So... how long HAS Goku been able to sense ki?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

So... how long HAS Goku been able to sense ki?

Post by WhatTheDarn » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:26 am

When he and Bulma arrive in Oolong's town, Goku says he can sense people... (shown at the end of Shonen Jump's Dragon Ball flash manga #9 at http://www.shonenjump.com/unedited/flashmanga/mol.html )

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:35 am

I'd say since the day he was born, being in movie 8 Brollys power level was so high it made Goku cry.

Vegeta91

Post by Vegeta91 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:30 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I'd say since the day he was born, being in movie 8 Brollys power level was so high it made Goku cry.
Can we really say that for sure ? I don't think it was ever stated that Brolly's power made Goku cry. I think Goku may have either learnt how to sense Ki from Grandpa Gohan, or from Kame-sennin (Maybe the incident in Oolong's town was just because of some Saiyan sixth sense, considering that Goku couldn't tell that Bulma's car wasn't 'alive' ).
My heart is calm. It is quiet and pure. Make no mistake though, it's pure evil.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:36 am

I thought it was after he drank the Ultra Divine water.... He stated that he was able to sence where Piccolo Daimao was, something I'm pretty sure he was unable to do earlier.....

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:55 am

I always thought that it was part of Kami/Popo's training. >.>

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:03 am

Perhaps he could just sense big Ki signals, but Popo taught him to actually sense how powerful a foe was.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:47 am

Slightly off topic, did King Kai teach Goku how to fly?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:33 pm

I would guess that he picked up a basic ability to sense ki sometime while living in the mountains, probably from training with his grandfather. If that is the case, it probably improved as his skill went up, like the sensing Piccolo from Karin Tower example. But I don't think it was fully refined until after training with Kami and Popo. I don't recall the other fighters being as "aware" until after they trained up there during the Saiya-jin saga.
Sun_Wukong wrote:Slightly off topic, did King Kai teach Goku how to fly?
He learned it sometime before the 23rd Budoukai, since he used it to fly into Piccolo for the win. But he doesn't use it much at first because it seems to be very taxing. Like not wanting to use it on Snake Road, or choosing to use Kintoun to fly to the Vegeta/Nappa battle after he comes back to life.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:32 pm

I think it was pretty much very much instict at first, what with Goku ''feeling'' people in Oolong's town. And much later, feeling something is ''wrong'' when Kame Sen'nin dies. He doesn't really know what to do with it. Then, after drinking Karin's holy water, he goes all like ''Piccolo is over there. I can sense him.'', which surprises the heck out of Karin. I think that's basically when he learned it, and that Mr. Popo taught him to refine it to his maximum potential.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:52 pm

I'd say since his training with his grandpa. I think in Dragon Ball all living things with ki can sense ki, but it's a developed ability that has to be mastered. Kinda like how sometimes I can tell when someones behind me...like right now...:shock:
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:18 am

He learned it after Freeza did the Bon Para dance to summon Porunga.

Vegeta91

Post by Vegeta91 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:12 am

Dai wrote: And much later, feeling something is ''wrong'' when Kame Sen'nin dies.
That's just "wrong" :P .

I still stick by my Saiyan theory though, Goku seems to surprise the heck out of everyone during DB when he does crazy stuff like imitating techniques and what not. :lol:
I'm not sticking by my Grandpa Gohan theory anymore, I just remembered that he couldn't exactly sense of Bulma or her car (or rather not be able to sense her car)
My heart is calm. It is quiet and pure. Make no mistake though, it's pure evil.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:52 pm

I don't think it's his Saiyajin heritage. This is Dragon Ball; we don't know if Toriyama-sensei had thought that far ahead.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:02 pm

That is true. My theory is when Akira Toriyama had Goku flying the Kintoun to the battle with Vegeta and Nappa, it was something he did just for the story itself and not for realistic terms. If he flew, then Piccolo wouldn't have died and there wouldn't have been a Planet Namek saga either. But, I don't want to get into a whole "what-if" story.

That also explains why Goku ran down snake way as opposed to flying. To stretch the story. He would flew down the Snake Way after his training because it had to go into syndication with the story ideas. If he would have ran down Snake Way the second time, Earth would have been taken over by Vegeta and Nappa.

SNS

Post by SNS » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:38 pm

Dai wrote:Then, after drinking Karin's holy water, he goes all like ''Piccolo is over there. I can sense him.'', which surprises the heck out of Karin. I think that's basically when he learned it, and that Mr. Popo taught him to refine it to his maximum potential.
Yeah that's what happened, so I don't understand why people are questioning when he learned to sense ki :?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:01 pm

Well Goku did start off flying down Serpent Road, but his energy eventually ran out and he didn't have enough "ki" left to maintain it. That's when he started running. I always assumed that the wish to Shenlong gave him enough energy to fly all of Serpent Road and also greatly increase the speed at which he could do it.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SNS

Post by SNS » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:57 pm

The wish didn't increase his speed, the training increased his speed (just like it increased his strength).

Super Saiyan Knuckles

Post by Super Saiyan Knuckles » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:59 pm

TripleRach wrote:I would guess that he picked up a basic ability to sense ki sometime while living in the mountains, probably from training with his grandfather. If that is the case, it probably improved as his skill went up, like the sensing Piccolo from Karin Tower example. But I don't think it was fully refined until after training with Kami and Popo. I don't recall the other fighters being as "aware" until after they trained up there during the Saiya-jin saga.
Sun_Wukong wrote:Slightly off topic, did King Kai teach Goku how to fly?
He learned it sometime before the 23rd Budoukai, since he used it to fly into Piccolo for the win. But he doesn't use it much at first because it seems to be very taxing. Like not wanting to use it on Snake Road, or choosing to use Kintoun to fly to the Vegeta/Nappa battle after he comes back to life.
I think that was just to avoid being sensed... or setting off the scouters. Goku wouldn't really haveknown what techniques Nappa and Vegeta had at that time, so he'd have to be careful... Even though Nappa asn't a match.
Because Kaio-Ken just doesn't cut it anymore.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:22 am

I always assumed that Goku was able to detect people in Oolong's village by their scent, an ability he used a few times. But, well, it's all in the words, Polish language uses the same term for "sense" and "smell". I guess the original, Japanese text would shed some light on the subject.

Okay, here's how Goku's ability to "sense" people was evolving in the manga:

Vol. 1: Goku is somehow able to detect people in Oolong's village. He can tell that there are many of them.

Vol. 4: ??? (I don't have this one, but I don't think anything important for this topic happened at 21rd Budokai.)

Vol. 5: Isn't able to tell that Metallic is a robot. He IS able to find Seargant Purple, but it has nothing to do with detecting Ki.

Vol. 6: Can tell that Bulma is coming by picking her scent. By now we can be pretty sure that this is the basis of his abilities in Oolong village.

Vol. 7: Okay, now we're on something here. Goku is able to feel Pirate Robot. This also proves that he finds creatures mostly by scent and maybe moving air. But he also says "I don't feel anything alive.", so this could very well be the first time Goku uses Ki detection. It's a mystery why he was able to do it here and not in the Ribbon base. Maybe he was just more cautious.
Later, Blue somehow hides his presence at Kame Island and probably in the Pirate Base (seeing as Goku was able to detect the Robot but not Blue). Kamesennin admits that "This guy is good... Even I wasn't able to feel his presence.". I think it's the first time we see someone suppressing his Ki in DB.

Vol.8: ??? (Again, I don't have this one. Could be that something happened, seeing as Goku drank the Divine Water and all.)

Vol. 9: Kamesennin says that "I can tell subconciously that this man is very strong.", refering to Gohan (grandpa). Goku also admits, that "this guy is on a totally different level that the ones before", altough he could just assume it from the fighter's stance. Again, we see him use his sense of smell, as he speaks of Gohan's scent as "pleasant".

Vol. 10: ??? (Don't have this one.)

Vol. 11: There's no need for Ki reading for Goku and Tenshinhan, as both fighters had seen each other in action.

Vol. 12: Goku isn't able to tell that Piccolo-Daimao is much stronger than him. Maybe he couldn't, maybe he was just too angry to worry about the details.

Vol. 13: Goku senses Daimao far away, much to Karin's shock.

Vol. 14: After Kami's training his Ki sensing abilities improve tremendously. He's able to not only tell the opponent's location with his eyes closed, but even his movements and (I think) approximate strength.

Vol. 16: Goku is able to sense Raditz coming from a fair distance, and feel great power within him, contrary to Kuririn, who not only lacks Ki sensing ability, but also common sense. Goku still needs to use Dragon Radar to find him from greater distance. Strange, this didn't seem to be much problem to him in Vol. 13... Oh well.

Vol. 19: Goku learns to sense energy from vast distances. For the second time. And again, I don't have this volume, but that's how it was in the anime. I don't think manga differs much.

Vol. 24: Goku gains the ability to recognize the person by his energy pattern. Thanks to that, he can pretty much follow the battle with Freeza while being healed.

Vol. 32: Kuririn can sense Cell's full power by touching him, even though the latter was hiding his power. Obviously, Goku should have that ability too, but he seems surprised when Cell later shows his full potential, even though Goku was fighting him for quite some time. Kuririn 0wzn0rz Goku.

Vol. 33: Goku has been working pretty hard on his Ki sensing ability to make Shunkaidou more effective. He proves this by locating New Namek... Well, after being given the general direction.

Vol. 39: Goku, with relative ease, manages to find Bulma - a human of average strength - by her Ki, something that Gohan wasn't able to do with Videl.

Hope that helps.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:19 am

Regarding Volume 7 though, I think that that's Son Goku sniffing the robot. As it is a bit of a given that machines can't have ki.

Impressive list though. =D And yay for Kuririn pwnzing Son Goku! XD