DBKai: Freeza Saga and The Five Minute Mark

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:43 pm

This is one of those few things that always comes up as an "Issue", and I have never understood why. I think it is right up there with a "Power level debate" or a "who's stronger debate".

Freeza said five minutes as a bluff, he realized he was outclassed, and played the planet destroying card to ensure his would be victory and escape route if he were unable to bring down Super Saiyan Goku. By claiming there was five minutes left, he hoped to panic Goku. If he managed to make Goku feel rushed, Goku might make an error in the fight that could give Freeza the upper hand.

It was a verbal claim, which was proven wrong. Goku taunts Freeza about not being able to go through with it, and Freeza says something about the planet being a tough old bird or something similar.

The time from the claim to when the planet blows up, simply put, IS much longer than five minutes. It was a failed bluff, nothing more. There is no need to try and retcon something to make it a true statement. As long as it follows closely to Manga is the important thing, is it not?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Is anyone looking for a battle that's literally five minutes? Even the manga was longer than that. It just wasn't ridiculously long like the anime.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:05 pm

Another point to be remembered in this discussion, is that what we see them do, is slowed down immensely, when Yamcha ought the Saibaman, Gohan couldnt watch since they were moving too fast. Frieza and Goku are much more powerful and are fighting on a completely different level than that fight. Maybe it was only five minutes.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:08 pm

verto wrote:Another point to be remembered in this discussion, is that what we see them do, is slowed down immensely, when Yamcha ought the Saibaman, Gohan couldnt watch since they were moving too fast. Freeza and Goku are much more powerful and are fighting on a completely different level than that fight. Maybe it was only five minutes.
While that has been mentioned before, I don't like to look into it that deeply. Part of it was the "oldschool martial arts film standoff" flair and the other part was just plain filler. Too much of it, too. I think about four episodes should suffice.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Look, obviously Freeza can't tell time and is bad with numbers. Just like Chaozu (remember Krillin's win against him?). He's very sensitive about it, and I'll thank you not to bring it up.

Poor thing came sobbing into Goz and Mez's offices after Cell pointed it out in Hell. It took hours to talk him out of there. Eventually Recoome had to lure him out with a candy bar.