DBKai: Vegeta's finger on the chopping block

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 pm

No, the finger likely will not be kept, holes or none.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote:No, the finger likely will not be kept, holes or none.
Why not? Ugh* Whatever, I just hate censorship. Kai is getting ridiculous.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 pm

SSVegetto wrote:
It's a damn finger. You want to see it? Buy Dragon Ball Z.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:
No, I won't. I have an opinion, I don't like it, and I'm allowed to express that opinion. You may think it's not a big deal. But I do. Censoring is inexcusable to me. I don't tolerate it. And since this is Kai, I'm allowed to say I don't like it. I'm allowed to look at one single product as a whole. Not say since other products have this, than therefore it's okay. Because the other one has the finger, so it's okay to excuse this one of the censored finger.

"It's a damn finger"

Exactly, so why censor it?
Last edited by SSVegetto on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 pm

SSVegetto wrote:Hmm, I thought there was suppose to be oozing green blood in that screen in DBZ.
Purple, actually. And it is there. It's just hard to see because the screenshot came from a low quality rip.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:06 pm

Kendamu wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:Hmm, I thought there was suppose to be oozing green blood in that screen in DBZ.
Purple, actually. And it is there. It's just hard to see because the screenshot came from a low quality rip.
:oops:, I thought it was green blood? Oh, now I see it, and I'm sure in full motion, they show a little more coming out. Namek's have purple blood. Ganondorf has purple(green?) blood too lol. Actually, Ganondorf has red blood in the first version of the Zelda Ocarina of Time cartridge. But they changed the cartridges in the later version for him to have purple blood to actually censor it. What a weird coincidence. But I guess in this case, Namek's are suppose to have purple blood.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:12 pm

SSVegetto wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
SSVegetto wrote: Why not? Ugh* Whatever, I just hate censorship. Kai is getting ridiculous.
No, I won't. I have an opinion, I don't like it, and I'm allowed to express that opinion. You may think it's not a big deal. But I do. Censoring is inexcusable to me. I don't tolerate it. And since this is Kai, I'm allowed to say I don't like it. I'm allowed to look at one single product as a whole. Not say since other products have this, than therefore it's okay. Because the other one has the finger, so it's okay to excuse this one of the censored finger.

"It's a damn finger"

Exactly, so why censor it?
Because in twenty years things have changed. You can't have middle fingers on a children's show on 9AM on Sundays. That's their excuse and it sounds like a pretty nice one to me. I don't particularly care for them spending money on a shot that they can spend on a fight, but none of us have any particular influence on the decision and complaning about it is pretty stupid when an 'unedited' version of the very scene is available on DVD.

Dragon Ball Kai is a modern product made for modern audiences under modern mores.

EDIT: Hell, that shot isn't even in the original comic!
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote:EDIT: Hell, that shot isn't even in the original comic!
I was just about to mention that (again). I think that, if they could get away with it (I'm not sure where in the dialog they put Vegeta's middle finger) that they could just remove the shot completely if they don't want it there.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:34 am

Bussani wrote:
ultimateemail5000 wrote:Doesn't Kai come on durring the AM, while DB and DBZ were aired 7PM on Wednesday or some crap like that? Do you guys ever think that maybe if possible, Kai is being censored because of it's early morning slot?
That has been considered, yes. One Piece comes on right after Kai though, and doesn't seem to be censored as heavily. S'weird.
Trafalgar Law flipping off Captain Kid was censored from One Piece back in March, though, so they're not really inconsistant on this matter.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Why is everyone blurting out "It's just a finger, It's just a finger"?

It's not the finger, it's the message that giving the bird sends. This has been going on in anime for awhile, too. Naruto had a few middle fingers thrown around in the first few volumes, but they weren't shown in the anime. Even recently in One Piece, someone gave the bird in the manga. This was omitted in the anime. (Although this was more recent. Around Episode 380 or something like that.)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 pm

It is not even in the manga...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Not to return to the subject of the finger being removed, but...

Kai #25: Kuririn gets powered up (DBZ #54-55?)
Kai #26: Vegeta Fights Zarbon again (DBZ #56-57?)
Kai #27: ???
Kai #28: Vegeta talks with Gohan (DBZ #58 )

...is it just me, or would this scene being in Kai episode #27 sound more likely?
She/Her
bisexual milf

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:46 pm

As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind the finger not being here. It always seemed kinda out of place in that scene anyway.

And if anything, it actually makes Kai closer to the manga, so I'll never complain about that (even if it's actually meant for censoring politics and not manga faithfulness)! The closer to the manga, the better!

The only addition I found cooler in the series than in the manga is Gohan's tears and absent look in his eyes when turning Super Saiyan 2, as if something had broken inside, and then the angry look he throws at Cell with his tears disappearing. And I don't think they'll remove the tears, so it's gonna be okay for me! :wink: (actually, even if they do, I'll still be quite happy for the follows-more-the-manga thing)