References in Dragonball/Z

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:44 pm

Ok, this is a pretty obscure one...

In DBZ episode 146, Kuririn gets his head kicked through the side of an airplane and Cell lands on the wing. Cell sees that Piccolo and Tenshinhan are aproaching and puts his hand over Kuririn's face. Cell then takes his hand off Kuririn's face, gives him a little "tisk, tisk" and jumps off the end of the wing.

Here are some images (you'll have to copy/paste the links).
http://www.angelfire.com/anime6/knkng/r ... 1_25-0.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/anime6/knkng/r ... 1_25-1.jpg

In the 1983 movie Twilight Zone: The Movie, John Lithgow shoots out the window of an airplane and his head is hanging out. The monster on the wing sees the airport is aproaching and put's his hand over John's face. The monster then takes his hand off John's face, gives him a little "tisk, tisk" and jumps off the end of the wing. (I can't find any images of this so you'll just have to take my word for it.) But believe me, the two scenes are identical.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:45 pm

Dragon wrote::shock: This is about the wierdest thing I've seen all week. I was bored and was typing in attack names on a search engine and then I find that this guy's name is Kamehameha! If that isn't some sort of reference I don't know what is! But isn't that odd, somebody would have the same name as an attack from an anime show?
Original Hawaiin king. Been noticed by fans for years. Just a coincidence. Attack has nothing to do with the man. Pronounced slightly differently. Toriyama's wife finished the attack name for him (he came up with "Kame" and wanted more to it). Yes, Cartman says "Super King Kamehameha bee-otch," but it has nothing to do with DBZ; the scene of hair going golden is debatable. One of them has a degree in Japanese, and it's quite obvious if you watch the show that they are remotely anime fans.

That sums it up quite well :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:47 pm

Nevermind, VegettoEX beat me to it.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:24 pm

DBW wrote: In the 1983 movie Twilight Zone: The Movie, John Lithgow shoots out the window of an airplane and his head is hanging out. The monster on the wing sees the airport is aproaching and put's his hand over John's face. The monster then takes his hand off John's face, gives him a little "tisk, tisk" and jumps off the end of the wing. (I can't find any images of this so you'll just have to take my word for it.) But believe me, the two scenes are identical.
And all the scenes in that movie are remakes of the original episodes...so I wonder if that shot is in the original "gremlin" plane episode.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:17 pm

Er...SuperFusion, your avatar's too big.

And, back on topic...somewhat...Viz calls that Metallic Seargent or whatever he's called "Full Metal Jacket," like that Vietnam flick.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:04 pm

Actually, FMJ is a type of ammunition, it's more likely to have come from that. It's where the war movie got the title, surely. So even if it became known through the movie, isn't it truly going back all the way to the ammo?

But that's debatable. It's also unimportant, I guess.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:21 pm

Yeah, I know it's a kind of bullet...I know a lot about guns...

But that's not important right now. But Viz was probably going for the reference to the movie, at least I think.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:50 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Dragon wrote::shock: This is about the wierdest thing I've seen all week. I was bored and was typing in attack names on a search engine and then I find that this guy's name is Kamehameha! If that isn't some sort of reference I don't know what is! But isn't that odd, somebody would have the same name as an attack from an anime show?
Original Hawaiin king. Been noticed by fans for years. Just a coincidence. Attack has nothing to do with the man. Pronounced slightly differently. Toriyama's wife finished the attack name for him (he came up with "Kame" and wanted more to it). Yes, Cartman says "Super King Kamehameha bee-otch," but it has nothing to do with DBZ; the scene of hair going golden is debatable. One of them has a degree in Japanese, and it's quite obvious if you watch the show that they are remotely anime fans.

That sums it up quite well :).
Oh, i thought Cartman said "Super kick Kamehameha". Seeing what he does against Saddam Hussein later in the movie, it made sense for me.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:25 am

laserkid wrote:The best DBZ reference to other things in the show has to be in the Saiyan Saga.

Okay now, does everyone remember the news crews filming the battle against Nappa? Okay, good. Take a GOOD look at their er...hovercraft. Notice something that seems a little off? Yes, you see what you see is a Star Trek Shuttlecraft, and it even says "NCC 1701-A" - if that's not a reference I don't know what is. Want proof? All right then let me show you all an image from my old DBZ site.

http://people.delphiforums.com/laserkid/dbzstartrek.jpg
YES! Hahaha too bad I didn't get here sooner. My boyfriend and I were just watching that episode only a few days ago. I caught a glimpse of that and my eyes widened and I had to rewind and look at it again. I'm a huge fan of Star Trek (though really just Next Generation) and that amused me so very much. I went right away to tell my other Star Trek and DBZ loving friend that night. ^_^

It's funny, because Star Trek had a few references to anime in return during The Next Generation. It was Dirty Pair, not DBZ, but still cool.

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:14 pm

In Paper Mario 2, if you go to the Petal Village place, there's a white bob-omb whose name is General White, I thought that was an unmistakable reference from DB. Not to mention, I know this is off topic but, one of the mushroom kids was talking about a GBA game called Fire Emblem, that was about the wierdest thing I've seen in a Mario game!
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:14 pm

Not to mention, I know this is off topic but, one of the mushroom kids was talking about a GBA game called Fire Emblem, that was about the wierdest thing I've seen in a Mario game!
That's because Paper Mario was made by the same group which makes Fire Emblem.
In Paper Mario 2, if you go to the Petal Village place, there's a white bob-omb whose name is General White, I thought that was an unmistakable reference from DB.
Beyond the name, there's no similarity between the two, probably, it's just a coincidence.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:51 am

Toriyama just looooves references and cameos.

In Dr. Slump alone there were more references to kaiju (monster) movies than you could shake a stick at, along with plenty of other references, up to and including Star Wars. Toriyama just embodies the geek in us all. =D Bless'I'm.

Anyway, in the DB manga I've spotted little cameos from characters such as the stay-puffed Marshmellow man of Ghostbuster fame, the tin-man, lion and scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz, and even Suppaman (all these during the first budokai, thus before the Dr. Slump crossover later in the story).

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:22 am

Pedro The Hutt wrote: Anyway, in the DB manga I've spotted little cameos from characters such as the stay-puffed Marshmellow man of Ghostbuster fame, the tin-man, lion and scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz, and even Suppaman (all these during the first budokai, thus before the Dr. Slump crossover later in the story).
Chapters and page numbers, please!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:12 am

Well XD My mangabon are somewhat scattered around the house so I'll type in more as I find them.

Also, since the dutch manga isn't very willing to give chapter numbers. XD It might be a bit off.

Suppaman: Mangabon 6, page 32, just left of Kame-sennin's arm.(when they've just arrived at the 1st Budokai to be featured in the manga)

Marshmellow man: Mangabon 6, page 39, second frame, back of the crowd.

Oz-characters: Mangabon 8, page 37, bottom frame, bottom-left corner. (Nam vs. Son Goku fight)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:04 am

Pedro The Hutt wrote:Suppaman: Mangabon 6, page 32, just left of Kame-sennin's arm.(when they've just arrived at the 1st Budokai to be featured in the manga)

Marshmellow man: Mangabon 6, page 39, second frame, back of the crowd.

Oz-characters: Mangabon 8, page 37, bottom frame, bottom-left corner. (Nam vs. Son Goku fight)
Volume 6?! That stuff was in volumes 3 and 4 of the original release (and volumes 3-4 of the kanzenban, for that matter)... :?
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:43 am

Well, I should add, DUTCH mangabon. XD... but seems like we get less pages per book than you guys. >.>;; I feel ripped off now.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:46 am

The Dutch releases of Dragon Ball (By Glenat) are cut in half for their releases. In other words, Pedro's reckoning of Dutch volume 6 would be volume 3 using the actual volume count. So if you were to recalculate, Pedro's page listings would still be correct...

And yes, this makes it overall more expensive. One of the many reasons I don't buy the Dutch releases. That along with the stupid names.

... Genius Turtle?
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:21 pm

At least the 'translation' for Kamesennin I can understand, since our translation of DB is based on the French translation.

But Veer/Feather for Puar? XD
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

SS Kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by SS Kakarot » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:39 pm

Ash wrote:But Veer/Feather for Puar? XD
:lol:
My Cels:
http://sskakarot.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://cels.proboards33.com

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:07 pm

Maybe you should also quote the dialogue in the frame, because it was kinda difficult to find them in Polish manga (which is faithful to the original release).
It's party time, Ginyu style!