YouTube / Toei Mass Takedown Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Do you really think whoever may see such a video will either understand or care? Don't try to be humorous in your attempts to 'fight the good fight' just be polite and terse and then get the hell outta Dodge.

Honestly, how can you blame Toei for what they're doing? How many people do you think are 'geeks in the know' about the sort of thing most of these videos were about? The best assumption to make is that none of them are. There's no reason to be angry at Toei like they specifically meant to kick dirt into anyone's eyes. They did what they felt they needed to to protect their property.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Yay! My stuff is being deleted off youtube now! :D

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Post by Remix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Do you really think whoever may see such a video will either understand or care? Don't try to be humorous in your attempts to 'fight the good fight' just be polite and terse and then get the hell outta Dodge.
No, Black Magician. I don't believe or give a flying dick whether Toei or Youtube actually acknowledge the videos. There is no fight going on as far as I'm concerned because there is no fight to be won. All I'm doing is being silly and saying, "HAY FUCK YOU, TOEI. STOOPID." Why? Because it doesn't make a bit of difference either way. I'd much rather act a fool and have fun about it while all the mature geezers just rant about how pointless it all is and that Toei is well within their rights and blah-blah-blah...

I'm just in it to have fun. Everyone else? I don't know.

Maybe they're just as retarded as you've all been crying about.
JulieYBM wrote:Honestly, how can you blame Toei for what they're doing? How many people do you think are 'geeks in the know' about the sort of thing most of these videos were about? The best assumption to make is that none of them are. There's no reason to be angry at Toei like they specifically meant to kick dirt into anyone's eyes. They did what they felt they needed to to protect their property.
See, you're using logic. Logic is no fun.
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm

It is always best to have a backup account so when you do get deleted (you can) just continue on with the new one.
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:34 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:Thank you Hujio. To be honest, and I had a huge Skype discussion on this, we thought that it was a little immature of InnagadadaDBZ to flip off and threaten Toei like that, especially since he made that such a widespread campaign on YouTube.

Toei Animation is a highly respected Japanese company that made Dragon Ball Z AND has the complete right to do anything on YouTube they want to in regards to their copyrighted content.
Wow. Just wow. :roll:
Also, there was no threat.

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Post by Remix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Oh, really? Care to explain this?

"Give TeamFourStar back to us and nobody gets hurt."

Forget it! I don't want to hear it! You're going downtown, buddy!
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Herms wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:A lot of people don't seem to know what they're talking about. That sucks :?
If you put that on a t shirt you'd make a million bucks.
I second that. :lol:
I can see their parachutes.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:45 pm

I think I'm allowed to express my displeasure in Toei and YouTube's actions toward TeamFourStar and other non-bootlegging Dragonball channels in any way I please. In this case, I chose to post a 20-second video of Vegeta flipping off the "camera" and a funny little "nobody gets hurt" message with Japanese DBZ music playing in the background. If that's immature of me, fine. It's not as if Toei's going to listen to me, anyway. As far as I can tell, they ripped things down based on viewcount and not content. What makes me think they'd pay attention to the actual content of my expression of displeasure?

"Big fish," you say?

Fine and dandy. But they're obviously going after the wrong kinds of fish. Everything that Toei is afraid of still exists on YouTube and many things that don't threaten them are being pulled down left and right. If I'm expected to act all professional and polite about this, Toei and YouTube could at least do their jobs in a way that accomplishes their real goals rather than half-assing it and just taking down popular stuff with the words "Dragon Ball Z" in the title despite whatever the content may be.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Kendamu wrote:I think I'm allowed to express my displeasure in Toei and YouTube's actions toward TeamFourStar and other non-bootlegging Dragonball channels in any way I please. In this case, I chose to post a 20-second video of Vegeta flipping off the "camera" and a funny little "nobody gets hurt" message with Japanese DBZ music playing in the background. If that's immature of me, fine. It's not as if Toei's going to listen to me, anyway. As far as I can tell, they ripped things down based on viewcount and not content. What makes me think they'd pay attention to the actual content of my expression of displeasure?

"Big fish," you say?

Fine and dandy. But they're obviously going after the wrong kinds of fish. Everything that Toei is afraid of still exists on YouTube and many things that don't threaten them are being pulled down left and right. If I'm expected to act all professional and polite about this, Toei and YouTube could at least do their jobs in a way that accomplishes their real goals rather than half-assing it and just taking down popular stuff with the words "Dragon Ball Z" in the title despite whatever the content may be.
Seconded on so many levels.

If it's immature to voice displeasure about something, then I guess I'm a proud toddler.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Re: Luigi24's account was suspended on youtube.

Post by DominatorLost » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Kendamu wrote:Toei had a temper tantrum and did a massive, inefficient sweep of YouTube that took down a bunch of comparisons, parodies, etc. while leaving full episodes and such intact. That's what happened.
This is pretty damn retarded.
I'm not ready for this.

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:03 pm

Youtube and Toei need to be taught a financial lesson.

They are pushing people away with their actions.
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:14 pm

dragonballzgtfighter wrote:Youtube and Toei need to be taught a financial lesson.
Well... No, not exactly. Even if YouTube lost the entire Dragon Ball fan community. That's not a loss at all. Out of the piles and piles of shit that came from the Dragon Ball fans on YouTube, there were probably only a couple of hours of legitimately good content. And that's not even considering how small our little community was. Not including all of TeamFourStar's subscriptions either because they appealed to more than just Z fans.

Honestly, it wouldn't matter to YouTube at all. And I doubt Toei even cares about the American fans. That might explain why they sell their properties to FUNimation and 4kids; it's somebody else's problem at that point. They make Japanese cartoons for Japanese people. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the videos from YouTube with the people of Japan in mind.

baragon_kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by baragon_kun » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:41 pm

Honestly I'm Not surprised at all, cause after all

Its Youtube

Consistency was thrown out of the window to them
and so, to them, suspended means banned........

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:55 pm

baragon_kun wrote:Honestly I'm Not surprised at all, cause after all

Its Youtube.
Yeah, ditto. People put stuff up on Youtube illegally all the time, and companies take down stuff put up illegally on Youtube all the time, and then people just upload the same stuff illegally to Youtube again. ALL THE TIME. This is isn't news. The part that is news is that a bunch of hilarious, abridged-series-worshipping morons made unbelievable fools of themselves in protest. But then this is the internet, so that's not really at all surprising either.

It's funny, I was just noticing the other day when I went back through the Youtube book marks I have gathered over the years (including such things as "Final Flash German dub" and "Ryusei Nakao sings Animaniacs' Countries of the World") more than half of them had been deleted. Of course it really doesn't make a difference because more than half of those had already been reuploaded on someone else's account.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:05 pm

russ869 wrote:The part that is news is that a bunch of hilarious, abridged-series-worshipping morons made unbelievable fools of themselves in protest.
Oh, yes. I feel like such a fool for posting this. I can't believe what an abridged-series-worshiping moron I was for uploading a video that shows that I do not agree with YouTube and Toei's actions against TFS. If I could somehow delete it, I would and I'd join all the non-morons who sit and go, "Oh well. Guess it's best to not say anything at all because saying something is foolish."

:roll:

Are you even reading what you type or are you just trying to jump on some non-existent bandwagon you thought you saw following Hujio's post around? If such is the case, at least understand that Hujio was going more for a, "There's a better way to do it," approach and not a, "Sit down and shut up," approach.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:Thank you Hujio. To be honest, and I had a huge Skype discussion on this, we thought that it was a little immature of InnagadadaDBZ to flip off and threaten Toei like that, especially since he made that such a widespread campaign on YouTube.

Toei Animation is a highly respected Japanese company that made Dragon Ball Z AND has the complete right to do anything on YouTube they want to in regards to their copyrighted content.
Wow. Just wow. :roll:
Also, there was no threat.
I know seriously, its just like remix said, it was all in good fun. For me it was a way of venting my sadness. I know Youtube wont care, I mean they might get a bit annoyed at all the copy/paste videos and whining but they aren't going to bring TFS back. Even if its silly, bad or just opinionated all we are doing is showing are love for TFS and doing something instead of just sitting here pissed.

Also, about the copyright thing, If TFS were to challenge this there is some hope of winning. Some of you might say "oh, putting that little disclaimer in the begging is meaningless" but its the same as having a source page in a term paper. You are acknowledging the source material in your own work.

There work was a parody, and everything except for their annotations is completely original. It is completely legal here in America(which is why Funimation didn't go after it).

I'm not sure how things work in Japan but whatever. No point in challenging this. Really all TFS has to do is create their own website and find a way to post their videos there without uploading them to youtube.

or get a sexy artist to draw out the scenes for them in flash. 8)
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Hujio wrote: [*]"Dragon Ball Z Abridged is amazing. Fuck you Toei!" Yeah, that'll help get your show back... And they'll have to listen to you now, because you just told them they're a bunch of fuckers.
Because I'm sure they're reading this forum...

You don't need to single out what I said. I'm pissed that they took down the videos from Youtube. Nothing more :?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:37 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I know seriously, its just like remix said, it was all in good fun. For me it was a way of venting my sadness. I know Youtube wont care, I mean they might get a bit annoyed at all the copy/paste videos and whining but they aren't going to bring TFS back. Even if its silly, bad or just opinionated all we are doing is showing are love for TFS and doing something instead of just sitting here pissed.
I was more amazed at the fact that ShinRogafuken is playing it like he's some sort of poster boy for maturity in the matter. He completely missed the point of the video. Also, he has the gall to call my actions immature when he's the one who brought petty drama to my channel a few weeks ago and makes videos where he insults and swears at trolls from his channel. I mean, we are on pretty good terms. I made an intro for him, he affiliated his channel with mine. Then he steps on my name as a way to try to gain a little credibility with people who don't really even like him in the first place. It's cowardly.

Also, your buddy Lewis constantly misspells things in his videos. :lol:

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I know seriously, its just like remix said, it was all in good fun. For me it was a way of venting my sadness. I know Youtube wont care, I mean they might get a bit annoyed at all the copy/paste videos and whining but they aren't going to bring TFS back. Even if its silly, bad or just opinionated all we are doing is showing are love for TFS and doing something instead of just sitting here pissed.
I was more amazed at the fact that ShinRogafuken is playing it like he's some sort of poster boy for maturity in the matter. He completely missed the point of the video. Also, he has the gall to call my actions immature when he's the one who brought petty drama to my channel a few weeks ago and makes videos where he insults and swears at trolls from his channel. I mean, we are on pretty good terms. I made an intro for him, he affiliated his channel with mine. Then he steps on my name as a way to try to gain a little credibility with people who don't really even like him in the first place. It's cowardly.

Also, your buddy Lewis constantly misspells things in his videos. :lol:
To quote a wise man, "Can you take your E-drama elsewhere like the IRC."
:wink:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For the record, plenty of AMVs have been removed from not only YouTube, but other sites. This includes several of my own.
I'll second this. I've had a few AMVs pulled from Youtube, and never from an anime production or distribution company. It's always from the music industry. I had one vid taken down for using less than a minute of a song that was available free from the band's website (and was uploaded in it's entirety on Youtube through far more popular channels than mine).

I find this interesting because it seems like a large-scale case of international boundaries blurring. Normally I would assume Toei would leave FUNimation to handle the policing of copyright infringement on American websites. But with Youtube... well, I've watched plenty of videos uploaded from Japanese users, so I imagine that they can go to our site as easily as I can go to jp.youtube.com. That opens up a newer angle to the already murky waters of copyright/international copyright/etc.

EDIT: While it is pretty much true that content is *not* reviewed once a take-down request is made (Youtube basically shoots first to avoid lawsuits, and worries about the details if a counter claim is made), TFS may have in some way been a threat to Kai. Maybe this even indicates an eventual stateside Kai release. The thought popped into my head because I said to Kunzait just last week "If I'm going to bother watching an abridged version of the Freeza Saga, I might as well wait for TFS' second season."
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.