References in Dragonball/Z

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:50 am

Pedro The Hutt wrote:Aye, but the original Son Wuukong/Goku didn't turn into a rampaging giant ape as far as I know. So the MvC2's Sonson turning Oozaru and spitting laser might just be a poke at DB.

But I do agree that the original Sonson was a take on the legend rather than DB.
Yeah, Sonson is a take off of the original Son Goku character in Journey to the West, but he never turned into a giant ape, so it's a total DB reference.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:39 pm

http://dcmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/mvc22/bg02.jpg
SonSon's super involving her Nyoibo.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/sc ... _52916.jpg
The special where she turns you into a giant strawberry and eats you.

Looked through 20 pages of Google for the Oozaru special and couldn't find it.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:38 pm

I guess I'll have to boot up MvC2 sometime and attempt to take a picture of Oozaru Sonson using the digital camera. >.>;

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:11 am

I remember a 007 game for the Super famicom which played like games as final Fight and Double Dragon. However, when you had enough energy, you could transform into a Super Saiyan.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:59 am

SDHero wrote:
Pedro The Hutt wrote:Aye, but the original Son Wuukong/Goku didn't turn into a rampaging giant ape as far as I know. So the MvC2's Sonson turning Oozaru and spitting laser might just be a poke at DB.

But I do agree that the original Sonson was a take on the legend rather than DB.

Yeah, Sonson is a take off of the original Son Goku character in Journey to the West, but he never turned into a giant ape, so it's a total DB reference.
Not really. He didn't transform into a giant ape, but he changed his size (like Ma Jr.) to fight the god of war.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:32 am

Yep. Sun Wukung wielded the Nyoi-Bou, though I'm not sure if that's what it was called. But it did have the power to grow and shrink on command. Son Goku's Kintoun derived from the Monkey King's ability to somersault on clouds, which he was noted for doing standing up, unlike the gods who sat down (Goku rides his cloud like he's surfing).
Actually, Sun Wukung not only changed size but he also could transform into numerous things, since he learned around 75 or so magic spells.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:06 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:Yep. Sun Wukung wielded the Nyoi-Bou, though I'm not sure if that's what it was called. But it did have the power to grow and shrink on command. Son Goku's Kintoun derived from the Monkey King's ability to somersault on clouds, which he was noted for doing standing up, unlike the gods who sat down (Goku rides his cloud like he's surfing).
Actually, Sun Wukung not only changed size but he also could transform into numerous things, since he learned around 75 or so magic spells.
So, could he transform into a golden warrior, or was that only for DragonBall Z?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:48 am

72 transformations, not 75 :) And that's pretty impressive, the only beings known to be able to transform in so many forms beside the übercharacters like Buddha, is Er Lang/Youzen/"Idea-For-Tenshinhan"

But no. In the book Wukong doesn't transform in a golden-haired monster. He could change size and grow arms and heads and stuff though.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:09 am

Is Sonson an MvC-only character, or was... uh... it in some other games?
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:13 pm

Fuujin wrote:Is Sonson an MvC-only character, or was... uh... it in some other games?
Marvel vs Capcom 2 only.

And you can become the giant ape...and even shoot lasers from your mouth.

It's SonSon's more fun special...that's for sure.

Here's some quotes from MvC2 FAQs:
3. Enoo (SK + 2 punches/ NO AIR)

This Super definetly has potential. What happens here is that
Son Son grows super large, about the size of Juggernaut. She
looks totally different. There's a little timer bar at the
bottom, to indicate how much time you have left before the Enoo
super ends. When in the super Son Son can shoot fire from her mouth
and do punches, she has MECHA-ZANGIEF ARMOR (which means no hurt
animation and no blocking). To do the fire spit you hold down the
kick button, when you let go she stops shooting fire. You can shoot
the fire at a 45 degree angle, a straight forward fire, or a downward
degree angle. She can walk forward and backward (really slow) and it
takes forever for her to turn around. However, you can't just hold down
the kick forever, when there's like 20% of the time bar left, the computer
will make her stop (but it ain't over yet, check the Stragety Section for
more). Son Son while in her "Enoo" mode can do two types of punches.
One that slams down, and the other that's like an uppercut. To do the
one that slams down is (WP), to do the uppercut one is (HP). There ok,
but the fire can go all the way to other side of the screen. It does
good block damage, no not good, "GREAT" block damage, with the fire.
Her Monkey
Emperor (for some strange reason, it looks like one of those Super Saiyajin apes from DBZ. RIP
OFF!!) is her one ace in the hole should you be getting your ass handed to you.
I'll try to return with pictures.

EDIT: I totally forgot. Son-Son in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is the only fighting incarnation, but Capcom released an arcade game long ago called Sonson...so there you have it.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:11 am

Just spotted a few more. >.>;;

Early in the manga(3rd volume of the dutch manga, so probably 1st or 2nd of the american volumes), when Chi-chi and Son Goku go to fetch Kame-sennin to get him to put out the fire of the flaming mountain , Kame-sennin summons a flying turtle to transport him over there. Said turtle bears a striking resemblance to how Toriyama has drawn Gamera in the past.
(I could provide scans of both.. and a picture of movie Gamera >.>;;)

And while skimming through the 12th book, so most likely the 6th american one, during the Red Ribbon arc when Son Goku heads to the city to find Bulma.
After being tossed out of a taxi Son Goku reasons that people ask money for information and thus he goes up to a prize fight, during that scene Count Dracula (or a vampire look-a-like) is seen in the crowd in a panel.
Shortly after that he nearly gets mugged, on a wall there's a poster for Dragonball with the Fuji TV airing time. (Wednesday's, 7pm)
Even later in that volume we find a recharger unit of some kind in Bulma's room which looks quite like R2-D2 of Star Wars fame.

Again I'm willing to provide some scans of those should people want them. ^.^

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:14 am

Pedro The Hutt wrote:Just spotted a few more. >.>;;

Early in the manga(3rd volume of the dutch manga, so probably 1st or 2nd of the american volumes), when Chi-chi and Son Goku go to fetch Kame-sennin to get him to put out the fire of the flaming mountain , Kame-sennin summons a flying turtle to transport him over there. Said turtle bears a striking resemblance to how Toriyama has drawn Gamera in the past.
(I could provide scans of both.. and a picture of movie Gamera >.>;;)
The turtle is even called "Baby Gamera" (in the Viz translation) :P
Where's the beef?

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm almost positive he's called "Kid Gamera" in Japanese. That's why he flies by spinning, just like the real Gamera.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:12 pm

XD Sure beats the dutch translation, there he just summons the... FLYING TURTLE!

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:19 pm

Yeah, he's called Gamerka (Polish diminutive form of "Gamera") in our version of manga, so I'm pretty sure he was "Gamera-chan" in original. Pretty obvious reference.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:54 pm

Mizugi wrote:I'm almost positive he's called "Kid Gamera" in Japanese.
Yep, Kame Sennin calls him 子ガメラ ~ Kid Gamera in the manga and anime.