What would you have rather seen?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

What would you have rather seen?

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Would you have rather seen Kai get new music (what we got), or gotten completely new animation? I would have liked to see the second option. It would take a lot more work and money, but it would probably make the difference to me in whether or not I would buy any future dvd releases.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 pm

I prefer to assume one day we'll get a completely new animation (re: one day...which can be a decade for all I care), but the Kai music is from an well accepted composer for the franchise, and as jarring as the transition has been, it's actually pretty nice music.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 pm

New animation. I've been wanting it for a while, but after seeing "Ossu!" last year I really REALLY want it badly.

I'd prefer a brand-new 2-D animated 26 episode series that's more in line with the comedic tone of the Jump Special than a reboot of Z. I want some new material with the main characters so badly.

I really enjoyed bored!Goku and his attempts to entertain himself by trying to irritate Vegeta. Also Goku went and broke the 4th wall a couple times and I enjoyed that. X3
It'd be nice to see more of Tabaru too with how much his personality contrasts with his brother's. XD
And more Son family daikon farm.

And if I couldn't have that new series, I'd want a new movie. A decent-sized one too. It'd have to break an hour. Like maybe something an hour and a half long would be good. I've seen some of Toei's recent animated movies and I know DB/Z would look amazing if they were to give it that treatment.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Not sure about new animation. I'd want them to try to match the style of the manga as it went along, like they did originally, rather than doing the whole thing in the style of Kai's intro. Kai's intro is cool, but it just wouldn't seem... genuine(?) to see the whole series animated that way.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Idk, i really liked the intro to Kai it would have been great to see the story played out with those visuals, but I know what you mean about trying to preserve the integrity of the manga art. To me the anime, especially a revision of an old anime, would be its own separate entity. It would be a fresh retelling of the story and give some new flavor to an aged series.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:59 pm

New animation though I would still want it to try and match the manga.
But even if it didn't I'd prefer new animation.
I really like Kai's music though and if they were to do new animation I'd assume they would also change the music.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:51 pm

New animation. There are plenty of opportunities for new music (video games, CD's, original movies and specials).

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:24 am

I think DBZ's animation was so beyond it's time, there absolutely was no reason to redraw everything, other than tracing the original footage.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:23 am

New animation; phasing out Z by not using it's footage would have been the ideal choice for me.

Toei is just being cheap as far as I can tell. Dragon Ball will sell no matter what, so it's not like they wouldn't have made back any money spent on new animation.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:19 pm

I'd want new animation. If it looks as good as the intro does, then I'd be very happy with it.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What would you have rather seen?

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:52 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:Would you have rather seen Kai get new music (what we got), or gotten completely new animation? I would have liked to see the second option. It would take a lot more work and money, but it would probably make the difference to me in whether or not I would buy any future dvd releases.
But it seems like lot ofyou missed the point of Kai..... DBK is made to be most true to the original manga, and art in DB and Z anime progresses based on Toriyama's progressing art in manga trough the years....

If you'll make new art it won't be true to manga animore......
but I won't be surprised if they aren't doing new animation only because of money
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:25 am

New animation. A total remake.

The way I see it, kai is just a poor excuse for making more money out of Dragon Ball Z. They just changed the minimum for kai to be considered a different product.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:34 am

I'd think the minimum would just be an HD upgrade. Kai is entirely re-dubbed and re-scored, and partly re-animated, as well as being HD.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:57 am

I'd hate to see it reanimated by the time the majority of the voice actors pass away. :cry:

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:00 pm

That's a good point, at some point the series would either die or be carried on by completely different VAs. If you ask me though, any new DB stuff is better than no new stuff. You might just enjoy it despite the differences, and if not, no one's forcing you to accept it or watch it.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:08 am

New animation!

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:16 am

I rather had it re-animated than the new music. I love the new opening and ending, which has both!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:18 am

New animation, making money off old animation was a really bad idea.