What does this symbol mean?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

What does this symbol mean?

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:30 pm

Sorry if this question has been asked before but what does the symbol below, the one Goku had on his gi on Namek, mean? Does it say his name or something else?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What does this symbol mean?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:44 pm

Slickmasterfunk wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked before but what does the symbol below, the one Goku had on his gi on Namek, mean? Does it say his name or something else?
悟 is the "Go" in "Goku(u)." On its own (with appropriate kana), it is usually read "satori" (悟り). It can mean "realization," "understanding," or "enlightenment."
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Corvus Moore

Post by Corvus Moore » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:44 pm

Hmm I can`t actually recall...for the simple fact that on his gi previously it had been King Kais symbol...seems to be for Goku since he trained himself so long,but I really don`t know.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:44 pm

Corvus Moore wrote:Hmm I can`t actually recall...for the simple fact that on his gi previously it had been King Kais symbol...seems to be for Goku since he trained himself so long,but I really don`t know.
Wow... uhh... can you put a little more effort into the typing, please? ^^;;
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:42 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:悟 is the "Go" in "Goku(u)." On its own (with appropriate kana), it is usually read "satori" (悟り). It can mean "realization," "understanding," or "enlightenment."
Wow that's pretty cool. Thanks for the info!

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:47 am

Slickmasterfunk wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked before but what does the symbol below, the one Goku had on his gi on Namek, mean? Does it say his name or something else?

This particular symbol seems to mean "REMOTE LINKING FORBIDDEN". That's a peculiar thing to wear on one's gi...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:39 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:

This particular symbol seems to mean "REMOTE LINKING FORBIDDEN". That's a peculiar thing to wear on one's gi...
A while ago it showed the symbol he was asking about. Speaking about symbols, do any of you guys know what the symbol that Yamcha wears on his shirt in early DB means?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:31 am

"Happy" or something like that.

Heh, in the Cantonese dub Yamucha is named after that kanji ^_~ [Ar-lok, with "lok" being the same kanji as on his shirt]
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:32 am

Super Sonic wrote:Speaking about symbols, do any of you guys know what the symbol that Yamcha wears on his shirt in early DB means?
That's 樂, and it means "comfort/fun/enjoyment/music". It doesn't seem to have much use in Japanese outside of names, though it's probably more common in Chinese. It's very similar to 楽, so raku is probably the most common reading, though there's also gaku, gou, and the words 樂しい tanoshii, and 樂しむ tanoshimu.

(Hooray for getting Japanese input to work here!)