DB Dubs Around The World

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 am

The Tori-bot wrote: Well, it is kind of... off-putting and lazy. :?
I must say I never ever thought of it as that, even while watching it when I was 10 years old I was like OMFG HOW GREAT THESE SCREAMS ARE, OMG I LOVE DRAGONBALL!!! So I dunno, each to his own, I guess.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:48 am

sangofe wrote:
I must say I never ever thought of it as that, even while watching it when I was 10 years old I was like OMFG HOW GREAT THESE SCREAMS ARE, OMG I LOVE DRAGONBALL!!! So I dunno, each to his own, I guess.
Well, I'd certainly find it weird if a male-sounding character suddenly started yelling and screaming like a woman.

Plus, it's kinda cheap to not put the effort in of dubbing the screams, themselves.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:50 am

The Tori-bot wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Well, I'd certainly find it weird if a male-sounding character suddenly started yelling and screaming like a woman.

Plus, it's kinda cheap to not put the effort in of dubbing the screams, themselves.
I don't think it's odd at all, and I never thought of Goku as a man, but rather as someone not human with the coolest scream ever.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Masako Nozawa's screams are awesome. One of the early English dub commercials kept in Masako Nozawa's grunts. There's a video somewhere on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfkAlx1FtCw

OMG, I forgot that it was from the Daizenshuu EX channel. Which means that everybody has probably already seen it.

Pragmatic_Hominid

Post by Pragmatic_Hominid » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:45 pm

I'd really love to get my hands on an English subbed verison of the Arabic dub. I'm taking Arabic next semester, and I think this would be a pretty good tool for picking up bits of vocab.

I'm not really sure how to go about obtaining it, though, aside from the bits and pices that have been posted on Youtube.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Pragmatic_Hominid wrote:I'd really love to get my hands on an English subbed verison of the Arabic dub. I'm taking Arabic next semester, and I think this would be a pretty good tool for picking up bits of vocab.

I'm not really sure how to go about obtaining it, though, aside from the bits and pices that have been posted on Youtube.
There was a thread about the DVDs posted not too long ago.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:43 pm

I heard a rumor that the Euro. Portuguese dub of DBGT was better than the DB & DBZ dubs is this true?
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:48 am

It had more accurate translation. But it wasn`t much different.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:55 am

SonGokuGT wrote:
Pragmatic_Hominid wrote:I'd really love to get my hands on an English subbed verison of the Arabic dub. I'm taking Arabic next semester, and I think this would be a pretty good tool for picking up bits of vocab.

There was a thread about the DVDs posted not too long ago.
Oh yes...

Arabic DB DVD "Fire Red" Boxset Review

Arabic DBZ DVD "Black Brick" Boxset Review

Unfortunatly, those are not available anywhere on the Internet... not even on eBay...
They are only available in our region's stores ((probably makes it region 2 only))
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I heard a rumor that the Euro. Portuguese dub of DBGT was better than the DB & DBZ dubs is this true?
Yeah with one of the "greatest" opening tunes ever for dragonball(sarcasm)

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:17 pm

In Portugal for DBGT didn't they leave Endings 3 & 4 in Japanese?
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:15 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:In Portugal for DBGT didn't they leave Endings 3 & 4 in Japanese?
I think they only left in japanese the last opening- Blue Velvet and the rest are the same music as the opening.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:23 am

RandomDbzEnthusiast wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I heard a rumor that the Euro. Portuguese dub of DBGT was better than the DB & DBZ dubs is this true?
The Arabic is the "Greatest" of all non JP/US openings (sarcasm)

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:33 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
RandomDbzEnthusiast wrote:
The Arabic is the "Greatest" of all non JP/US openings (sarcasm)

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
That`s even more catchy, you win :lol:

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:52 am

I've always been partial to the German Dragon Ball intro. Maybe cause I have a soft spot for cheesy 90s techno.

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0h0GWij ... re=related

The Dragonball GT portuguese intro you asked for i!!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:35 am

Levlik wrote:I've always been partial to the German Dragon Ball intro. Maybe cause I have a soft spot for cheesy 90s techno.
The lady sining this song is quite smexy, I must say :o I wish I had that live-action video handy xD

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:48 am

"What's my Destiny" anyone? Italian DBZ opening for the win.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:06 pm

You guys got to have seen the Indian version of Rock the Dragon...

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:08 pm

sangofe wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:One problem I have with the Catalan dub is that sometimes they'll use the Japanese screams, and with Goku it's very noticeable.
Serious? This is a problem to you? The French dub does this all the time, and I've always thought it was a great thing about it, because the Japanese can scream, man, they really care! And I've always thought of the Saiyajin screams like something out of the ordinary, so it never bothered me, plus, screaming like Goku is quite extraorindary, so please, gimme this magnificent experience any time over awful dub screams!
That's right, I was thinking about that too. It didn't shock me even as a kid, this may have to do with the fact that I was hearing the Japanese voices all the time with the Butoden video game series (and Hyper Dimension).

It is current in France, even in live-action series, to leave any battle scream and grunts in original, as most people can't tell there is a voice change. In Dragon Ball, it is very noticeable though with the Son family, and they even left a whole sentence in Japanese when Goku gives his final punch to Broly!

However, there is at least two movies in which even screams were dubbed, because they were shown together in theaters as "DRAGON BALL Z: THE MOVIE" and for the occasion they thought it would be unprofessional not to dub the whole thing: those movies were the ones with Gogeta and Tapion. They also made a mistake by having Gohan talking with Goku's voice in a scene near the end of Tapion, because they didn't pay attention to Gohan's barely visible hair style and confused him with Goku!