Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Oh well, at least he isn't talking about watching Dragon Ball on his "jAwes0m B00tlegz!!1" :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Rami

Post by Rami » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Raki wrote:It's not the same thing though.
Well, you certainly got me there. I fold!

Anyway. Getting back to topic, Piccolo's farewell to Gohan in GT made me bawl like a big baby. D8
"I'm starting to think Planet Namek is like the island on LOST [i]and you can never, ever leave.[/i]"

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Oh well, at least he isn't talking about watching Dragon Ball on his "jAwes0m B00tlegz!!1" :lol:
Agreed, if you're not going to support the show at least don't support the bootlegging industry while you're at it.

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball GT

Post by Armymanis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Krazy Monkey wrote:This is something that's been on my mind for a long time. I've been watching the Dragon Ball series on Youtube recently, and whenever the subject of Dragon Ball GT was brought up, I always read a bunch of negative comments about it. Why is it that people hate this show so much? I honestly don't understand all the hate for it.

I've watched all sixty-four episodes, and I loved it. It had the same type of epic battles that Dragon Ball Z had, along with many throwbacks to Dragon Ball, such as Goku being a kid, the Shadow Dragons (a few of them were born from wishes that were made in Dragon Ball, such as King Piccolo restoring his youth, Upa wishing his father back after Mercenary Tao killed him, etc.), and even the return of dead villains from the past. It even had a huge emphasis on adventuring, just as Dragon Ball did.

In my opinion, Dragon Ball GT was just as good as the other two. My only problem with it that it was way too short. Ironically, that's one thing people always complained about in Dragon Ball Z: The fact that the battles take several episodes (such as the "five minutes" it took for Planet Namek to explode while Goku was fighting Frieza).
Personally, I think that he should have bought the Dragonball DVD's. I think the creators should deserve to get some of the cash that people spend on the DVD's.

Krazy Monkey

Post by Krazy Monkey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:08 pm

...Okay, seriously. This is getting annoying, now. Yes, I've watched Dragon Ball/Z/GT episodes on Youtube, but that does NOT mean that I don't have any intention of buying the DVDs. In fact, didn't I ALREADY say that I was going to do that eventually, whenever I have the money to do so? Also, I was under the impression that the topic title says, "Dragon Ball GT", rather than "Krazy Monkey's Dragon Ball DVD collection". Again, can we PLEASE get back on topic?
Last edited by Krazy Monkey on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:16 pm

penguintruth wrote:That's probably what makes GT so disappointing, the fact that there were little bright points, that it wasn't entirely shit from beginning to end.
This is my main problem with GT. I actually like most of it. I enjoy the new outfits/appearances for characters (save that Goten's hair makes him too similar to Gohan and Vegeta at SSJ), I like the ideas for Tsfrui Vengeance and Dragonball Overuse, and could even tolerate Gero's Back Again.

But it's all done so badly.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:23 pm

The only portion of GT at this point that, despite its share of problems, I would still label as largely "good" is the Black Star Dragon Ball hunt. It was just so much fun, and they kinda did a good job of harking back to the 'old days' of DragonBall. But by the end of the Baby arc, you can kind of see how things were going and everything starts falling apart.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:48 pm

It's not entirely illegal to watch episodes of stuff on Youtube. Funimation does upload full shows on their official channel (so many that I decided to unsubscribe, because my other subscriptions were overshadowed by them all). But they don't have any of the Dragonball series uploaded. So therefore, it's pretty much illegal. Not so much as to watch it, as it is to upload it, I suppose, but yeah. It's not good either way.

As for GT, is there a thread somewhere that lists and explains all of the plotholes? Maybe even the Z ones too?

Aside from the stuff mentioned already, one of the things I hate about GT are the serious fan teases. Out of the maybe 10 episodes I own/have seen on TV, half of them lead to something not happening that should've. Most of them ruined by Goku lol. Things like Trunks and Goten about to fuse, or Uub about to kick some ass, or Gohan doing anything useful again. Bleh... Now that I think about it, I can't remember half of them. On paper though, GT doesn't sound too bad. I've read episode summaries for the entire series, and I always looked forward to seeing it ...until I saw some of it. :lol:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:09 pm

You know why I dislike GT?

They vow to bring back the spirit of the original Dragonball, and in the first few episodes you can see that. Let's list the things they did right.

- Made Pan and Trunks two of the main characters. It was good to have next Gen characters headline as was implied at the end of Z, even if Gohan, Videl, Goten, and even Oob-san(!) get squeezed out of the spotlight.

- They brought back Pilaf for the first episode.

- Made a Dragonball search the main plot. Man, there's nothing like getting back to the basics!

And then they flushed that potential down the proverbial crapper...

- They had the aforementioned power inconsistency with Goku, although I did like that the Battle Strength got scaled back for the enemies.

- Instead of making characters that got tossed into the useless bin in DBZ appear as mentors or semi-powerful supporting characters, It gave them.... stupid cameos. Epic Fail, Toei. I would have loved to see a weakened Kid Goku have a near even battle with Yamucha or Kuririn.

As for Goku becoming a kid, I really didn't mind that, but to each his own.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:56 pm

The entire series is just wasted potential. Almost every idea behind the bits of story is awesome. The Shadow Dragons in particular was just an amazing idea.

And it was executed about as well as the irritating battle filler moments in DBZ combined with the Bulma crab episode.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Krazy Monkey wrote:...Okay, seriously. This is getting annoying, now. Yes, I've watched Dragon Ball/Z/GT episodes on Youtube, but that does NOT mean that I don't have any intention of buying the DVDs. In fact, didn't I ALREADY say that I was going to do that eventually, whenever I have the money to do so? Also, I was under the impression that the topic title says, "Dragon Ball GT", rather than "Krazy Monkey's Dragon Ball DVD colletion". Again, can we PLEASE get back on topic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYJ5DiIrn0

Anyways, MY problem with GT; sure it's got plotholes, weak storylines, stupid occurences, character issues and all that, but what bothers me is that it just completely lacks the Toriyama spirit.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Can we leave the guy alone and talk about topic please? He's been watching Dragon Ball on Youtube? So what? He's not promoting anything or shoving URL's down our throats. What he does on his own time is his business. While I don't agree with it, that's not the topic at hand.

Anyways, I don't mind GT. It's a nice little adventure, and I'd rather have it then nothing. Besides, it's all filler, which doesn't usually tend to be good, anyway. There was plenty of humor, great action, incredible artwork, and we got to see Goku play around as a kid again.

The only problems I had with it were the Freeza/Cell fight, and the coloring of the artwork. The colors they used seemed really weird to me...and kind of dark.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Saying that you're going to buy the DVDs means nothing. It does not change the fact that he's a leech.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:04 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Saying that you're going to buy the DVDs means nothing. It does not change the fact that he's a leech.
And I'm sure you jumping down his throat is stopping his unforgivable crime-spree.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Big Momma wrote:And I'm sure you jumping down his throat is stopping his unforgivable crime-spree.
No but standing around acting like it's fine and dandy and not letting him know that what he is doing is wrong certainly won't help either.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Big Momma wrote:And I'm sure you jumping down his throat is stopping his unforgivable crime-spree.
No but standing around acting like it's fine and dandy and not letting him know that what he is doing is wrong certainly won't help either.
Exactly. So we stop discussing that, and start discussing the thread topic. "Dragon Ball GT".

I'm glad you understand. :D

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:No but standing around acting like it's fine and dandy and not letting him know that what he is doing is wrong certainly won't help either.
Railing about how evil he is helps even less than simply ignoring his evil deeds. The way I see it, you're the bad guy in this particular thread. You derailed it simply to make an issue of the way he watched Dragon Ball when he brought up a legitimate topic. If you really want to vent about pirates, make a topic about it. I don't think VegettoEX would mind.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:50 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:Saying that you're going to buy the DVDs means nothing. It does not change the fact that he's a leech.
And I'm sure you jumping down his throat is stopping his unforgivable crime-spree.
He can stop his own one man crime spree by buying the DVDs like the rest of us.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:52 pm

Can we change the name of this topic to "Complaining about Pirates" and make a new thread for the actual topic of discussion?

Rami

Post by Rami » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Raki wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
He can stop his own one man crime spree by buying the DVDs like the rest of us.
Holy overreaction, Batman! We must put a stop to Krazy Monkey's diabolical plan to uproot the anime industry! TO THE BATMOBILE, AWAY!
"I'm starting to think Planet Namek is like the island on LOST [i]and you can never, ever leave.[/i]"