Criticism

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Godo
I Live Here

Re: Criticism

Post by Godo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Hujio wrote:I don't see why people are so intrigued with all this, but that's just me. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, no matter how juvenile they may be. That's what makes the internet so annoying at times... It doesn't help that when you're well known, you basically become a huge target. Besides, until someone complained, I hadn't even given Mike's update a second thought since in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with it.
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:With all due respect VegettoEX, I really think you should have edited the news story to exclude the part about you not being a fan of the dub or at the very least, issued an apology.
With all due respect, I think you're reading too much into things. Mike only included that statement to show that even though he may not be a fan of his work on the dub, he's a fan of humanity and civility, and gave the man his support anyway.
Although it was a nice gesture, it was a bit too much to mention that he wasn't a fan of his work.
And his condolences should not have to do anything with the dub at all, if he wanted to show his support, he could have done so without having to support that with his view of the man's work, because it's humane and civil to be sorry for the loss for one of our fellow human beings even though you didn't like some thing(s) about them.
Just saying my views on this matter.

About the guy's reaction to Mike's comment, I have not much more to say, as you should try to calm down and think things through.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Godo wrote:... because it's humane and civil to be sorry for the loss for one of our fellow human beings even though you didn't like some thing(s) about them.
Except... that's what Hujio said. And Mike.

"Even though we may not be fans of FUNimation's dub(some thing you didn't like about them), anyone involved in any version of the show deserves our support at a time like this.(sorry for the loss of one of our fellow human beings)"
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:07 pm

B wrote:
Godo wrote:... because it's humane and civil to be sorry for the loss for one of our fellow human beings even though you didn't like some thing(s) about them.
Except... that's what Hujio said. And Mike.

"Even though we may not be fans of FUNimation's dub(some thing you didn't like about them), anyone involved in any version of the show deserves our support at a time like this.(sorry for the loss of one of our fellow human beings)"

I know. What I meant was that you don't need to add "Even though we may not be fans of FUNimation's dub" line.
Please read my post first!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Hujio wrote: With all due respect, I think you're reading too much into things. Mike only included that statement to show that even though he may not be a fan of his work on the dub, he's a fan of humanity and civility, and gave the man his support anyway. Does that not show any humility at all?

It just seems to me like the people complaining are the ones that are looking for something to complain about. Unfortunately, that means there isn't much to debate, because neither will budge on their thoughts. I'd say just give it up, because I can tell you that the man didn't mean anything by it.
I know VegettoEX didn't intend for this to become a problem but maybe he should have read over the news story again before he posted it and asked himself: "Will people take this the wrong way?" Because thats obviously what happened.

Writing about how you dislike the dub when reporting about a dub actor being seriously injured is just insensitive and out of place. When reporting about a news story you must not give your opinions or personal feelings in the article, doing otherwise is just bad journalism.

We know VegettoEX isn't a dub fan, if you visit the site you would know that, if you visit the forums you would know that, he has mentioned it time after time, yet he still felt the need to mention it again while reporting about one of the actors being hospitalized. Not apologizing and justifying why he did it while he was obviously in the wrong is just gasoline on the fire.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:05 pm

But Mike never said 'hated' or 'disliked' the dub, he treated the FUNimation dub just as he would any other foreign release of the series. Despite his not being a fan he explicitly wished Rager a speedy recovery. If anything, Mike comes off more as being apathetic to the dub.

But now I just sound like I'm defending him, which he doesn't need.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:57 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I know VegettoEX didn't intend for this to become a problem but maybe he should have read over the news story again before he posted it and asked himself: "Will people take this the wrong way?" Because thats obviously what happened.

Writing about how you dislike the dub when reporting about a dub actor being seriously injured is just insensitive and out of place. When reporting about a news story you must not give your opinions or personal feelings in the article, doing otherwise is just bad journalism.

We know VegettoEX isn't a dub fan, if you visit the site you would know that, if you visit the forums you would know that, he has mentioned it time after time, yet he still felt the need to mention it again while reporting about one of the actors being hospitalized. Not apologizing and justifying why he did it while he was obviously in the wrong is just gasoline on the fire.
There's a possibility anything anyone says could be taken the wrong way. If Mike worried about that every time he posted an update on DaizEX, he'd probably have gone nuts years ago. And even if he had tried to reword it differently, someone still would have found a reason to call it negative, because sometimes people just misinterpret things or hear what they want to hear.

If someone still wants to find malice in this even after there's been plenty of evidence otherwise, that's their own problem.
-Rachel

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:05 am

TripleRach wrote:There's a possibility anything anyone says could be taken the wrong way. If Mike worried about that every time he posted an update on DaizEX, he'd probably have gone nuts years ago. And even if he had tried to reword it differently, someone still would have found a reason to call it negative, because sometimes people just misinterpret things or hear what they want to hear.

If someone still wants to find malice in this even after there's been plenty of evidence otherwise, that's their own problem.
It wasn't malice, it was just the fact that it wasn't the right time to mention he wasn't a dub fan.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:48 pm

TripleRach wrote:There's a possibility anything anyone says could be taken the wrong way. If Mike worried about that every time he posted an update on DaizEX, he'd probably have gone nuts years ago. And even if he had tried to reword it differently, someone still would have found a reason to call it negative, because sometimes people just misinterpret things or hear what they want to hear.
Seriously, chill down for a minute.
I am not saying that Mike is a bad person, nor that he overall writes posts with malice.
Mostly he is just and he tries to be fair.

What I am saying is that in that certain update it was not a good idea to add something like that.
It's not a matter of misinterpretation, since I understand his message, but what I am saying is that it was not a good idea to add something like that when you are paying your respect.
TripleRach wrote: If someone still wants to find malice in this even after there's been plenty of evidence otherwise, that's their own problem.
Yeah, I would say that's the problem with you too, when it comes to my and Piccolo Damaioh's posts.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Do you think it would have been better if he phrased it like

"Although we don't usually report on dub exclusive news..."?
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Godo wrote:
Seriously, chill down for a minute.
I am not saying that Mike is a bad person, nor that he overall writes posts with malice.
Mostly he is just and he tries to be fair.

What I am saying is that in that certain update it was not a good idea to add something like that.
It's not a matter of misinterpretation, since I understand his message, but what I am saying is that it was not a good idea to add something like that when you are paying your respect.
I know what your posts said... but my post had nothing to do with that. :?: I was only stating that Mike rephrasing his statement probably would not have prevented this type of backlash about it, in response to Piccolo Daimaoh's suggestion.
Godo wrote:
TripleRach wrote: If someone still wants to find malice in this even after there's been plenty of evidence otherwise, that's their own problem.
Yeah, I would say that's the problem with you too, when it comes to my and Piccolo Damaioh's posts.
Maybe I should have been a little clearer about that, but it was a general statement about the overall controversy. Some people have been equating "I'm not a fan of his work" to "I hope he dies," which is certainly a gross exaggeration. Those type of people, with such a warped view of the situation, could just as easily find malicious intent in a statement like "We normally don't cover dub-related news." Thus, as I said originally, I don't think wording it differently would have helped the situation much.

It seems that a lot of what I said was misinterpreted, which is sort of ironic. :|
-Rachel

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:08 am

Blue wrote:Do you think it would have been better if he phrased it like

Definately, 100% agreed.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm sad that this has become a topic. Seriously.

People, if there's one thing the internet has taught us, it's that there's an infinite number of cliques that will take any given statement an infinite number of ways. And then they will proceed to bitch about it. We all do it, it's what fuels a good 70-80% of internet content to be blunt.

Now, people already have a good deal of animosity towards DaizEX (the community, the site, the owner, etc) because of a perception of elitism. I don't identify as an Otaku (mainly because I know what the word means :P), but that along with a number of idiotic terms are lobbed our way as a whole. This forum is about DragonBall, and as a result we come off somewhat singularly minded if your only exposure to us is via this forum. Yet, honestly, people that have met us in real life can probably attest that we're easy-going people (or at the very least, the people I've met and spoken to outside of posting here have proven as much).

The point here is that simply making a comment as neutral (to me) as "We may not be fans of FUNimation's dub" to buffer a post shouldn't cause people to intimate that Mike wants someone dead or is happy that they've been injured. Had a targeted statement like, "He may be the worst Mr. Satan we've ever imagined, and hopefully this will keep him away from a microphone from now on, but..." been made, then sure. However, as people have already said, this is just a case of people taking a single line from a statement and focusing on it while disregarding everything else that was said.

In summation, "LAWL INTERWEBS."
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Sure, I think the "While we may not be fans..." line was unnecessary. No, I don't think it was insensitive. No, I'm not surprised that the internet went ape-shiz over it.
What I find most amusing--or maybe perplexing--about this is ...
... Chris Rager is the dub actor that Mike has _praised_ the most.
Like, seriously... hasn't Mike said that he's thought Rager's Mr. Satan is one of if not the best performances in the dub?
But eh, not like the internet to let something like logic interfere with emotion. :(
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Blue wrote:Do you think it would have been better if he phrased it like

Definately, 100% agreed.
It didn't even need that. Just "our condolences go out to his family/friends." No other commentary was needed, IMO.

Also...did you guys know this happened a long time ago...? So...why are we still discussing it?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:08 pm

I posted but never really said my piece on it, since I wanted to see if anyone cared.

Honestly, whatever you read into it isn't the point. The point is the intended meaning. Mike was being genuine; if he wanted to be a dick, there are better ways. And frankly, I've always held the stance of "Go fuck yourself, if you if you want to take what I said and twist it like some circumlocuting pundit".

And yes, I did pick that word up at the dime store this morning. I find that investing in some good 10 and, dare I say, even 25 cent words, really helps to drive the point home.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:I posted but never really said my piece on it, since I wanted to see if anyone cared.

Honestly, whatever you read into it isn't the point. The point is the intended meaning. Mike was being genuine; if he wanted to be a dick, there are better ways. And frankly, I've always held the stance of "Go fuck yourself, if you if you want to take what I said and twist it like some circumlocuting pundit".

And yes, I did pick that word up at the dime store this morning. I find that investing in some good 10 and, dare I say, even 25 cent words, really helps to drive the point home.
And this. Regardless of how any of us felt about it, Mike has his own intended meaning.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:34 am

Wow. This guy really has some anger issues. He blew everything out of proportion while screaming about it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 pm

I remember reading Mike's piece on this the day he posted it and never gave it a second thought. In fact, it's rather ironic. I would have assumed that he put that clarifier on the post in order to avoid backlash. It's pretty well-known that DaizenshuuEX (and specifically Mike) is not a fan of the dub, and that, particularly in the past, Mike was quite vocal about that. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to say, "Hey, I know I may have said a lot of things in the professional realm, but since we're in the personal realm now and speaking on a human being's health..." I mean, why not qualify it? It's the same as if a Presidential candidate was seriously injured, and his hated opponent publicly spoke on it: "It is well-known that we have a reputation of fighting often and of not particularly caring for one another, but I want it known that my condolences are given to him and his family." Would anyone jump on that kind of statement...? Well, maybe. But I still see nothing offensive or out of place with that qualifier.

Unfortunately, though, the "backlash" has somewhat overshadowed the real issue. I can't recall if any recent news has come out on Chris Rager. Is he okay? Any word?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Unfortunately, though, the "backlash" has somewhat overshadowed the real issue. I can't recall if any recent news has come out on Chris Rager. Is he okay? Any word?
The last I heard (a few weeks ago) was that he'd be going home soon. :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:25 am

Wow, uhm okay.

I'm sort of with Mike in the sense that making a big deal out of this is silly, and only validates them, but since the cat's out of the bag, I'll offer a few thoughts.

1) He's entitled to his opinion, even if he knee jerk sillied, and seems to know he did

2) He knows he did, so there's no need to worry about it.

3) Saying things like Mike shouldn't have mentioned he didn't like the dub is silly. Saying it like that proves that - hey - I may not enjoy what you did but THAT DOESN'T MATTER - We should still rally behind you.

Thats a FAR more positive and backing statment then just "lets rally behind you" - because it points out the dubs irrelevant to wanting him to get better - and I personally think Mike did right by writing it that way. Honestly, I think this is another case of dub fans taking dub criticisism personally - even when it was meant for something other then talking about the dub.
-Laserkid