul" had been performed by Kageyama-san, I would probably choose that one. However, since it isn't I would still have to go with "Cha-La, Head Cha-La".

To answer this question for a different perspective, though, I would much rather have seen the original opening, eyecatch, and ending animations than the uber-gorgeous versions they chose to use. It's just that, after watching that sleek modern opening, no matter how nice the restored footage looks, it looks even more dated than it should. I would have been much more impressed by Kai's restored 1989 animation had I not just been dazzled by Toei's incredible 2009 animation immediately beforehand.

Just thought I'd share this here since I didn't know where else to post it. Anyone have any opinions on this, too?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:54 pm

I hate the new eyecatches not because I'm itching for new animation, but just because of the inconsistent animation. The OP and ED are pretty much a separate thing from the show itself in my opinion, but these eyecatches are right there in your face before and after you get the show, and inconsistency is just a pet peeve of mine.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Bussani wrote:
Vekurotto wrote:
Bussani wrote: That's funny. For most people, GT's music is the best (or 'only good thing' in some cases) about GT.
Fair enough. If we're talking about GT's BGM it's a different matter altogether.
But I was talking only about Opening and Ending themes, I like the BGM from GT :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people can make it really twisted up :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dbzxgirlxm

Post by dbzxgirlxm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 am

well this topic has changed haha but i still prefer Cha-la over dragonsoul, Dragonsoul is a great song but when you hear Cha-la dragonball just comes to mind. I don't feel the same with dragonsoul.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:42 pm

No I like the theme they have chose to stick with, Chalala is a great catchy theme, But I think now it's time to give this one a chance. (I actually love it!) Then again I also love the good old 'Rock the Dragon'
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:15 am

I prefer the Dragon Soul over Head-Cha-La. It's new and refreshing, and we've already heard Head-Cha-La over and over again. The intro is superb.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.