Let's have 7 disks instead of 6...email FUNi!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Regarding the trailer, it appears to me as if they have applied a little noise reduction, because certain colours really stand out, particularly the blues. What would be your thoughts towards this if it happened? Myself, I would be perfectly in favour provided it was done without compromising the video in any obvious way. However, I'm not sure I can trust FUNimation to do this, so I actually hope they do not do anything.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Since they've been showing off their mock-up units already, I'm assuming the packaging has already been sent off to be mass produced.
Or the exact opposite. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the mock-up could also be a prototype to gauge reactions and get general feedback.

And in regards to a couple other things mentioned in this thread...

Alternate Angles
No, just no. This has nothing to do with ostracizing the dub, it has to do with quality. The original Dragon Box tracks were determined by potential broadcast cuts (after credits, commercial breaks, etc.). The beginning of the recap right through to the first commercial break is one solid track. By cutting it into three parts (recap/title card/part A) you end up creating pauses and potential glitches in the track, disrupting the audio and sometimes the animation. Think about it. The title card is NOT an act break.

Blu-ray
HD does not equal 16:9, in fact the mere thought of this is laughable, especially considering that current Blu-ray releases range from 1.33:1 (4:3 standard or fullscreen) all the way to 2.55:1 (Super Technirama 70 or Cinemascope).

As long as the source is actual film, HD will always present you with superior clarity. The issue with DBZ is the quality of said film. If we are already seeing issues with grain on DVD, then viewing it in HD will only magnify the problem unless further, more superior remastering is done to it.

See Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Blu-ray for a good example of this. It was shot on a 16mm portable camera, and although the Blu-ray is still the best release, at the end of the day it just looks like old grainy 16mm footage.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:24 pm

DBW wrote:
Smooth Criminal wrote:Since they've been showing off their mock-up units already, I'm assuming the packaging has already been sent off to be mass produced.
Or the exact opposite. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the mock-up could also be a prototype to gauge reactions and get general feedback.

Alternate Angles
No, just no. This has nothing to do with ostracizing the dub, it has to do with quality. The original Dragon Box tracks were determined by potential broadcast cuts (after credits, commercial breaks, etc.). The beginning of the recap right through to the first commercial break is one solid track. By cutting it into three parts (recap/title card/part A) you end up creating pauses and potential glitches in the track, disrupting the audio and sometimes the animation. Think about it. The title card is NOT an act break.
Then how come the Season Sets had alternate angles for the title cards without glitches?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:56 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
DBW wrote:

Alternate Angles
Then how come the Season Sets had alternate angles for the title cards without glitches?
Dont get anyone started on the quality of the Season sets, that's exactly what we want to avoid.

Seriously, lack of English title cards isn't gonna kill you.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

There weren't any glitches that I know of in the sets...
Cold World (Fanfic)

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:02 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:There weren't any glitches that I know of in the sets...
I had them ALL THE TIME!!
The season sets were abysmal failures in every sense of the phrase.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:03 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Then how come the Season Sets had alternate angles for the title cards without glitches?
I don't know, I don't own the season sets. But I do have the Dragon Boxes and the recap, title card and first half of the episode are on a single track. I said it creates potential glitches when you do something like that, and I think the less monkey wrenches we throw in there, the better.

I recall on many of the DBZ single disks the alternate angles often caused pauses in the audio and the occasional glitch. The Bardock special and third DragonBall movie come to mind.
www.kanzentai.com

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:05 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:There weren't any glitches that I know of in the sets...
At least for me, random sets would have random freezing and skipping at random spots.

I heard this was due to anti piracy/copy protection shit that FUNimation was using.

I'm sorry, but crap like that won't turn people away from piracy. Hell, if anything, it will drive them away from official releases in seek of a 291 episode Dragon Ball Z torrent.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:09 pm

DBW has the right Idea here.

Seriously, FUNimatino has been catering to the Dub Fans for 13 years, just because we sub fans are finally getting the release WE want isn't the end of the world.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:12 pm

I'm gonna copy & paste my post from a few pages ago since it apparently fell on deaf ears:

You guys used to cry about the old releases all the time and we were never this condescending to you. :roll:

ALL of the previous DBZ releases had alternate angles and two title cards. That includes the last 3 season sets, which had excellent quality.

ALL of them had the Japanese audio.

ALL of them had subtitles.

You guys weren't slighted at all when it came to the Japanese version. It's just that there was also a dub that you didn't like alongside of it. And now since Funi isn't giving it as much attention, you're acting like it's some big victory. As far as video quality goes, you suffered as much as we did. Quit acting like you guys have been victims for the past few years.

US DUB FANS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS RELEASE FOR YEARS TOO.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:15 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:19 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:US DUB FANS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS RELEASE FOR YEARS TOO.
Haha. Most dub fans aren't like you. I've been replying to YouTube comments for a day or two now trying to answer the same few questions repeatedly:

1) "Is this the Dragonball Kai dub?"
2) "But didn't they already release the remastered version?"
3) "What's this and how is it different than what I already have?"

I'm just going on a whim here, but I'm guessing that those aren't fans who are hardcore into the Japanese version. They probably haven't been waiting for this for years.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm talking about the ones here.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:21 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I'm talking about the ones here.
What. All two of you?

I kid. I kid. :lol:
(they/she)

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:28 pm

DemonRin wrote:DBW has the right Idea here.

Seriously, FUNimatino has been catering to the Dub Fans for 13 years, just because we sub fans are finally getting the release WE want isn't the end of the world.
Well, that's not exactly what I'm trying to convey.

@jjgp1112
Believe me, I'm not on a crusade against the dub. I just think it will be in FUNimation's (and the fans) best interest to be a little more conservative with tacking certain bells and whistles onto this release.

Again, they purchased this master from Toei for a reason. If they do something to hurt the very product they are promoting, then what's the point? If they can add multiple angles and not hurt the product, then that's fine (and I welcome it), but it seems like a bit of a gamble.

If this product does not live up to the quality standards of the Japanese release, then I feel like they've just wasted their time and money. I'd LOVE for them to prove me wrong, but with 7 episodes, multiple audio tracks and then alternate angles on top of that? I hope you can understand my skepticism.
Kunzait_83 wrote:I didn't notice anything on DB movie 3
Transitioning from the opening sequence with Pilaf to the main credits, there's like a 2 second pause in the audio (although it might just be my disk).
www.kanzentai.com

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Can we all just live in peace here?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:34 pm

dragonfist wrote:Can we all just live in peace here?
We're like family here. We're argue all the time over stupid little thing but we don't actually hate each other... most of the time.
(they/she)

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:54 pm

I am one of those that have gotten tired of the never-ending battle over which is better (or something like that) the dub or the sub? Personally I have like Japanese with subs because of its more faithful script but that would be it.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:59 pm

We're not arguing which is better. We're arguing what should be on the Dragon Box release. There generally isn't any "dub vs. sub" arguments here and when we know more about what exactly will be on this release we'll stop arguing our speculations.
(they/she)

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Ditto. Sorry I guess I shoulda being more specific about the situation. But this debate sure does have that dub vs sub thine going on...