Dragon Ball vs. Naruto?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jaetinh
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball vs. Naruto?

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Well some Naruto fans don't like DB, but that's pretty obvious. Because many of them are fan girls who doesn't like males with mega 10 pack like Goku. They want 'OH SASUKEE-KUN' and 'SAKURA-CHAN'. (Makes me sick when they say that)
But I've never heard them say that DB isn't a true manga? Because that's the most idiotic thing ever.

My favorite 4 manga/anime
Dragon Ball
One Piece
Naruto
Bleach

But IMO the BEST top 4
One Piece
Dragon Ball
Naruto
Bleach

One Piece is amazing.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:55 pm

I liked the original Naruto, but after the time skip things went down hill right to the climax of Madaras (idiotic) ultimate "Using The Moon as Projector" plan. It's just Kishimoto's overuse of focus on Sasuke and less focus on Naruto, who clearly is the protagonist. Once in a while there will be somewhat good moments such as Killer Bee and Raikage decapitating Kisame with a clothesline, but for the most part it's basically boring and appalling.
But I still do read it. Why? Because I'm morbidly curious as to what stupidity Kishimoto churns out next.

Dragon Ball does have it's flaws, but it's still way better than Naruto. Why?
Because all of the main cast maintain their personalities throughout the entire shebang rather than being hollow vessels.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:08 pm

I really don't see the need for all the hate. As an avid angst and ninja lover, I like Naruto a lot, and as an avid superhero and nonsense lover, I like DB a lot. Infighting between the Four Temples of Shonen fandom really is insufferable, because the shows are really so much alike with a few variables that tailor them to diffferent tastes.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Doesn't Naruto have like 15 supporting characters? We start the series with Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura for the Intro Arc and the Wave Country Arc. We also get the guy thats supposed to be their mentor Kakashi. You know, most shonen series that involve fighting has a mentor, Master Roshi, Urahara etc. In the Chunin Exam arc and Invasion of Konaha arc we are introduced to the others. Shikamaru, Choiji, Ino, Kiba, Shino, Hinata, Neji, Rock Lee, Tenten, Gaara, Kankuro, and Temari, as well as their mentors. Many of them start off as antagonist for that arc, especially Gaara and his team. Then we have Naruto's other mentor Jiraya, who is who is a lot like Master Roshi.

As for Bleach, I think its a nice series. The main character is a badass, and some of the girls come off as being cute. I love Kon, he is one of my favorite characters. He reminds me of Oolong. Speaking of Oolong, imagine him in the Bleach universe and meeting Rukia, Orihime, the lieutenant of squad 10 etc. I would love to see what his relationship with Kon would be like.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:53 am

I remember when a similar topic like this came up and I believe it was DesireCampbell that said One Piece is more similar to the first part of Dragon Ball and Naruto is more like the latter half. I tend to like Son Goku's adventures as a kid, so I opt more for One Piece. In the end, I love them all and I'm probably in the smaller camp of fans that likes the second part of Naruto more than the first one. Sure, a lot of the story has somewhat degenerated since Pain's defeat, but I still enjoy it nonetheless. For One Piece's end, I love Oda's story structure and foreshadowing, it just keeps me in excitement. Shanks is one of favorite characters, so I've been really happy with the recent developments. The anime adaptations are certainly getting to be too slow paced for me (even One Piece's recent episodes), but I think that's because I, or rather the anime fanbase in general, have been getting too spoiled with week to week legal online streams readily available. Something that Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z hasn't received due to its much earlier release, so perhaps it's easier for us to nitpick on said pacings for something like Naruto Shippuuden. That's why it's probably just better to watch a chunk of episodes in a story arc or just simply read the manga. I tend to like the authenticity of the original artists anyways.

I do hate overzealous fans from any sort of spectrum, though. I always try to avoid such arguments demeaning one thing and claiming something else is the Holy Grail. You'll pretty much see these topics everywhere on the internet. Some much worse than others.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:23 am

To be honest, I don't see why there should be an arguement and hatred between the two series in the first place. Naruto is unique in its own way. There are some interesting aspects in Naruto series that kept me reading more and more. I even researched on several characters to give me more understanding on what was going on in the story and why the things happen. When it comes to story itself, Naruto is completely different from DBZ. Kinda like Batman is different from X-Men.

One Piece is just... meh. I don't like the art style. Too free-form. But the story is actually good. Not the top-notch but I still like it.

In the end, it's all about the taste. The arguement is just unnecessary because both is unique in their own way. I like both for the way they are. Naruto is fun to read just as much as DragonBall. IMO, anyway.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.