CNN: Anime, Pirating & The Economy (with DBZ)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 pm

There is a big demand for anime and manga and the Japanese creator’s draws stuff out concerning when the overseas markets can purchase certain items at a reasonable price to provide the consumers with what they desire. From a business standpoint, it is a smart move but it also leads to pirating. The Dragonboxes is a good example of what I am talking about, I blame all involved not just those that buy bootleg material. I think it was a smart move to air Naruto Shippuden on Crunchy Roll subbed in English one week after it airs in Japan. If other studios would start, doing this there would be fewer problems.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Can we try to relate/apply this more to DragonBall, please? Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Can we try to relate/apply this more to DragonBall, please? Thanks!
I mentioned the Dragonboxes, there is no example where we received Dragonball almost immediately after it is released, unless you count the Special.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:I mentioned the Dragonboxes, there is no example where we received Dragonball almost immediately after it is released, unless you count the Special.
Aaaaaaaand I wasn't specifically replying to you, individually, solely. Had I been doing so, I would have quoted you. It was a general response.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:29 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Woah! The news lady pronounced Son Gokuh correctly! :o
I know I got goose bumbs from it. WOW, CNN finally did something right for a change!

On the subject though, that really sucks, I'm working on either becoming an Animator or in Game Art within the next few years and watching this kindda sucks. I hope it picks up again. Kids, if you love cartoons then please don't pirate them.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Woah, CNN actually acknowledged that Anime exists! This has to be a once-in-a-lifetime event! :D

If one day I was flipping thru the channels, and I saw Goku's big mug on CNN, I would be flipping out! :shock:

*ehem* Anyway, as for buying Anime itself, I try to space it out. A few DVDs here, a Manga volume there, so I don't use it all up on Anime. :P
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by TVfan721 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:04 pm

tvfan721 wrote:Anime is too expensive. It's as simple as that. The prices are not reasonable in the slightest. It's really bad here in Canada, one dvd is close around 30 dollars, give me a break. I refuse to be ripped off like that.

I don't download anything either but I will never ever buy something that's a huge ripoff.
...You are joking around aren't you? :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:28 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by TVfan721 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:39 pm

tvfan721 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
tvfan721 wrote:Anime is too expensive. It's as simple as that. The prices are not reasonable in the slightest. It's really bad here in Canada, one dvd is close around 30 dollars, give me a break. I refuse to be ripped off like that.

I don't download anything either but I will never ever buy something that's a huge ripoff.
...You are joking around aren't you? :?
Joking with what? Here in Canada, a anime dvd with 3 or 4 episodes is around 34.99 or something. Are you actually suggesting that that's a cheap price?
Well, back in my day...

...Never mind! :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:49 pm

I refuse to believe people will go out of their way to ruin the economy by downloading and watching and listening for free. Sometimes it requires more effort to download than buy.

I did a currency converter from Yen to $ and Yen to £. Some of the DBZGT things cost a lot when you want the Japanese version.

It would be interesting to know which country downloads most and of which dub or sub they download most.

Perhaps the industry itself should pay more to those who deserves it. In this case the artist.

Yes things can be overpriced. I mean I could not afford the Dragon Box if I import it from Japan.

It would be cheaper for me to import the coming Dragon Box from USA than to buy direct from UK (where I live)

Also release, re-release and re-release again may not make the consumer happen with Funimation. How many copies of DBZ Movie 1 do you have Mike? If you're happy and can afford it then a ok, but if you can't there is piracy...

Piracy maybe a way to introduce people to DBZGT without using money. If they have no real interest in it then no money lost/wasted. If they have interest in it then it is a 50/50 as to if they spend money on it.

Some people maybe waiting for a series to be completed before buying the whole set in one go.

"Marriage and family is out of the question with what he earns" Interesting comment there. As some people around the world earn less yet still produce offspring and leech of the state handouts!
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Hmm, but my question is. If we are supporting the official release, which means buying FUNimation's DVDs for the most part...isn't that profiting the dubbing company and not the animators? I mean FUNi had to pay Toei to dub Dragon Ball and all right? Not really sure there.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:53 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:Hmm, but my question is. If we are supporting the official release, which means buying FUNimation's DVDs for the most part...isn't that profiting the dubbing company and not the animators? I mean FUNi had to pay Toei to dub Dragon Ball and all right? Not really sure there.
FUNimation has to pay Toei to license and release DragonBall. I don't know if the animation teams get money from Toei in the form of revenue from the sales, etc. but I'm not quite sure it's likely, as per the CNN story.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:03 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:Hmm, but my question is. If we are supporting the official release, which means buying FUNimation's DVDs for the most part...isn't that profiting the dubbing company and not the animators? I mean FUNi had to pay Toei to dub Dragon Ball and all right? Not really sure there.
FUNimation has to pay Toei to license and release DragonBall. I don't know if the animation teams get money from Toei in the form of revenue from the sales, etc. but I'm not quite sure it's likely, as per the CNN story.
I betcha the Corporate Executives (CEOs and stuff) pocket all the cash....sigh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:07 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Woah! The news lady pronounced Son Gokuh correctly! :o
I was in awe of that. Hearing Goku's name pronounced correctly on the news made me happy. X3

But yeesh, those poor in-between animators. Living that way seems terrible. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:21 pm

Since DVDs etc., is so expensive in Japan, I wonder is there a lot piracy going on in the source country? That would explain why the animators are getting screwed.
VegettoEX wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:I mentioned the Dragonboxes, there is no example where we received Dragonball almost immediately after it is released, unless you count the Special.
Aaaaaaaand I wasn't specifically replying to you, individually, solely. Had I been doing so, I would have quoted you. It was a general response.
My bad...

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:23 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote: I betcha the Corporate Executives (CEOs and stuff) pocket all the cash....sigh.
As if stealing the product wasn't bad enough a lot of CEO's pocket the money for themselves and underpay the animators. I really feel bad for animators in Japan.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Downloading is bad and it hurts the industry, but Dragon Ball seems to be doing pretty well for itself. At least it is here in the states; it prints money. There's no denying that piracy is doing some damage to the anime industry. Couple the target audience of anime with the ease of piracy and it's no wonder these companies are suffering heavy blows. But I think more companies, specifically FUNimation, are starting to see the benefit of releasing some free material. For example, what they've been doing recently with titles like Sgt. Frog. They're uploading the first couple of episodes on their video player for free with commercials. It's free for us, it's getting the word out for them, and they're even making a little off of the ad revenue (probably only enough to cover bandwidth). I think piracy has served to keep the anime industry in check. Box sets are more affordable, complete series are being released rather than just singles, and they do cool things like include figures and booklets to make us want the physical packaging. It's been nothing but beneficial for the consumers and may have even humbled some companies.

I'll be honest. I downloaded Dragon Ball. Before that, I downloaded Avatar. I actually regularly torrent anime and other cartoons. However, I'm also a regular DVD buyer as well. I always buy the series I enjoy. If I hadn't downloaded Dragon Ball, then I wouldn't have gone out and picked up the Dragon Ball Z seasons. I know I'm not the only one who subscribes to the "try before you buy" method of piracy. I have a list of series that I plan on picking up when I have the extra cash. Most of the time, I only download a few episodes in the first place. For example, I downloaded five episodes of School Rumble and watched it before I decided that I DO NOT WANT. But I downloaded all of Dragon Ball and watched it all, and I'm still going to pick up the Season Sets and sub-sequentially the Dragon Box.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 pm

It is a great shame that the in-between animators earn so little. This problem is made worse by the fact that the gap between the top and the bottom is gargantuan.
However, if this was in the UK there would be large scale strikes, the government would discipline the company (fines etc.) and then the company would increase the underpaid workers' salaries. It is the way of the culture. Not only that, the DVDs in Japan are at ridiculous prices so when people are given the choice of a DVD box set worth over 40,000 yen (DragonBox Amazon Japan prices) it is easy to see why people choose alternatives. The recession is crippling companies who sell luxury items.

My point is that piracy is a major problem but there are other reasons for this. For the record I am against piracy. However, I believe that if the product hasn't been released yet and you will buy it when it comes out then there is no problem in seeing it before hand.

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:05 pm

Wow, the poverty line is at $20,000! I'm freaking poor! I'm looking at a 5 figure income for the first time in my life this year.

On topic, I think downloading anime increases the market for it. I'll usually download an episode or two of a series I think I might be interested in. If the series looks interesting, I'll go on E-Bay or Amazon Marketplace, and pick up a used copy. Or, if I see it at Dollar General for $3, I'll pick it up. So, downloading actually supports the industry, because I wouldn't buy them at all if I hadn't seen the downloaded eps first.