About the Ocean/Westwood Dub of Cell and Buu Sagas

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cain Highwind

About the Ocean/Westwood Dub of Cell and Buu Sagas

Post by Cain Highwind » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:34 am

I apologize if this is the wrong spot for this. But recently looking at places like The IMDB and The Anime News Network, and seeing the different actors really sparked my interest as to hearing what they were like (I've heard some of those "redub" clips from way back in the Trunks Saga and a Couple in the Cell saga).

But here's the thing I'm wondering, did they ever air these alternate dubbed episodes on DVD (or VHS)? Because I haven't been able to find them. (I'd imagine they wouldn't be in US stores anyway)

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:25 am

Short answer, no.

Long answer, no. :lol:

The Ocean Group is just a company of voice actors, they couldn't liscene there own version of DBZ for DVD (I think).

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:16 pm

Only place you'll see them is on Canadian, British and maybe Dutch TV
Where's the beef?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:27 pm

Nah, the Netherlands don't show Dragon Ball Z/GT anymore.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Cain Highwind

Post by Cain Highwind » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:58 pm

Eh, I just thought that maybe there was another DVD released in Europe or something with the dub included as an extra track. Such a shame really, I always preferred the Ocean Studio actors over Funimation overall.

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:43 am

YTV currently plays the Ocean Group dub of DB, DBZ, and DBGT here in Canada, yeah. I'm starting to get used to it and like some of the acting, but some voices just kill me (like Bulma.. she sounds like a 14 year old girl no matter what part of the series it is.. even in GT.. dfjsgsdh). @_o They're going through the Piccolo Daimaou Saga and the Buu Saga right now (near the end of both). Errrr and I don't pay much attention to GT but last I saw, they were at the end of Baby's part. Whee. XD

Uh visit Canada? :D Haha.

DBW
Regular

Re: About the Ocean/Westwood Dub of Cell and Buu Sagas

Post by DBW » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:53 pm

Cain Highwind wrote:and seeing the different actors really sparked my interest as to hearing what they were like
Meh...you're not really missing out in the way of voice acting...

DB - Horrid voice acting (I'd say worse than FUNi), and a theme song to match. On the plus side, there is virtually no censorship (especially compared to the Cartoon Network version).

DBZ - So-so voice acting, you'd just as well be watching the FUNi dub. So-so music, and I think the editing is on par with CN.

GT - This one stands out in the music department (original themes/BGM), but once again, the voice acting is nothing to write home about (I'd say it's on par with FUNi).

Although Ocean Group has some great actors, they obviously weren't directed too well in these projects (I don't even think it was Ocean Group for GT, actually). Especially for DBZ, they seem to just be taking cues from Chris Sabat's directing, and just making a FUNimation clone. But if it's any consolation for Ocean fans, I've met both Chris Sabat and Scott McNeil, and Scott was a million times more awesome! :P

Cain Highwind

Post by Cain Highwind » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:55 pm

Well personally, I prefer Scott Mc. Neil's Piccolo and Brian Drummond's Vegeta more than anything else. You're lucky that you got to meet Scott McNeil :cry:

I did get a chance to hear some of the characters like Bulma (who I agree, sounds like a little girl), and Trunks (who sounds so monotone and lifeless)

Well regardless, thanks for the info guys.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:07 pm

It was Blue Water who dubbed DB and DBGT. They are a division of Ocean. Their censorship of GT was actually good. The only bad sides to it was cutting out blood in the earlier eps, showing Goku's ass and aparently censoring the first SSj4 transformation (though I am not 100% sure what the uncut version is like).

At the end of 2002/start of 2003 (I think it was then) a British DBZ website started to post news of Ocean DVDs. Although covers were posted, there was hardly any other news about them.

I perefere some of Ocean's VAs to FUNi and vice versa. For example I prefere Ocean's Mr Satan, Piccolo, Gotenks and Mr/Fat Buu but I prefere FUNi's Kibito and Super Buu. Both Ocean's and FUNi's teen Gohan is good in my opinion.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:16 am

I enjoy all the Ocean groups Dragon Ball work.

Dragon Ball started out bad, but they good really good in the 23rd Budokai tournament.

They had great translations as well
Where's the beef?

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:06 pm

The full, uncut SSj4 transformation (if my old Super5 subs are correct) involved a bunch of nekkid Gokus standing around. Both adult and kid. Looking at something. And a drop of water (Pan's tear?) breaking the surface of... more water.

I still have no idea what the hell it meant. :P
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:22 pm

In that case, I'm glad they cut the SSj4 transformation.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:37 pm

Oh, and it also involved Goku screaming and devolving from Golden Oozaru to SSj4 form, but that took up around 30 seconds of time.

There was one neat bit, and I'm not sure if they retained it or not. Pan asks Goku if he'll be able to change back to normal. He looks at a window and replies that he doesn't know. The window shatters.

No idea what that could mean, either, but still a neat moment.
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:55 pm

Caracal wrote:I perefere some of Ocean's VAs to FUNi and vice versa. For example I prefere Ocean's Mr Satan, Piccolo, Gotenks and Mr/Fat Buu but I prefere FUNi's Kibito and Super Buu. Both Ocean's and FUNi's teen Gohan is good in my opinion.
Really? I was really disappointed how the Ocean dub made Gotenks and Vegitto only one voice. You prefer their Gotenks? I was a lot happier with Funimation actually having both voices in both fusions like the Japanese version did, instead of just one for some reason.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:57 pm

I prefered Ocean's Goten and Ocean's Vegeta.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:48 pm

I preffered Ocean's Vegetto because I don't like Sabat and Schemmel's individual work much, so having them fused in one voice...
Where's the beef?

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:25 pm

Now I really want to know what the new Ocean Studios voices sound like..I think we need some clips here. :wink:

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:28 pm

If I had any way to rip audio from my TV, I'd help. @_@