Shonen Jump Question (Weekly vs Monthly)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Shonen Jump Question (Weekly vs Monthly)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:02 pm

Is it a weekly magazine in Japan? Cause in the Pioneer movie versions, they mention "Weekly" Shonen Jump in the credits.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:03 pm

Yeah, but there is a monthly one also.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:04 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a weekly and a monthly version. The main version is Weekly.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Shonen Jump Question.

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:22 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Is it a weekly magazine in Japan? Cause in the Pioneer movie versions, they mention "Weekly" Shonen Jump in the credits.
There's Weekly Jump (aimed at late childhood-adolescent males), Monthly Jump (same audience, but monthly), V-Jump (with videogame info!), Ultra Jump (aimed at young men), Business Jump (aimed at businessmen, I guess), and Young Jump (full of scantily-clad models, so you can figure that out for yourself :P).
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Re: Shonen Jump Question.

Post by Heritic » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:49 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:Business Jump (aimed at businessmen, I guess)
Haha, I can see it now, a manga about Donald Trump and his exploits.

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:39 pm

The V-Jump has video game stuff, posters, cards, Viewtiful Joe, Yu-Gi-Oh! R, and more. Comes out monthly.
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:53 am

V-Jump is my fave. But I haven't gotten it in almost a year.

But I hope they don't have a Weekly Jump over here. It would get too costly.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:03 am

The S wrote:But I hope they don't have a Weekly Jump over here. It would get too costly.
I doubt it. The monthly version can barely survive as it is, let alone a weekly version.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:41 am

DBW wrote:
The S wrote:But I hope they don't have a Weekly Jump over here. It would get too costly.
I doubt it. The monthly version can barely survive as it is, let alone a weekly version.
Are sales bad or something?
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:32 am

The thing is, in Japan, ALL of the kids read Weekly Jump. And when I mean all of them...I mean all of them. I've heard that hundreds of thousands of copies are sold every week.

American Jump simply cannot afford to go weekly.

Oh, and V-Jump is awesome. I would have to say that besides Famitsu, it is the best source for Japanese videogame information.
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:58 am

Anyone else notice that the bottom pages of the American SJ are full of propaganda convincing you that graphic novels are better? Honestly, how do they expect to sell the magazine with all that crap on the bottom.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:03 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Anyone else notice that the bottom pages of the American SJ are full of propaganda convincing you that graphic novels are better? Honestly, how do they expect to sell the magazine with all that crap on the bottom.
It works in the Japanese version. If anything, the US version's ads are less intrusive. :P
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:59 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Anyone else notice that the bottom pages of the American SJ are full of propaganda convincing you that graphic novels are better? Honestly, how do they expect to sell the magazine with all that crap on the bottom.
That is merely shameless self-promotion. Pioneer did that with Tenchi also.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:12 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Anyone else notice that the bottom pages of the American SJ are full of propaganda convincing you that graphic novels are better?
I never got the point of advertising the novels, since they refuse to release the novels ahead of Jump magazine. Why would I want to buy the same chapters that I just finished reading in Jump?

Now if they were releasing the novels way ahead of Jump and just using the magazine as a promotional tool, that I could understand...

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:50 pm

DBW wrote:I never got the point of advertising the novels, since they refuse to release the novels ahead of Jump magazine. Why would I want to buy the same chapters that I just finished reading in Jump?
Yeah, it's just another marketing ploy. They know no one actually wants the Jump magazine. Most people would prefer the graphic novels but by adding in the long wait for the GNs, they leave you with no other choice but to buy Jump. That is unless you are willing to wait for the GNs, which just throws a monkey wrench in all of it.

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:45 am

It's not like it's killing us to pay $2.50 a month for the magazine (subscriber!)...

I draw a lot, and it helps to have the graphic novels ready when I need reference images to work with and all the internet takes me to is old Dragonball coloring pictures.

This sounds really shallow, but I just love seeing a bookshelf full of my graphic novels, too...
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:00 am

It's not just that Viz can't afford to publish Jump weekly. You have to factor in the time it takes to translate and stuff. Not to mention the number of series published in the magazine. There's about as much pages of manga published in Weekly Jump as in the English Shonen Jump. Viz fills up the space by using around three chapters of a few manga a month, rather than one chapter of a lot of series a week.
I actually like reading the monthly magazine over the graphic novels. Sure, the GN's are longer, but the magazine has more than one series, stupid advertisements (that for some strange reason I enjoy reading), and a larger size.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:44 am

I find that those japanese are quite lucky with their manga magazines. XD *looks at his two copies of the japanese Weekly Jump on his shelf* Those things are the size of a phone book each!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:17 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:It's not just that Viz can't afford to publish Jump weekly. You have to factor in the time it takes to translate and stuff. Not to mention the number of series published in the magazine. There's about as much pages of manga published in Weekly Jump as in the English Shonen Jump. Viz fills up the space by using around three chapters of a few manga a month, rather than one chapter of a lot of series a week.
I actually like reading the monthly magazine over the graphic novels. Sure, the GN's are longer, but the magazine has more than one series, stupid advertisements (that for some strange reason I enjoy reading), and a larger size.
Like you I prefer the bigger size. That, and the fact that I can be a cheap bastard at times.