Overall Feelings on Kai Music?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Overall Feelings on Kai Music?

Post by Gozar » Fri May 08, 2009 11:12 pm

I think after 5 Episodes we've gotten a lot of different musical feels. Battle, funny, just hanging around, eerie, etc...So what is the general consensus so far for you guys?

For me it's sometimes really good and others really odd sounding. Sometimes I'll even get a Menza Movie vibe from the Kai Music. While with the English cast it wouldn't sound odd to me. Hearing that type of music with say Nozawa's voice just sounds very awkward. Though I think I as someone who also watched the Dub will have an easier time adjusting to that than people who dislike the Dub.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri May 08, 2009 11:16 pm

You know...I think I haven't even noticed :shock:

I've never been one to notice much besides the story itself, as for changing the score, I don't care since it really isn't Z, it's Kai

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 pm

I've been loving the score so far. It reminds me a lot of Faulconer's. His score is always in the background, except for some silient moments, and Kenji Yamamoto's score does the same thing. It also doesn't really resemble Shunsuke Kikuchi's wierd score for DBZ, and that is a plus for me.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri May 08, 2009 11:43 pm

The music is very interesting, and since I have spent so much time listening to it over the past five weeks, it has really made me realize how much I love Shunsuke Kikuchi's original score. Don't get me wrong, I really like Yamamoto's score, but to me it just doesn't quite sink in with me like the original did.

The music almost seems too 'new' for Kai. Even though Kai is new and all, it is still made from good 'ol DBZ, and one of the great things about Z that makes it so timeless is it's classic feel (which many attribute to its great nostalgia factor). Yamamoto's score is very modern, which can be very good, but to me it's just starting to get bland. I first really noticed this in episode 003, when Goku died. It was a great opportunity for a wonderful/epic/dramatic/sad/ song to be played, and the piece they usedwas obviously an attempt at that exact type of song. But honestly, even though it was a very well orchestrated piece, it just really doesn't stack up to it's DB/DBZ counterpart (go to 2:10). The Kai piece is a nice attempt, but honestly it doesn't hold a candle to Kikuchi-sama's piece.

Overall, yes, I do like the BGM for Kai, but not over the original BGM for DB/DBZ and the movies (though I do like it over the GT music so far (that's excluding the OP/ED themes)), and I would love for it to see a complete BGM CD release, which I would definitely pick up!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 08, 2009 11:44 pm

It's nice, but I don't know if I'm sold on the arrangement yet. What made Kukichi's score great to me was that while there were silent moments, the music always came in at the right second. Yamamoto's just happens to come up all the time.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat May 09, 2009 12:10 am

The only piece of it that I've enjoyed was the one that played during Goku's death...otherwise, it's generally just been "there". The atmosphere of the original Japanese score was something that wowed me after going from the "just there" of the US score to the original Z score.

The music is usually just in the background, with not much distinguishable about it, really. Goku's death is the only exception I can think of. There were points I thought the score was obtrusive and awkward.

Overall, I don't really "like" it, but I don't "dislike" it either, excepting in a few parts. It's just a shame in comparison with what it's replacing.

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Sat May 09, 2009 12:12 am

Sometimes it sounds like Sega Genesis music, other times it reminds me of a swashbuckling John Williams score. Far be it for me to complain, as I love both.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat May 09, 2009 12:18 am

I like it a lot. It's more modern, but still "feels" like DragonBall.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat May 09, 2009 12:27 am

I like it. I don't really notice it as much until I listen to the comparison audio clips at Kanzentai though. In its favor I can say that they definitely have a good variety of different pieces.

I really miss this one piece from Z's score though; and I really wish I had some way of identifying it by name (I don't know its name) but its played really often and it's got various variations on it during the show.

*Tries to type out what she's humming*

It's like:
*Na na..lalala NA NA NA...lalalalalalalalalaLA....na NA..na na na na na na....da da da dah dah dah dah dah dah dah.....DA DA DA*.

*Looks up at what she typed and head-desks*.

It's...its this piece that's often played during the battle scenes. '_';;;;;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat May 09, 2009 12:33 am

I really miss the recap music it's the only one I really ever noticed

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat May 09, 2009 1:07 am

Chuquita wrote:It's like:
*Na na..lalala NA NA NA...lalalalalalalalalaLA....na NA..na na na na na na....da da da dah dah dah dah dah dah dah.....DA DA DA*.
Can you name one of the battle scenes it was used in?

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat May 09, 2009 1:21 am

Chuquita wrote: *Na na..lalala NA NA NA...lalalalalalalalalaLA....na NA..na na na na na na....da da da dah dah dah dah dah dah dah.....DA DA DA*.
That's one of my favorite songs. I always wondered whether anyone else enjoyed it.

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Sat May 09, 2009 1:27 am

I don't new recap music, is so... boring...

I miss old BGM but the new one is very cool :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat May 09, 2009 1:27 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:

A tiny bit of it is at the very beginning of this audio clip before it dissolves into a different song entirely: http://www.kanzentai.com/guide/episode/ ... mp_10a.mp3

I wish I could find a longer clip of it...

I know I remember hearing it during the "Goku and Vegeta inside Buu" episodes as well.

EDIT: It sounds like the song "Saiyajin Kitaru", only at a faster tempo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat May 09, 2009 2:03 am

Chuquita wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
A tiny bit of it is at the very beginning of this audio clip before it dissolves into a different song entirely: http://www.kanzentai.com/guide/episode/ ... mp_10a.mp3

I wish I could find a longer clip of it...

I know I remember hearing it during the "Goku and Vegeta inside Buu" episodes as well.

EDIT: It sounds like the song "Saiyajin Kitaru", only at a faster tempo.
Well, I did all of the research I could, and came back here to see that the closest thing I could find (Saiyajin Kitaru), had been edited into your post. :x It definitely seems to be a variation on that piece, but I'm not sure if it is an unreleased piece. I'm looking into it further, and will get back to you if I find anything.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat May 09, 2009 4:30 am

I can sum up everyone's thought on Kai's Music in one post:

Most of the Fanbase: IT SUCKS!!! KAI SUUUUUUCKS!!! THIS SUUUUCKS BECAUSE IT'S KAAAAAAAAAAAAI!!

The rest of the Fanbase: uum... no... I like it... it's really nice to hear some fresh new music to Dragon Ball...

Most of the Fanbase: YOU'RE WRONG!! IT'S KAI!! THERE'S NO WAY ANYTHING KAI CAN BE GOOD BECAUSE IT'S CHANGED!! SHUT UP YOU MORONS YOU CAN'T HEAR!!

The rest of the Fanbase: But... But I like i-

Most of the Fanbase: NO!!

[/dramatic reenactment]

I really Like Kai's Music.

The original Kikuchi Score was awesome, don't get me wrong, but there's just something refreshing about Yamamoto's score, not to mention the Stereo Audio track.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat May 09, 2009 10:06 am

DemonRin wrote:I can sum up everyone's thought on Kai's Music in one post:

Most of the Fanbase: IT SUCKS!!! KAI SUUUUUUCKS!!! THIS SUUUUCKS BECAUSE IT'S KAAAAAAAAAAAAI!!

The rest of the Fanbase: uum... no... I like it... it's really nice to hear some fresh new music to Dragon Ball...

Most of the Fanbase: YOU'RE WRONG!! IT'S KAI!! THERE'S NO WAY ANYTHING KAI CAN BE GOOD BECAUSE IT'S CHANGED!! SHUT UP YOU MORONS YOU CAN'T HEAR!!

The rest of the Fanbase: But... But I like i-

Most of the Fanbase: NO!!

[/dramatic reenactment]

I really Like Kai's Music.

The original Kikuchi Score was awesome, don't get me wrong, but there's just something refreshing about Yamamoto's score, not to mention the Stereo Audio track.
Yes, because the people who like Kai are always polite, well mannered folk, who won't shit on the original. Of course, and all the fans of the original series ALL TALK LIKE THIS AND SCREAM AND RANT ABOUT HOW THEY HATE KAAAAI!!.
Wrong thread for this kind of bitching really, and it's always irritating to see somebody split people into black and white groups, with no middle ground.

As for being on topic, Kai's music is ok, I like a lot of the new music, but there isn't enough good music to keep me interested, I'd rather just listen to Kikuchi's original music.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Sat May 09, 2009 10:55 am

I much prefer the Z score. I have enjoyed some parts of the Kai BGM, namely Goku's death and Goku and Piccolo's arrival against Raditz, but the music at the lighter moments feel totally out of place for me. I thought the fifth episode was the worst for this, too loud or just not the right tone. It has probably been my least favourite aspect about Kai.

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Sat May 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Thus far I have really enjoyed the new score. While the original score is more nostalgic, this new one suits the pace and does a fantastic job of matching the mood of the show. It's a really nice touch.
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat May 09, 2009 1:59 pm

I like the score. It still has a DB feeling to it, but it's a bit more modern. I think Kai's score falls somewhere between the original Japanese score and Faulconer's score on the spectrum. Faulconer's was pure synth/rock and the original was largely brass and strings. This has a nice combination of both feelings. Unfortunately, I wish there were more thematic scores a'la Faulconer's. The dub had a theme for basically all of the characters. Some of them weren't very good (Bulma), others were great (Vegeta). I think thematic scoring makes the music memorable, and Kai is kind of lacking in that department.