Die-hard dub fans (why are you, if so?)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:27 am

I'd like to think that nobody takes this discussion THAT seriously. Daizex is hardly serious business.

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mystic trunks » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:29 am

m121akuma wrote:
mystic trunks wrote: Oh yeah.. There's no sarcasm in this post.Hypocrite.
Actually, there really isn't. At all. It's actually one of the more civil posts in the thread.
Yes. And it sure as hell is pompous.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:32 am

m121akuma wrote:I'd like to think that nobody takes this discussion THAT seriously. Daizex is hardly serious business.
But... it's on the internet...
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:35 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:You know, as I left the computer about an hour ago to walk to my friends house I was thinking about this on the way there and I said it to myself out loud, "Some guy on the internet told me I'm a lesser fan than him". You know what I did? I laughed! This whole thing has been incredibly silly.
That was more or less the crux of the point I was trying to make a few pages back. :lol: It's such a meaningless, dumbass label isn't it?
Onikage725 wrote:
m121akuma wrote:I'd like to think that nobody takes this discussion THAT seriously. Daizex is hardly serious business.
But... it's on the internet...
Oh fuck what 4chan says. Eight or nine times out of ten the internet is as far the hell away from "serious business" as it gets. Ten times out of ten in "fan" related shit of any sort.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:43 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:So yeah, just thought I'd throw that out there.... hope I didn't create any lasting grudges with anyone.
Nah, this was a fun conversation.

Though, speaking of things that are serious business, I sincerely hope the members here have Phantasy Star IV on their list of favorite RPGs. It's the game that got me into the RPG genre.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

Dr. Casey wrote:Though, speaking of things that are serious business, I sincerely hope the members here have Phantasy Star IV on their list of favorite RPGs. It's the game that got me into the RPG genre.
8) 8) 8)

It's my hands down #1 favorite RPG of all time. Always has been, always will be.

As I've always told Onikage, Rune Walsh could kick Magus' pasty white ass any day of the week. Ditto any other "badass RPG magic user" that ever was.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 am

Dr. Casey wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:So yeah, just thought I'd throw that out there.... hope I didn't create any lasting grudges with anyone.
Nah, this was a fun conversation.
Don't get me wrong, I had a hell of a time duking it out via text with you reckless sexy bitches, but it ran it's course and I realize I was really just arguing for the sake of argument on something that really has little to no importance. But hey, it's a forum, that's what we do.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:04 am

penguintruth wrote:Well, now, Chrono Trigger is something I can agree on. It's my favorite video game!
CT rocks, and if I didn't love it I wouldn't help with/made the site for...

(WARNING... plug incoming)

Chrono Trigger Unglued
-Laserkid

Sn4tcH

Post by Sn4tcH » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:16 am

I certainly don't like this "lesser" fan idea. I didn't buy my Japanese action figures and fanlations back in the day before the dub was popular, because I am a "lesser" fan. I've watched the show through in Japanese, I have the toys, the posters, the manga, the modded playstations, bought copies of every game released since the PSX, and the old fuzzy VHS tapes with bad translations to prove my "hardcoreness". I think it's ridiculous to think that just because I prefer to watch the show in English, simply because it is English, makes me a "lesser" fan. The Funi dub has become nostalgic to me, like Ninja Turtles or Batman The Animated Series.

In fact, I'm bigger fan than all of you because I love TWO versions of DBZ. Nyeh.

I'm being sarcastic of course. Maybe "lesser" was an unfortunate term used in an unfortunate post. I mean, you could simply say dub fan and sub fan, as we always have. It doesn't have to be "casual" or "lesser", those terms are insulting.
"I don't need to see Goku in 5000 Giga-watts in my way back machine to be happy" - NeptuneKai

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:50 am

This is what I love, the kiss'n make up bit after the online text-duel. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 am

mystic trunks wrote:
m121akuma wrote:
mystic trunks wrote: Oh yeah.. There's no sarcasm in this post.Hypocrite.
Actually, there really isn't. At all. It's actually one of the more civil posts in the thread.
Yes. And it sure as hell is pompous.
It continues to appear that when you simply don't like something, it's "sarcastic" and "pompous". That's not how the world works, my friend! It's pretty clear that unless I specifically say "mystic trunks is a pretty cool guy, and by the way, I really love FUNimation's dub!"... you're not going to be happy.

And that's really no concern of mine.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:42 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Oh fuck what 4chan says. Eight or nine times out of ten the internet is as far the hell away from "serious business" as it gets. Ten times out of ten in "fan" related shit of any sort.
1. I was being sarcastic.

2. I have never been, nor will never go, to 4chan.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:23 am

Onikage725 wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:Oh fuck what 4chan says. Eight or nine times out of ten the internet is as far the hell away from "serious business" as it gets. Ten times out of ten in "fan" related shit of any sort.

I just want to point out that there is nothing wrong with 4chan in general...it's just /b/ you need to worry about.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

saiyangerl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyangerl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 am

Rory wrote:This is what I love, the kiss'n make up bit after the online text-duel. :lol:
So would the video game icebreaker be the equivilent of an online bow chicka wow wow? :lol:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Onikage725 wrote:

1. I knew you were being sarcastic. I'd like to think after more than a decade, I can tell when you're being a wise-ass. :wink:

2. I was just speaking in general.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

isucamper

Post by isucamper » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm

I think "different" fan is a better way to say it less negative conotation than "lesser" fan. But lets think about this for a second.

Absolutely, we are "different" fans. We're fans of the "different" versions of this series. If that wasn't true, we wouldn't be having this arguement.

Once you've acknowledged that the dub is different, then you have to take into account that the Japanese version existed first and that the dub is an alteration of it. Maybe the crux of the arguement lies in just how "different" each of us feel the dub is. Fans intimately familiar with the original are offended by the subtle, yet theme altering changes that the dub presents. Fans of the dub who aren't as intimately familiar with the original don't see the subtle differences and can't see what the big difference is and consequently get offended when these differences are pointed out and labeled as being "better". Alternatively, fans of the original are offended when what they feel is a inferior version of the series is being supported and proliferated into modern media.

Is there really anything else to say? I think we could all peacefully coexist if these two versions (the dub and the original) existed as completely different entities and were labeled as such.

Maybe we need a "dub" forum, and an "original version" forum.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:58 pm

isucamper wrote:Maybe we need a "dub" forum, and an "original version" forum.
That would only reinforce that the decisions FUNimation has made with their treatment of the show and its altered information are... well, OK. Which they're not. Just look at all the misinformation coming from certain areas of the internet that we have to deal with the repercussions from. Setting it all aside with a pat on the head saying, "Aww, it's OK! You can go over here!" doesn't seem very helpful to anyone.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
isucamper wrote:Maybe we need a "dub" forum, and an "original version" forum.
That would only reinforce that the decisions FUNimation has made with their treatment of the show and its altered information are... well, OK. Which they're not. Just look at all the misinformation coming from certain areas of the internet that we have to deal with the repercussions from. Setting it all aside with a pat on the head saying, "Aww, it's OK! You can go over here!" doesn't seem very helpful to anyone.
And for the obligatory comparison, we One Piece fans didn't take these sorts of things sitting down, either. All the FUNimation dub/presentation has going for it amongst fans is nostalgia, whereas there was none for 4Kids' presentation of it.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Bah...! English. It's so hard to say one thing with also implying something else.
VegettoEX wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:Why does it matter what reasons we're enjoying it for? We're both enjoying it, so that makes us both fans of the show, right?
It doesn't matter to me, that's for sure.

The dub fans seem to be the ones that keep bringing it up and demanding justification for it.
Nor does it matter to me.
Chrono Trigger wrote:So do some of you guys make a point of clarifying what version of the anime you like? If asked would you say "I'm a fan of Dragon Ball" or would you say "I'm a fan of the the Japanese version of Dragon Ball" or you know...any variation of that sort of thing?
I guess it has to come up eventually. The exchange will probably go something like this:
ME: "Hey, so I like Dragonball."
Random dude: "Oh, you mean like, 'OVER 9000!!!?'" or "That show where everyone is constipated?"
ME: "Uh... no."

But that has a lot more to do with the fact that no one I know takes Dragonball seriously. This is mainly because of how the dub has recently been made fun of on the internet, but also because I guess people tend to associate Dragonball with a time in their childhood where they were interested thing that seem pretty lame nowadays.
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I'll be back when this dub vs sub bullshit finally blows over.
Never gonna happen. You'll be back when you learn to face the bullshit.
SSJ2bardock wrote:
penguintruth wrote:If I were a fan of only Voltron, and not Golion, could I be considered a Golion fan?
Yes, you could.
Really...? I'm curious how many people actually agree with that.
Big Momma wrote: Wait...what's the difference between Shin Chan and Crayon Shin Chan?
Funimation's "Shin Chan" = completely random episode order + script that's not even close to what was happening in the original (Although admittedly, the script in Japanese pretty much amounted to just one long string of potty jokes, but...) Rewrites are little bit more accepted in 100% comedy shows; not shows that try to create comedy where the originally was none.

Wiki gives a good description:
FUNimation's dubbing of "Shin Chan" takes many liberties with the source material. Since most episodes do not feature extensive continuity, FUNimation has chosen to take advantage of this by producing episodes of the series out of their original order. As a result, characters such as Ai are introduced much earlier than in the series' original Japanese run.

The FUNimation dub is adult-oriented, with many sexual references, dark humor, and references to current popular American culture, the latter of which makes the series appear to be set in the "present day" (2007), rather than in 1992 (the year the series was first broadcast in Japan). For example, in one scene, Ai and Penny argue over which one of them is Jessica Simpson (whose first album wasn't released until the late 90s) and which one is Ashlee Simpson (whose first album wasn't released until the mid-2000s), which is very different from the original Japanese script that dealt with many social issues within Japan at the time. At least two episodes reference Rudy Guliani and his unsuccessful bid for President.

The show also created new, previously non-existent backstories, as well as significantly different personalities for the characters, including, but not limited to, Penny Milfer's father (who has yet to appear in the series) being physically abusive toward both his wife and daughter, a running gag that the show uses for black humor. The Principal of Shin's school ("Super Happy Fun Time American School" in the dub) has also been substantially changed, becoming a half Gypsy, half Peruvian man with a complicated prior life that includes a stint as a magician, in which he accidentally killed/castrasted scores of audience members. Miss Polly, one of the teachers, has been rewritten as a kinky nymphomaniac, while Shin's schoolmate Georgie (Kazama in Japanese) has been turned into an absurdly hawkish conservative.

VegettoEX wrote: Am I not real? Do I somehow not exist?
You know, I wonder sometimes... (even though I hear your voice from the other side of my computer speakers every week)
laserkid wrote:Fans are fans. Am I somehow a lesser Star Wars fan if I enjoy the special editions and the prequels, but not the expanded universe past the bantam books era? If you said yes, you miss out on how much that series means to me, and are being a dick.
I agree with VegettoEX's comments and I would say that, yes, in this situation you are a lesser fan by definition. And that's not an insult. In fact there isn't even any correlation between a more obsessive fan being good and a less obsessive fan being bad. All that matters is how far you want to take it.

People might consider someone more of a nerd if they get super excited about Star Wars expanded universe books. I'm probably considered overly geeky by many of my fellow Yuugiou fans simply because they never remember the Japanese names of the characters while I've used them so often I barely remember their dub names now.

People tend to want to converse with those who not only share similar interests, but share similar interest levels with them. I guess some people expect that they should always be able to have an interesting conversation about their favorite manga-based franchise with anyone on this board even without starting on a common ground. But that won't always be the possible because there is a dichotomy over what interests them about the series, or how interested they are about certain aspects.
Big Momma wrote:But the dub fans here DO have an interest in discussing Dragonball, they DO want to know more about how Toriyama got his ideas, they ARE interested in the clever naming puns.
I know. That's what I just can't figure out. The fact that someone is a regular poster on this board already puts them above the average interest level in this kind of Dragonball trivia. So why do they still watch the dub exclusively, which frequently leaves out or changes those little tidbits? What's stopping them from liking both versions? I'm guessing it has to do mostly with the music and the character's voices. (In other words, it's about nostalgia. Which is fine.) If there is another explanation, I want to hear it.
VegettoEX wrote:I was thinking about that, but "casual" these days brings to mind "casual" vs "hardcore" gaming, and you can just just as hardcore about Wii Sports as someone else is about Left 4 Dead... so... that didn't work :/
Yeah, the fact that anyone regularly posts here pretty much means they're a "hardcore fan" of something Dragonball-related (or "Die-hard" as the titles suggests). So the dub fans who post here are rightly considered "Die-hard dub fans." I don't think any of them claim to be "Die-hard Japanese Dragonball fans." But then, some of them try to say it's the same thing. But if it was actually the same thing, then all "Die-hard dub fans" would also be "Die-hard Japanese fans."

YOU WILL ALL BECOME MY NIGGER SLAVES!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:53 pm

mystic trunks wrote:Vegetto EX wrote:
What I actually said and what you're conveniently ignoring is that two people watching two different versions of something will inherently and absolutely enjoy it for different reasons... because it's not the exact same thing, and therefore CANNOT be enjoyed the same way. That's common sense, right?

It's not impossible for me to enjoy the same things for the same reasons as you. It doesn't have to be EXACTLY the same for us to enjoy a common thing for the same reasosn.
Nail on the fucking head.

Back when I was a xenophobic little kid who still had his doubts about Dragon Ball Z, the thing that drew me towards Gohan's fight with Cell was seeing Gohan snap and finally unleash his true power. And this was back when my only exposure to DBZ was a couple of Ocean dub episodes and the few cell games episodes I saw prior to that.

And HOLY SHIT Kunzait, do you change your icon every five seconds or something? I was looking through the thread and you had a different avatar on every page I saw you post in :lol: And every time I go back to this page you have a different icon every single time? Is this a joke?!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler