Where can I order the PAL version of "The Saga of Goku

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Where can I order the PAL version of "The Saga of Goku

Post by M-Vegeta » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:28 pm

I'm getting a little impatient/eager waiting for eps. 1-13 of Dragonball to be released. Who knows when we'll get them here in the U.S.

Can someone maybe give me a link to order the PAL version? The one mentioned in the DVD guide as having the Japanese track with English subtitles.

I'm guessing It'll be able to play on my computer. I'd like to reburn it without region coding, if possible.

Tank yuu!

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:36 pm

Well, you could get the Australian version at ezydvd.com.au (I believe) , Australia uses PAL, but it's region four.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:34 pm

I'd advise for you to wait for the American release. You have to things going against you:

1. It's PAL - It won't play on an NTSC TV, only on computer
2. It's Region 4 - Our DVD players don't play it! only if you have a multi regional players, even then, it won't display PAL, you'd need a multisystem TV.

So, either be restricted to you computer, or spend a ridiculous amount of money to get it to play on TV.

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:10 pm

Well, I know you can back up your DVDs using DVDShrink(on your PC). When I back up some of my DVDs, it has the option of leaving the R.C.E. coding unmodified. It also has the option of "Specify Region" where you can have the region anything you want: West Europe, Japan, African, South East Asia, etc. etc.

You still don't think I could get it to work?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:17 pm

It's not a matter of the region coding so much as it's a matter of an entirely different video frame-rate that American televisions have never been set-up properly to play back.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:24 pm

strangely enough all I needed to get the European/PAL Shenmue II Dreamcast to work on my NTSC USA made TV was a multi region boot disc, so I'm not entirely certain how that works with DVD video streams but it was still PAL on the Dreamcast discs...
-Laserkid

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Where can I order the PAL version of "The Saga of

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:42 am

M-Vegeta wrote:Can someone maybe give me a link to order the PAL version? The one mentioned in the DVD guide as having the Japanese track with English subtitles.
http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/item ... 288ba78943

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:55 am

Arent computer dvd players region free? I couldve sworn I heard there's a setting you can change for it.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:40 pm

laserkid wrote:strangely enough all I needed to get the European/PAL Shenmue II Dreamcast to work on my NTSC USA made TV was a multi region boot disc, so I'm not entirely certain how that works with DVD video streams but it was still PAL on the Dreamcast discs...
Indeed some weirdness exists with this issue, I imported this very DVD set that is the subject of this topic, and using my region free Philips DVD 724 it played just fine on my TV without any PAL converters or gadgets.

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:47 am

Maybe it was one big conspiracy ...!!! :D

I still MIGHT order it. I mean, if it doesn't play I can still watch on my PC.

Actually, I wouldn't mind owning both versions.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:52 pm

laserkid wrote:strangely enough all I needed to get the European/PAL Shenmue II Dreamcast to work on my NTSC USA made TV was a multi region boot disc, so I'm not entirely certain how that works with DVD video streams but it was still PAL on the Dreamcast discs...
The game, believe it or not, is actually programmed to recognize NTSC televisions.

As soon as I heard this, I did not hesitate to put down 30 dollars for Shenmue 2. Sure it's cheaper on X-Box in the long-run, but I just really didn't want to handle another system.

Gouki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:14 pm

Most TVs have the ability to show both PAL and NTSC with no problems at all. At least they do over here. Wouldn't it be the same in the US?
... Maybe later.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:28 pm

Gouki wrote:Wouldn't it be the same in the US?
Of course not. Why would we ever want to watch anything in PAL? :P

You're forgetting the ego-ism of American products.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:01 am

What's a PAL, anyway?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:14 am

PAL (Phase Alternating Line) is the video standard used in most European countries (other than France) and Australia. The US & Japan use NTSC (National Television System Committee).

There's a few variations on PAL, but it's commonly 25 fps, 625 horizontal lines, 50 Hz. NTSC is 30 fps, 525 horizontal lines, 60 Hz. Technically speaking, PAL is the superior of the two standards (it has a wider channel bandwidth).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:57 am

VegettoEX wrote:PAL (Phase Alternating Line) is the video standard used in most European countries (other than France) and Australia. The US & Japan use NTSC (National Television System Committee).

There's a few variations on PAL, but it's commonly 25 fps, 625 horizontal lines, 50 Hz. NTSC is 30 fps, 525 horizontal lines, 60 Hz. Technically speaking, PAL is the superior of the two standards (it has a wider channel bandwidth).
Hey, thanks!