Could DB end earlier?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Could DB end earlier?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:36 pm

If you were to end DB sooner than Toriyama did, where would you end it? Personally, I wouldve ended it after the Cell saga. The Buu saga was way too long and Goku ended up saving everyone's hides, again. Ending it at the Cell saga wouldve left the series with a nice twist, the main character being dead and all.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:51 pm

personally the only place I would end it before Buu would be the 23rd Budokai.

I'm a sucker for happy endings.
-Laserkid

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:50 pm

Granted, the end of the series was a bit cliche and predictable, but I think it wouldve been much better if it had gone on just one more season. Then it couldve had a better ending :)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:04 pm

Or a worse ending...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:43 pm

Very true Psyliam. It could have ended up as bad as GT! Sorry about the GT bashing, just the way I feel! Although, the ending to GT's quite good except for the little depressing fact that Goku gives up his life. :? It made me too sad :(
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RatGoku

Post by RatGoku » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:44 pm

I would have to say, after the cell games, it just works so well.
Hey look, it's a signature!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:53 pm

Don't you think it was kind of dumb that Goku chose to remain dead though? His decision was based on the fact that he felt bad guys were always coming to Earth because of him, but look, seven years later, Babidi and Darbura turn up anyway. It doesn't really seem to matter whether Goku remains dead or not. The Earth just seems to be cursed. I think the end of the Freeza saga was still the best choice. I think it would have been great to leave it off with Goku not wishing to come back right away because he was training elsewhere. It's so like him! It would have been just as happy an ending and instead of Goku leaving his family again for the umpteenth time like he did to train Ubu, he would eventually come home to Chi-Chi and Gohan.

Pipe_Dreamz

Post by Pipe_Dreamz » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:25 pm

I guess I'd have to go with everyone and say that ending at the end of the Cell saga would have been one of the best things to do. Then again, the Freezer saga ending would have been good, too. Originally, Toriyama wanted to end the manga there (so I've heard).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:19 pm

I heard that too. When did Toriyama say he wanted to end it after Namek? It wouldn't make sense to. Goku was thought dead, so Vegeta was the strongest on Earth while still pretty evil at that point (staying on Earth only to wait for the return of the super saiyan).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:28 pm

I suspect that (and I'm sure I read somewhere) that if the original plan to end the manga at the end of the Freeza saga had gone through, then Goku would almost certainly have been killed when Namek exploded, sacrificing his life in order to stop the most powerful and evil being in the universe.

There's a fair chance Vegeta might have been killed too. Or maybe he would have refused to believe that Kakarrot was dead, and spent the rest of his life looking for him. But I can't see Toriyama ending it with a still fairly evil Vegeta on Earth with no-one to defeat him (as I don't think Gohan was strong enough at that point).

And yeah, it was a dumb decision. Pilaf wasn't "caused" by Goku. Neither was the Red Ribbon Army. Or Freeza. Or Buu. Only Raditz and Cell really fit into that argument, and if Goku had been dead (for whatever reason) when Raditz had turned up, we could have kissed the Earth goodbye.

RatGoku

Post by RatGoku » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:41 am

PsyLiam wrote:I suspect that (and I'm sure I read somewhere) that if the original plan to end the manga at the end of the Freeza saga
I think I have read this somewhere. The world runs on greed, this and only this is the reason that DBZ went much longer then originaly planned. Toei just wanted more money, and knew full well they could get it. Now, this makes me think: If DBZ had ended at the end of the Freeza saga, would another seires have been made? If so, what would have happened? How much more or less would Toei fuck it up?

Enter Dragonball(insert letter or letters): Gohan takes over as Protecter of Earth, peace for X number of years. Seemingly unstopable force comes to Earth, Dragonballs are not enough. Must find weapon/magic item/better Dragonballs/whatever. So then the crew: Gohan/Person/Person find this, one dies just before finding object. Object is used to stop the unstopable force. Everyone is happy, for a time! Then more crap happens, Toei goes under. Same old, same old.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:52 am

Isn't that pratically the plot for GT? Minus Goku as a child again.

RatGoku

Post by RatGoku » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:54 am

Exactly my point! Well my point is Toei going on their own spells suck ass anime, but hey it works!

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 pm

I will always stand by my opinion that DBZ should've ended after the Freeza arc. Freeza was, and always will be the only enemy that wanted to use the DragonBalls. Garlic Jr. doesn't count 'cause he was filler. Freeza, to me, is the best villain in Z, with Cell second.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan, did you look at the age of the topic before you posted? This was a GIGANTIC necropost, and doing so is against the forum rules.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!