Dragonball Season 1 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:20 pm

The green on the GT sets never bothered me, even if I think a darker blue would have been more fitting. I'm just grateful they didn't color it black, photoshop graffiti on it, give Goku a gun, and release it like that to plug their initial interpretation of the series.

I've already said I don't think there'll be cropping, but eh, we'll just have to wait and see. FUNi knows the mainstream will buy it regardless. FUNi NOW knows that the hardcore will only be satisfied with uncropped picture. A fullscreen release is a win-win for them. We just have to hope they realize it.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:26 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Big Boss wrote:I seriously doubt they'd crop it to widescreen again, unless they want a repeat of the Season 1 incident where FUNi were literally butchered left right and centre.
Yeah, and the whole time fans were complaining, Gen Fukunaga was probably smoking a cigar, laughing, and taking a bath in a tub full of all of the money made from Season 1.
Yes, but how much of that money was made because of widescreen? Widescreen was just an easy way to get out of actually doing work on the damaged film. FUNi's Dragon Ball masters, from what I know, are in much better condition then their Z masters. If they don't have to crop it to avoid film damage, I'm sure they won't.
­

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:31 pm

I hope it isn't cropped. There are scenes in the DB anime where, maybe Yamcha is talking to Goku or something, and Yamcha's head is at the very top of the frame while Goku's head is prety much at the bottom of the frame. A cropped version of that would take away both of their heads.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm liking the blue, but I wish they'd made all three series just plain black bricks. Black steel bricks would have been really nice. How about black steel slim bricks? Yeah, I'd be feeling that. :D But no, FUNi executives don't have the patience to plan ahead of their releases, and decide to spit out shit-green GT bricks. The orange bricks are all......right, nothing special. I'm just going to continue ranting. You know what, if it wasn't for Toei giving them the rights to Dragon Ball(Z)(GT), FUNi would have filed bankruptcy a long time ago, and we, as fans, still don't receive "fantastic" Dragon Ball releases.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:11 pm

I think all white bricks would have been better.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:27 pm

I would have chosen red for Dragon Ball and Yellow or Blue for GT. That way all the bricks corresponds with Goku's colors through the majority of each series.

But again! I don't care! I'm just so excited that I'll finally get Dragon Ball.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:34 pm

I like the blue boxart. I think red and blue are the best choices for DB. Also, yellow or orange for DBZ and blue or yellow for DBGT. Or an outer space design also would've been cool for DBGT.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:23 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Or an outer space design also would've been cool for DBGT.
You mean like... this? [/selfplug]
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:42 pm

White? you must be joking? how plain and boring that would be.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Well, the white looks good for those new singles...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:00 pm

bkev wrote:Well, the white looks good for those new singles...
Oh, what a nice avatar you have there. Wonder where you got that from. :P

Seriously though, white on a thick DVD release like the season sets wouldn't look right, IMO. Works better on singles.
Last edited by Big Boss on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:00 pm

So Blue Bricks for DB that is great, and Kid Goku on the cover I knew it smart move FUNi.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:12 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Big Boss wrote:I seriously doubt they'd crop it to widescreen again, unless they want a repeat of the Season 1 incident where FUNi were literally butchered left right and centre.
Yeah, and the whole time fans were complaining, Gen Fukunaga was probably smoking a cigar, laughing, and taking a bath in a tub full of all of the money made from Season 1.
Oh please, don't be so melodramatic. The man's not out to piss Daizex members off or anything. I doubt he's even that heavily involved with this side of production.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Oh please, don't be so melodramatic. The man's not out to piss Daizex members off or anything. I doubt he's even that heavily involved with this side of production.
He's the executive producer of every Funimation property. His opinion actively influences every release.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Pain

Post by Pain » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:15 pm

Raki wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Yeah, and the whole time fans were complaining, Gen Fukunaga was probably smoking a cigar, laughing, and taking a bath in a tub full of all of the money made from Season 1.
He's the executive producer of every Funimation property. His opinion actively influences every release.
I have a strange feeling to doubt that.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:04 pm

I personally think a good color pallet would have been:

Yellow for DragonBall
Orange for Z
Red for GT

But regardless, I think the box looks nice. I like the shot of Goku, but his skin looks a little on the bright side. Frankly what I'm more worried about is the quality of the film. Since this film is older than the Z masters I'm scared we may get all 153 Episodes looking like Z Season 2. >_>

I can deal with the cropped footage. But 153 Episodes of the Season 2 look...GOD!!! >.<

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:03 am

Question.

Are the bitrates on the original Dragonball Saga Sets poor?

In other words, is there any reason for me to upgrade to the season sets other than to simply buy it again? (Outside of the first 13 episodes, never before released uncut)

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:16 am

Anyone have any idea where the DB Season 1 Goku image is from? I don't think I've ever seen it before. I really like it.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 am

If this is "real" for real... I want four things:

1- 4:3 presentation
2- Alternate Video Angles
3- Re-dubbed Uncut version of Movie 1
4- Ocean's opening as an extra
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?